What happened to my $99 deposit, am I going to get it back?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just wondering. I feel like I'm out $99 dollars right now. Also, wish I could edit my last post in this section but the powers that be don't allow it. I posted in the wrong area. Newbie mistake.

EVLover said:
Just wondering. I feel like I'm out $99 dollars right now. Also, wish I could edit my last post in this section but the powers that be don't allow it. I posted in the wrong area. Newbie mistake.

You can cancel your reservation or order anytime (even up to the day of delivery/pick-up) on your account dashboard at the Nissan website. If you cancel, you will receive a refund of your $99 deposit.

I don't plan to cancel. I just want to know what happened to my $99. Does Nissan credit it back to me after I close the deal? Is it gone forever and my car just cost me $99 more than I thought? Just wondering.

EVLover said:
I don't plan to cancel. I just want to know what happened to my $99. Does Nissan credit it back to me after I close the deal? Is it gone forever and my car just cost me $99 more than I thought? Just wondering.

Oh, I've heard two different possibilities: 1. After the sale/delivery, Nissan credits it back on the card you used. 2. Nissan keeps it as a 'deposit' for your right to reserve and order. IMO, I believe #1.

If people would simply read the terms when they paid the $99 they would have the answer or they could go back to the Nissan site and read it again. I'm not sure which part of "fully refundable" is difficult to comprehend but I'm sure there will be many more threads started on this and other topics because people simply don't take the time to look things up themselves, the answers are there. If someone is concerned at what point the $99 is refunded after they buy the car after being told it is refundable then I can't see how they will make it through the contract signing process.

"If People"!!! How insulting is that. I guess EVDriver is not an EVlover, and excludes himself from merely the "people." My question is reasonable and others may be curious to know the answer. Of course, one can investigate this elsewhere and save EVDriver the trouble of having to read it but this site is intended for people to learn and share, right? Or is it for people to point out how stupid another person is? I prefer to think of it as a place where like-minded (Nissan EV-wise) can share and not be rundown and ridiculed! But back to the matter at hand: A "fully refundable" deposit when associated with a car purchase usually applies if you choose NOT to buy, and is between two parties. In this case I do intend to buy and the deposit was given to Nissan; there is a buyer and (bare with me here as this is tricky and involves a little math) a seller (the dealer), so there are three parties (with me so far EVDriver?). My dealer sure doesn't have the deposit and Nissan isn't even part of the purchase deal. I think it may be a conspiracy to get $99 of all us suckers who actually buy the car. We reap what we sew. I try a little levity and EVDriver declares himself as not one of the "people." Then who is he?

EVDRIVER said:
If people would simply read the terms when they paid the $99 they would have the answer or they could go back to the Nissan site and read it again.

I'm the kind of guy that does my own homework, and I've looked.

I can not find the original reservation terms on the Nissan site. Can you?

I was in.. a bit of a hurry while reserving on 4/20, and did not print out the agreement, or save it somewhere.

So I too am a little puzzled on how the purchase/delivery/$99 relate. I've heard (on this forum) both that it's a lost "reservation fee" for people who purchase, that it will be credited after the sale, and that it will be figured into the sales invoice. I haven't seen a Nissan agreement that clarifies this. Have you?

EVDRIVER said:
If people would simply read the terms when they paid the $99 they would have the answer or they could go back to the Nissan site and read it again.
Do you know the answer? If so, could you tell us?

C'mon guys....take a deep breath and relax a little. EVDriver has probably contributed more to this forum than any other poster, IMHO. I agree 100% with him that many posts here reflect a lack of "due diligence and research" by the poster. When I paid my $99, I clearly understood that I could cancel and would be fully refunded, at my request. I may cancel my reservation at any time up until I take actual delivery of the car. If I take delivery, I may have the $99 applied to the price of the car, or have Nissan refund my money. OK?? :?

derkraut said:
C'mon guys....take a deep breath and relax a little. EVDriver has probably contributed more to this forum than any other poster, IMHO. ]
Agree

If I take delivery, I may have the $99 applied to the price of the car, or have Nissan refund my money. OK?? :?

But has Nissan actually said that, and in writing, or is that an interpretation?

As I said early I thought this an interesting question that others might like to know the answer too. And, it turns out I wasn't wrong. I was just annoyed at the arrogance of EVDriver. It's still an open question then? And, yes I could ask Nissan, and probably will, but if I did that and didn't share it or pose the question here in the forum others would not benefit. Night all, I'm just off to plug-in my Prius for the night....

....Just kidding, I wish!

I would be Most Obliged if someone could spare the few moments to post a link to a written statement by Nissan that explains the disposition of the $99 after delivery.

Maybe someone printed out their reservation agreement? Maybe there's a link somewhere I'm too dense to find?

As esteemed as our fellow board members are, I'm really looking for the Word of Nissan here, and not opinions or third-hand guesses as to what will happen.. I want to know what I agreed to in such haste.

