Nissan's Included L1 (120v) EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

This EVSE is for 120v use ONLY (NOT 240v), and is intended for the USA marketplace.

It has a "max-current" setting of 12 amps, intended to work well on an otherwise-unloaded 15-amp circuit. It may also be used on a 120v 20-amp circuit.

To allow the very limited 1.44 kW (120v times 12 amps = 1440 watts) usage, it asks the attached car to not draw more than (approximately) 12 amps.

It draws about 0.03 amps (4 watts) when just plugged into the wall, but not connected to the car.

Apparently it is about 25 feet in total length, with its small, 3-indicator, no-controls EVSE "box" within about 12" of the wall-plug end.

Being small and light weight, it (with the coiled cord and two connectors) fits into a small "storage pack", for easier "clean" transportation.

I would recommend including a cleaning rag in the "bag", to wipe dirt and grime off the cord after it is used.

Modification possibilities:
Illegal, and currently unknown.

Possible Variations:
1. Allow the car to draw 16 amps, only for use on a 20-amp circuit (which are fairly common in garages). The charger in the LEAF can use the extra 4 amps of current.
2. Limit "max-current" to 8 amps to use the EVSE on older 10-amp circuits.
3. Design a 120/240v version that could work "almost anywhere" (my favorite). ;)
See the thread on the now-available "Mod for L1 AND L2 Usage", for about $198. Very nice, and reported to draw only 1 watt when idle. :D

Gary,
How many redundant threads like this will you start? Let's see where this topic goes.

Is there another thread devoted to JUST the Nissan L1 EVSE?
(unlocked, with a helpful title)

If so, sorry, I missed it, and please merge my post there.
(or those posts here, as you wish)

EVDRIVER said:
Gary,
How many redundant threads like this will you start? Let's see where this topic goes.
Just my 2 cents, but I actually find this type of summary OP and topic to be quite useful. This could be in addition to what already exists (i.e., 20+ pg long threads). While I could, and do, use the search feature, and read through all the individual posts to gather information that way, I would still have to wade through several posts that don't 'lead' to any conclusion. Gary's style of OP, which could be updated as more 'facts' come to light, either in the same thread or from other threads (many of which easily go OT), combined with the previously suggested subforums would make finding information so much easier. MAYBE the end result of this type of topic posting would eliminate some of the new topics that get posted but have already been addressed elsewhere (which then leads to locked/merged/etc. threads).

garygid said:
Possible Variations:
1. Allow the car to draw 16 amps, only for use on 20-amp circuits (which are fairly common in garages). It is not known if the charger in the LEAF would use the extra 4 amps of current, but it easily could.
2. Limit "max-current" to 8 amps to use the EVSE on older 10-amp circuits.
3. Design a 120/240v version that could work "almost anywhere" (my favorite). ;)
And, as for the on-topic comment, I am looking forward to hearing about any possible variations (esp. #1 and 3 above) on the L1 charger that would allow me to get some extra juice as I will apparently rely on one for a little while longer than originally expected. I will be L1 charging both at home and work.

I feel that merged is often more helpful than locked, but ... locking certainly has its uses, especially to stop abuse ... and perhaps when moving posts to another thread?

We wil not be locking any threads without merges. This forum software does not have all the features of some like the APtera forum so we are unable to start sub topics which can prove very helpful. Having a main topic with high traffic helps readers find a subject quickly in a sub topic, perhaps we will have this feature in in the future. I find this form to be somewhat difficult to follow myself because of the many redundant threads, perhaps with better organization with the tools available in this software we can make it easier.

Gary, since you are of the opinion the forum is primarily for newcomers and you are on here quite often I suggest you start a thread called "Newbies Ask Gary" People can ask you all sorts of questions and you can direct them to the appropriate area, answer the question or just start a thread if it makes sense. I think this would be helpful for new new arrivals:) Or perhaps, "Ask the Gid Master", sounds more informing.

EV now will start a sticky on FAQ type stuff for the most asked questions so we don't keep getting the same questions like,
why is the AV installation so expensive? Are there other options? ETC.

trentr said:
I know using an extension cord is not recommended by Nissan.
Actually, Nissan's approach to this seems rather muted. IEC standards – IEC 62196 and/or IEC 61851 - require that the pilot signal be generated within about one foot of the wall plug. (Actually 0.3 meters.) That signal is generated in the box built in to the "trickle charge" cable. In other words, international electrical standards do not permit the use of an extension cord.

