jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: The RAV-4 PHEV Topic

Sun May 31, 2020 4:34 am

GRA wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm
jjeff, I feel the same about the power/accel, but if it means more people will buy it, that's good. I remain more concerned about whether or not it has spare tire stowage and a normal height load floor, i.e. not like the Prius Prime. We'll see.

BTW, presumably you meant the Outlander, not Highlander. Mixing corporations there! :lol:
Corrected, yes sorry Outlander :oops:
Apparently the rest of the world?? has a new Outlander while N. America trudges on with the old design. It took forever for North America Mitsubishi to get us the PHEV Outlander and by the time they did it was basically outdated :roll:
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA

Sun May 31, 2020 7:10 am

GCR:
Prime: 42-mile plug-in could cost less than RAV4 Hybrid

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... av4-hybrid

Just for Leftie:
. . . XSE versions of the Prime start at $42,545 and get a two-toned roof and black machined-alloy wheels, plus paddle shifters, Qi wireless charging, ambient inside lighting, and exterior LED accents. . . .

Separately on the XSE, a Weather Package adds a heated steering wheel, heated rear outboard seats, and rain-sensing wipers with a wiper de-icer for $815, while a $2,435 Weather and Audio Package adds to that JBL premium audio, three years of dynamic navigation, and one year of Destination Assist.

Fully optioned XSE models will include the $5,760 Weather with Audio and Premium Package, piling on the aforementioned upgrades plus a 120V AC power outlet in the cargo area, a panoramic moonroof, hands-free “kick” power-hatch actuation, heated-and-ventilated front seats, parking assist, a head-up display, and adaptive front headlights.

That puts the grand-total cost of a loaded XSE at $49,305—before including any additional a la carte options. . . .

There’s still more information to come regarding the Prime. Toyota hasn’t yet released charging times; EPA fuel economy and range ratings aren’t out yet; and the official battery capacity remains under wraps. A 3-kw onboard charger is standard on both the SE and XSE, but in order to get an upgraded 6.6-kw charger—and top charging times during dinner or shopping—it appears you need to get the top-optioned XSE. . . .

So as usual, to get stuff you want you've got to take a bunch of expensive crap you don't. A PHEV can certainly live without the faster charger, and I'd opt for the SE except that I want to be able to control Regen, preferably with paddles. That'd apparently cost me an extra $3.3k for the XSE - Aaughhhhh!
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sun May 31, 2020 7:36 am

IEVS:
Toyota Reveals Pricing For 2021 RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrid

https://insideevs.com/news/426107/toyot ... av4-prime/

This article has more details on options, including the following:
The HV battery is covered for 10 years/150,000 miles, whichever comes first, and is transferrable across ownership.
That sounds like a defects warranty rather than a capacity one, although a capacity warranty is less critical with a PHEV.

Then there's this, for the SE:
The available Weather & Moonroof Package (+$1,665 upgrade) is chock-full with upgrades like a heated steering wheel, heated rear outboard seats and rain-sensing windshield wipers with de-icer function, for added convenience. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun May 31, 2020 1:20 pm

So you can get a RAV-4 Prime with cloth seats and heated steering wheel? That would be nice, although it's unlikely we'd get one after our experience with the engine on our PIP developing serious issues.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:41 am

I'm just fine with the base model and would prefer cloth seats but the seats really need to be heated(prefer in the rear also) and I'd pay extra for the heated steering wheel. I'd REALLY like something faster than a measly 3kw charger and would pay for it. I DON'T want a sunroof but wouldn't mind the paddle shifters, especially if they can control regen.
$40k is kind of my pricepoint but guess I could go higher if it would mean getting the things I want. Now I assume?? all models will have a heat pump heater? kind of a must too but I suppose I could get by without it, but wouldn't like too. The Prius Prime has a heatpump and assume the RAV4 would also.....
Of course this all hinges on something with decent seats(no Volt or Bolt seats need apply) and enough leg room. I despise a cramped feeling cabin with no room for my knees, again like the Volt, the Bolt was OK.