EVLover said:

Two seconds of common sense says Nissan is not going to take your money wouldn't you say that? It has been stated clearly online in writing that the $99 deposit is refundable. Clearly you will get a refund to your credit card or at the dealer when you buy, how much question or concern really goes into something that logical. My point is this is something you can figure out with a few seconds of common sense unless you really think it's a scam or you are so concerned weather the money goes to your card or is credited to the car purchase price, as if that is such a a pressing concern. Your $99 is gone forever, everyone else gets a credit:)

EVDriver, you seem to be enjoying this quite a bit.

When it comes to contracts and agreements, I don't give two bits about common sense. I care about what the written agreement says. This has worked well for me in the past.

Nissan calls the $99 a "Reservation Fee". It is refundable, but the only situation described clearly is a cancellation.

In my experience, most Fees are not refunded if the transaction is consummated. If I was going by common sense, I'd say the fee is Refundable for cancellation, otherwise collected and retained by Nissan.

If it was credited, it would be a Deposit, or down-payment, right? So far, I've seen nothing from Nissan that says we are getting it back, either in the delivery transaction, or refunded later. Feel free to prove me wrong with something more actionable than common sense.

GroundLoop said:
EVDriver, you seem to be enjoying this quite a bit.

When it comes to contracts and agreements, I don't give two bits about common sense. I care about what the written agreement says. This has worked well for me in the past.

Nissan calls the $99 a "Reservation Fee". It is refundable, but the only situation described clearly is a cancellation.

In my experience, most Fees are not refunded if the transaction is consummated. If I was going by common sense, I'd say the fee is Refundable for cancellation, otherwise collected and retained by Nissan.

If it was credited, it would be a Deposit, or down-payment, right? So far, I've seen nothing from Nissan that says we are getting it back, either in the delivery transaction, or refunded later. Feel free to prove me wrong with something more actionable than common sense.

So you pay what you call a "fee" if you complete the transaction but you get a refund if you cancel. That makes complete sense. There was a contract online as well.

GroundLoop said:

I feel no need to prove you wrong, but I distinctly remember reading in the terms and conditions of the reservation process that the $99 fee would be applied to the purchase price of the car at the dealership when the transaction was completed. I can't find that documentation on their website now, but I believe that is because the reservation process is now closed and they have taken down the links to the reservation terms. A simple call or live chat with support will resolve this issue for you, but it makes no sense to me at all that a "fee" would be 100% REFUNDABLE if you cancel your reservation, but would be charged on top of the purchase price to a customer who completed the process and actually bought the car.

My sense of the reservation fee was that it was used to filter out nominally interested or just curious people from cluttering the system with non-serious or bogus (or even duplicate) reservations. I don't believe it was designed to be a bonus income stream for Nissan as a premium added to the MSRP. Everyone who buys the car initially (aside from fleet purchases, which are handled through another process) will have paid the $99 fee. It would be far simpler and less expensive for Nissan to have their dealers make the $99 deduction automatically on their standard purchase contract for the Leaf than to initiate thousands of credit card transactions to refund the fee after the fact.

Maybe my memory is failing me here, but I am not the least concerned about this issue. Calling something a fee does not preclude it from also becoming a deposit or downpayment if the reservation is not canceled.

TT

There is a previous thread on this

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1315&hilit=refund+of+reservation+fee

planet4ever and garygrid both asserted that the $99 is refunded(credited to you card) by Nissan (not the dealer) when you cancel, or when you take delivery of the car. And that sounds very reasonable and I found it sufficient for my purposes.

But to groundloop's point, there was no official Nissan reference cited. So the nailed down answer is still outstanding.

If someone gets a live chat or e-mail response from Nissan confirming the above, I'm sure a posting of that on the forum will be appreciated.

charlie1300 said:
There is a previous thread on this

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1315&hilit=refund+of+reservation+fee
Leon's reply in that thread is hilarious:
"99$ refund comes in the form of a BP giftcard"

Maybe Leon actually has some more serious insight on this reservation/refund/fee process, being a dealer rep and all. Since Nissan support is closed for the weekend, he might be able to resolve this issue if he sees this post or someone PMs/calls him. He's on the job 24/7, it seems...:D

TT

Who'd of thought my little question would have solicited such a great debate. And if it wasn't for the initial belligerent response from EVDriver we wouldn't be having this much fun, so kudos to the grumpy guy. Of course, a call to Nissan will get us the answer but it's been such fun I don't want it to stop. Sometimes the facts can get in the way of a good story.

EVLover said:
Who'd of thought my little question would have solicited such a great debate. And if it wasn't for the initial belligerent response from EVDriver we wouldn't be having this much fun, so kudos to the grumpy guy. Of course, a call to Nissan will get us the answer but it's been such fun I don't want it to stop. Sometimes the facts can get in the way of a good story.
I'm glad we could amuse you. :D

Just for my own info, I called support this morning and was assured that the $99 fee for my reservation would be returned when I purchased the vehicle or cancelled my order, either way. How this would be done was not known to the support tech. At least it is clear that it is not an additional cost on top of the price of the car to reserve your place in line.

TT

Back