gene
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014

California SCE customers can get $14,500 incentives total on any new 40 kwh Leaf!

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:52 pm

I was so surprised to see that nobody has mentioned this incredible incentive for new 40 kw Leaf's.

Until April 1st, you can get in addition to all other incentives, yet another $3500 if you are an SCE customer and you buy a new 40 kw Leaf.

Your total incentives are:

Federal $7500
State $2500
Normal SCE $1,000 (for any EV new or used)
New, additional Leaf only $3500.

That's total of $14,500 of incentives!

If you buy the last expensive 40 kw Leaf, it is nearly 50% off!

https://energized.edison.com/stories/sa ... issan-leaf
"Drivers who are thinking about buying an electric vehicle have a new incentive to make the switch.

Nissan is offering Southern California Edison residential customers and employees a $3,500 rebate on the purchase of a new Nissan LEAF - Opens in new window. This includes all three trim levels with the 40 kWh battery and all current model years.

The rebate is on top of SCE’s $1,000 Clean Fuel Reward - Opens in new window, the federal EV tax credit - Opens in new window and any applicable California clean vehicle - Opens in new window rebates. Customers who buy a LEAF could save up to $14,500.

The offer is good at authorized Nissan dealerships and runs through April 1, or while vehicle supplies last, whichever comes first. Customers can find a nearby dealership using Nissan’s dealer locator - Opens in new window tool."
Sold 2013 Leaf. Sold 2013 Model S. These days we have three Model 3's in the household. Mine, my wife's, and my son's. On the roof: 8.8 Kw solar, 2 Powerwalls.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: California SCE customers can get $14,500 incentives total on any new 40 kw Leaf!

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:38 pm

That tells me, among other things, that the Leaf is not selling well...
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: California SCE customers can get $14,500 incentives total on any new 40 kw Leaf!

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:54 pm

gene wrote:I was so surprised to see that nobody has mentioned this incredible incentive for new 40 kw Leaf's.
The offer is good at authorized Nissan dealerships and runs through April 1, or while vehicle supplies last, whichever comes first. Customers can find a nearby dealership using Nissan’s dealer locator - Opens in new window tool."
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw". You're talking about 40 kWh Leafs. 40 kWh Leaf has a 110 kW motor. See https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa ... -press-kit.

Also see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p520169.

As for thru April 1st, that's no surprise. 62 kWh Leaf e+ is supposed to ship Spring 2019. April 1st is the day that tax credit on GM EVs and PHEVs gets cut in half to $3750 from $7500. Presumably, Nissan wants to thin out stock of 40 kWh Leafs and perhaps doesn't feel the need to as heavily discount starting April 1st due to the GM tax credit reduction.

I'm not sure the incentive is that incredible. Just like the PG&E deal (https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/n ... ic_vehicle) that ended 1/2/19, both are taken off MSRP ($3000 in the PG&E case). The flyer at https://energized.edison.com/internal_r ... %20SCE.pdf also talks about $3500 off MSRP. Nobody in their right mind should be paying MSRP on an '18 or '19 Leaf anyway, so the savings might be minimal or 0 esp. given "This incentive cannot be combined with any other Nissan special incentives."

The $7500 has been going on since at least 2010. The $2500 (was $5000 at the beginning in 2010) has been going on for ages, since maybe 2011 or 2012. Unfortunately, an income limit was added so and I make too much $ so I can't qualify for CVRP.

Regardless, thanks for the mention for those in SCE-land who might've been unaware of both of these.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:44 pm

The 3500 off "deal" has been extended - and includes 2500 off a Leaf plus for SCE customers.

But the fine print on the flyer does say "off MSRP" so that indeed may not prove be very useful.
I already noticed a dealer in Santa Clarita offering a dealer discount of 3000 before any negotiating, including leaf plus.

I will say I was in AV Nissan in Palmdale and they definitely seemed like they wanted to sell a leaf to me, but I wasn't ready to talk offers.
But then they still had 4 or 5 SV's from 2018 sitting on their lot!

For my area you can currently get:

7500 FED credit
2500 state rebate
$1000 SCE rebate
$3000 Kern Air Rebate
*$3500/$2500 Nissan SCE off MSRP

That last one, I would think I would want to negotiate lower than 3500 below MSRP anyway, so I doubt they would allow it.
Especially on a Leaf plus, An SV with Tech and Weather pack comes out to $42105 MSRP before dealer add-ons!! :o

Anyway, in my area that's 14000 of REAL credits and rebates, 17500/16500 if somehow you use the Nissan SCE deal

Almost makes buying a leaf worth while, depending on how much you can talk them down on your own.
But my area is HOT and who knows how the plus battery will survive?

I keep hoping to see a Kia Niro EV at a dealer but none yet...