edit:
Well after reading GRA's links some more(thanks GRA!) it looks like to get the upgraded 6kw charger must purchase the top of the top of the line model, no thanks!
To get the paddle shifters one must get the upgraded XSE which forces you to get the sunroof(or as they call it the moon roof) again no thanks.
All models include a heat pump heater! nice.
To get a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats on the base model one must get a sunroof! again no thanks and this really sucks!
Unless I missed it?? I see no mention of leather on any models or trim options......I know when we got our Prius back in '07 Leather was only available in the top top trim model so skipping it was no problem.
I guess to not get the damn sunroof I'll have to forgo heated rear seats and steering wheel not to mention paddle shifters and the 6kw charger, F*ing Toyota! And to think my first Leaf was a base model with only the charger package and I got EVERYTHING I wanted but nothing I didn't....At least Nissan got that right.
Still interested but not too happy about the options.
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm

We seem to be on much the same page as to what we do and don't want. I could live without rear-heated seats as there's so rarely anyone in them, and while a heated steering wheel would be nice it's not a necessity, nor do I want a sunroof. If I could pay for a faster charger separately I'd take it, but I'm not about to buy thousands of dollars of unwanted crap to get one in a PHEV, which has much faster "charging" available everywhere.

What I want is an SE with regen on paddles, but can't get it. Also cloth seats, although I can always put covers on vinyl. Good, preferably adjustable lumbar support's critical, although I'd happily do without power seats.

LeftieBiker

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

I guess to not get the damn sunroof I'll have to forgo heated rear seats and steering wheel not to mention paddle shifters and the 6kw charger, F*ing Toyota!
Unless you need the extra headroom that is eaten up by a sunroof, don't forgo the heated sears and wheel to avoid the sunroof. They do usually come with removable ceiling panels to hide them.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:15 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
I guess to not get the damn sunroof I'll have to forgo heated rear seats and steering wheel not to mention paddle shifters and the 6kw charger, F*ing Toyota!
Unless you need the extra headroom that is eaten up by a sunroof, don't forgo the heated sears and wheel to avoid the sunroof. They do usually come with removable ceiling panels to hide them.

Headroom is only part of the issue, although an important one for many incl. me. There's also the possibility of damage (hail, things falling off trees etc.) or malfunction and repair costs, and leakage issues over the long term through deteriorating seals.

I don't know anyone who spends much time in a car looking up at an angle more than 10 deg. or so, so why pay extra for something that has so many negatives and almost no positives? If I want an open-air feeling in a car, nothing beats a convertible - BTDT. Otherwise my technique is to pull over and step out of the car.

jjeff

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:44 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
I have a quite tall torso so headroom is quite important. It might not be an issue with the Rav4 even with a moonroof so I'll probably have to sit in one, I know it was on smaller sedans I sat in some years back.
My first car had a sunroof, a nice manual crank Audi 100LS(used) I liked it could be operated without turning on the car and on that car anyway I had no issues with headroom. I also added a manual pop-up sunroof to a car after that, a 67' Dodge Dart with the 225 slant-six, that sunroof wasn't as nice as the Audi's as to open it totally up it had to be removed(pretty easy) otherwise the rear just popped up, again no issue with headroom on the Dart, it was wide open.
What I don't like about the Rav4 options is your basically forced to get the sunroof unless you want the base model. People probably feel this way about Leather seats on some brands like Nissan, to get anything but the base you are forced to get leather. I personally prefer cloth but could live with leather just don't like how it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter, at least Toyota doesn't seem to force you to get leather to get other options.
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:08 pm

My Civic Si had a non-optional pop-up sunroof. I thought it was leaking for a while, but it turned to to be the windshield(?) and the leak was never successfully fixed. I garaged the car. I used it once in a while, but would have been happy without it.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”