nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 am

i don't have any stock but i wish i did, or that i had bought some before it took off. But Tesla's technology is so far ahead of everyone else--other car makers don't have a clue and are at least 10 years behind. Why or How can that be? Here's my top 3.

Superchargger network: makes coast to coast travel possible. So many ICE drivers think they need that capability even though they don't use it.

Battery Pack: every cell has fuses on both the + and - ends; thermal cooling to each individual cell; integrated system-level thermal management; superior cell monitoring board design.

Performance: highly efficient traction system (5,000 lb car getting 300 Wh/mile, who else can do that?); torque and acceleration 0-60.

The list could go on but these are the targets for competition, and until someone else understands lithium batteries to this extent they are falling behind with every quarterly profit report.

What's the biggest impediment to Tesla's growth? Can't make the cells fast enough or in the quantity needed to supply the demand.

EVDRIVER

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Exactly and people are starting to figure it out even some of the dumb analysts who had their head in the sand all this time;) Stock analysts are mostly talking heads for the company as a marketing scheme to get clients. Tesla retail investors have far more knowledge and insight than the actual analyst out there it’s almost laughable. That’s one thing Misk was right about.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 pm

nlspace wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 am
...What's the biggest impediment to Tesla's growth? Can't make the cells fast enough or in the quantity needed to supply the demand.
I'll disagree with that — I think Tesla is doing a fairly good job of scaling battery production rapidly. My concern for Tesla's growth is the dearth of service in many areas and the difficulty of arranging service for many (no ability to call a service center and get an actual person to discuss a problem, for example). With the rapid scaling of cars delivered, Tesla needs to drastically increase service centers OR allow service by licensed independents (and keep them well-supplied with parts, an issue with collision repair shops).

This is my view as someone with 85k Tesla miles in less than four years, numerous service center and mobile service visits, and as someone who lives 300 miles from the nearest service center (which serves three large states) — I laugh when people complain about having to drive an hour or two to get to a service center! They have no idea of what it is like in much of the country.

One way to decrease the service load would be to increase the QC of delivered cars and to make them more reliable to begin with; my sense is that they've done that, to some degree, with the Model 3 and I hope that it continues with the Model Y. However, things break and with no independent service options and a very limited service center network, I think that there will be a sizeable subset of potential customers who will have to pass on driving a Tesla. One advantage of driving an ICE car is that you can get it repaired almost anywhere. Eventually that should also apply to EVs from the major auto companies.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:56 pm

I very much agree with you. One of my Tesla owning neighbours had to wait three weeks to get her car fixed. I know a hybrid and EV (only) mechanic and he can't get parts for Tesla easily (junk yards mostly). Improving QC will help their reputation and cut down on repairs but things will happen anyway so I still want parts and information available for independents just so people can get repaired faster. Will help people with old out of warranty Teslas which will eventually happen as well, as I am sure Tesla would prefer to focus are cars less than 10 years old (in the future). I notice you are a single car household taking your car away for three weeks would be a pain.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 am
I wonder how many people on this thread own Tesla shares and have done very with it and how many have none. I can guess who might and might not pretty well based on the comments and misinformation. It's a pretty easy stock to follow and there are plenty of indicators and issues to watch. People that paid attention (not just expected it to go up) could have made enough to buy a M3 and actually see why the company is doing well and not have to worry about crappy charge networks and range issues.
Since you are making this personal I'll respond in kind. I mostly buy index funds, not individual stocks.

Actually considered buying some TSLA at about $25. Considered it a lottery ticket. Almost surely worthless. Or wild payout. Almost nothing between.

Still is a lottery ticket. Price is higher, odds are better. TSLA is still one mistake away from bankruptcy. Or one or more of the majors getting a clue. That is going to be true for a while. Might be worth ~5% of S&P500 in 10 years, another 10X gain. Or $0. Pays your money, picks your horses.

I can't deal with a M3 due to family physical issues. Only Tesla car I could consider is the X. The E-Tron is a better choice for me. Can't do some road trips, but for various reasons not related to charge networks those are unlikely at best.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

EVDRIVER

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:44 pm

WetEV wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm
EVDRIVER wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 am
I wonder how many people on this thread own Tesla shares and have done very with it and how many have none. I can guess who might and might not pretty well based on the comments and misinformation. It's a pretty easy stock to follow and there are plenty of indicators and issues to watch. People that paid attention (not just expected it to go up) could have made enough to buy a M3 and actually see why the company is doing well and not have to worry about crappy charge networks and range issues.
Since you are making this personal I'll respond in kind. I mostly buy index funds, not individual stocks.

Actually considered buying some TSLA at about $25. Considered it a lottery ticket. Almost surely worthless. Or wild payout. Almost nothing between.

Still is a lottery ticket. Price is higher, odds are better. TSLA is still one mistake away from bankruptcy. Or one or more of the majors getting a clue. That is going to be true for a while. Might be worth ~5% of S&P500 in 10 years, another 10X gain. Or $0. Pays your money, picks your horses.

I can't deal with a M3 due to family physical issues. Only Tesla car I could consider is the X. The E-Tron is a better choice for me. Can't do some road trips, but for various reasons not related to charge networks those are unlikely at best.
It's not personal and anyone that analyzes stock could see Tesla was a great buy at 10X that. It's not a lottery ticket if you have followed the company recently and I don't mean the FUD here or in the headlines. It's not a sure thing but it is a calculated risk, I bet you wish you bought at $25. Personally I have never lost a dime on a stock in 20 years and hope not to:) Not advice..

WetEV

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:56 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:44 pm
It's not personal and anyone that analyzes stock could see Tesla was a great buy at 10X that. It's not a lottery ticket if you have followed the company recently and I don't mean the FUD here or in the headlines. It's not a sure thing but it is a calculated risk, I bet you wish you bought at $25. Personally I have never lost a dime on a stock in 20 years and hope not to:) Not advice..
Tesla is still a lottery ticket. If Tesla becomes the "new GM" without effective anti-trust action, then TSLA is a great buy.

If not, not. Tesla will become the new Willys-Overland. Or worse.
Jeeps still have fans. And the Jeep Wagon was the first SUV...Seen any SUVs lately?

I don't regret not putting my net worth or my lunch money on black. Even if black comes up.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:39 am

Seen any SUVs lately?

You haven't???
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:29 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:39 am
Seen any SUVs lately?

You haven't???
Exactly.
WetEV
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:38 am

Open your eyes when you're driving, man!! ;)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”