Anyway, link below to the SCE flyer.

https://energized.edison.com/internal_r ... -15-19.pdf
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 pm

danrjones wrote:
I keep hoping to see a Kia Niro EV at a dealer but none yet...

Anyway, link below to the SCE flyer.

https://energized.edison.com/internal_r ... -15-19.pdf
The problem with the Niro is that it's overpriced. Base model is $40k. At that price, I'd rather have a Tesla.
2019 Leaf SL ProPilot
2018 Pacifica Hybrid

cwerdna

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 am

danrjones wrote:The 3500 off "deal" has been extended - and includes 2500 off a Leaf plus for SCE customers.

But the fine print on the flyer does say "off MSRP" so that indeed may not prove be very useful.
I already noticed a dealer in Santa Clarita offering a dealer discount of 3000 before any negotiating, including leaf plus.

I will say I was in AV Nissan in Palmdale and they definitely seemed like they wanted to sell a leaf to me, but I wasn't ready to talk offers.
But then they still had 4 or 5 SV's from 2018 sitting on their lot!

For my area you can currently get:

7500 FED credit
2500 state rebate
$1000 SCE rebate
$3000 Kern Air Rebate
*$3500/$2500 Nissan SCE off MSRP

That last one, I would think I would want to negotiate lower than 3500 below MSRP anyway, so I doubt they would allow it.
Especially on a Leaf plus, An SV with Tech and Weather pack comes out to $42105 MSRP before dealer add-ons!! :o

Anyway, in my area that's 14000 of REAL credits and rebates, 17500/16500 if somehow you use the Nissan SCE deal

Almost makes buying a leaf worth while, depending on how much you can talk them down on your own.
But my area is HOT and who knows how the plus battery will survive?
Not sure if a Bolt is something you'd consider and I don't know the reputation of this dealer, but I see some discounting at https://www.avchevy.com/inventory/new-C ... t-bolt_ev/. One can go to https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt ... -and-price to learn about the 2 trim levels and the available equipment.

Federal tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is down to $3750 though. Bolt has thermal management and I'm unclear how much it will/can run if unplugged. The '19 Bolt manual has stuff like this:
Do not allow the vehicle to remain in
temperature extremes for long
periods without being driven or
plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when
temperatures are below 0 °C (32 °F)
and above 32 °C (90 °F) to
maximize high voltage battery life.
I'd imagine Bolt is eligible for the other non-Nissan specific incentives (SCE and Kern air). Bolt is definitely eligible for CVRP. You can also limit the % the Bolt charges up to on '19 Bolts. It's basically 40% to 100% in 5% increments.

Maybe a moderator can fix the title to use the right units? It's been a bit annoying to see this thread w/the wrong units keep bubbling up to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php? ... ive_topics.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 am

The OP, if still around, can edit the title.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:33 am

I'm honestly not a big GM fan. I actually think the leaf looks nicer than the bolt. Plus the tax credit makes a difference. There is the battery issue though.

I agree the niro ev is over priced. But then aren't all EVs ? A dealer near me still has 2018 leaf's new on the lot and has only dtipped them 3000 off msrp. I can do better than that on a 2019! The kona ev is also over priced. I'm curious to see how the niro ev holds up.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

cwerdna

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:16 pm

danrjones wrote:I'm honestly not a big GM fan.
I am not either. 3/3 of previous GM vehicles in our family (it wasn't my $ nor my decision to buy them back then) weren't so good in terms of reliability.

I'm just hoping that the money saved w/a Bolt when I got it ends up being worth it vs. a pricier Leaf Plus (wan't shipping at the time I bought my Bolt) w/no battery thermal management, no % SoC limiter, and AESC's checkered history when it comes to degradation vs. LG Chem's good rep (unfortunately, we don't know on the variant used in the Bolt). At least Bolt has a decent reliability rating in Consumer Reports, so far.

But, apply all your applicable incentives (and only $3750 Federal tax credit) to the Bolt prices I pointed and look at the EPA range ratings: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do ... 6&id=41277. Yes, Bolt's interior quality is lousy and the front seats aren't particularly comfortable. And, there's no equivalent of ProPilot Assist or adaptive cruise control.

'19 Bolt Premier

GRA

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:05 pm

danrjones wrote:I'm honestly not a big GM fan. I actually think the leaf looks nicer than the bolt. Plus the tax credit makes a difference. There is the battery issue though.

I agree the niro ev is over priced. But then aren't all EVs ? A dealer near me still has 2018 leaf's new on the lot and has only dtipped them 3000 off msrp. I can do better than that on a 2019! The kona ev is also over priced. I'm curious to see how the niro ev holds up.
How does anyone know what the Niro's price is? They haven't announced it yet for the U.S., and if the announced Canadian prices after conversion to U.S. dollars hold up, it's a great deal.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”