Nissan, on the other hand, seems to be ignoring this. Look at 1:30 into this video by an official Nissan spokesperson: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1377

If I will be needing an extension cord what gauge/type should I buy that is still within code for the L1 cable? I prefer an FAQ type threads. This will eliminate many simple questions like these.

Fyi ; here a 20 amp GCFI is REQUIRED.

I charge daily and typically see a peak of around 1600 watts which does trickle down relatively quickly since my pack is much smaller but would venture to guess the Leaf will react the same

Any time you're using an extension cord with a sustained load more than a couple hundred watts, the shorter the cord the better, and the heavier gauge the better.

If L1 charging fits with your driving habits (it does for me), is there any down side to doing this all the time and not installing a L2 EVSE in your garage? Does L1 charging extend the battery life over L2 charging? Seems that Nissan emphasizes L2 charging and refers to L1 as an "emergency" option. Is that just an assumption on their part about customer driving habits, or is there some technical reason to prefer L2 over L1?

charlie1300 said:
If L1 charging fits with your driving habits (it does for me), is there any down side to doing this all the time and not installing a L2 EVSE in your garage? Does L1 charging extend the battery life over L2 charging? Seems that Nissan emphasizes L2 charging and refers to L1 as an "emergency" option. Is that just an assumption on their part about customer driving habits, or is there some technical reason to prefer L2 over L1?
There is no real technical reason (in terms of battery life) - but may be the cable etc is not made for daily plug/unplug to last for the life of the car. Shouldn't really matter since you should be able to get a new EVSE in a few years, if this breaks down.

If the idea is to use L1 everyday at home, it may be a good idea to buy another EVSE and leave it plugged in at home all the time.

Yep, buying an extra L1 EVSE would be part of the plan. One in the car, one permanently in the garage. Also, the one in the car is a spare if the garage one fails, since L1is my only charging method.

Probably better to merge this thread to this one: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1401

So, to continue. If I use an extension cord with a 10 gauge wire like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/294ogsu

Isn't this ext cord even better than using Romex 12 gauge to add an additional outlet? I guess I don't understand why the L1 cable breaks code standards if one uses an extension cord. The extension cord will be connected to a GFCI outlet by the way and it is permanent.

The only reason it's called an "emergency" EVSE is because it takes so long to charge! Other than that, there's no technical drawback to using it all the time. Also, if the cord breaks one could simply put a new plug on it - but I doubt the cord would break anyway - it's a fairly heavy-duty cord and has what appears to be a medical-grade power plug, clearly it's designed to be durable and long-lasting.

BTW, "1.44 kW (120v times 12 amps = 1440 watts)" -- my microwave uses more power than that (1550 watts) ;)

garygid said:
Technically it isn't "criminally" illegal. The device just looses its certifications... :D

For example, I build a lot of various electronic kits and whatnot. Now while the actual plug that goes into the wall might be certified, the transformer or device down the line definitely is not. This doesn't make anything illegal, it just looses any certifications that they have.

We need to not forget the Owner's Manifesto: If you can't open it, you don't own it.

DarkStar said:
garygid said:
Technically it isn't "criminally" illegal. The device just looses its certifications... :D

For example, I build a lot of various electronic kits and whatnot. Now while the actual plug that goes into the wall might be certified, the transformer or device down the line definitely is not. This doesn't make anything illegal, it just looses any certifications that they have.

We need to not forget the Owner's Manifesto: If you can't open it, you don't own it.

People seem to think UL is an arm of the law.

trentr said:
Probably better to merge this thread to this one: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1401

So, to continue. If I use an extension cord with a 10 gauge wire like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/294ogsu

Isn't this ext cord even better than using Romex 12 gauge to add an additional outlet? I guess I don't understand why the L1 cable breaks code standards if one uses an extension cord. The extension cord will be connected to a GFCI outlet by the way and it is permanent.

Amazon also has 50' and 100' in the 10 gauge wire size from this same seller (along with different colors as well), along with some RV adapters, etc. not inexpensive....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA22VCDG2718XV5&field-keywords=10%2F3+SJTW&x=16&y=19

trentr said:

That would create an infinite loop:)

Back