Who's gotten the lowest DOCK quote from AV so far?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintari

I probably have one of the easiest indoor installs (the charging unit is on a wall exactly opposite the breaker panel) and my quote came to 2,112. 1,040 of that was labor (!!!), not including permit fees.

What are you all being quoted from the "official" Nissan contractor?

That is about the minimum charge. My install is even easier and was same price. My home is OEM prewired and inspected with a 40a EV circuit. Three wire nuts and a couple screws to the wall is all it needs.

I paid the $100 sucker fee a year ago with no idea it would be so much. AV will not get the work or one more nickel out of me.

My Nov 2010 installation was about the same as you are showing and added a 40A 240V breaker in parallel with the existing 125A 240V main breaker, about 4 feet of #8 (no neutral), a quick disconnect box, aluminum flex conduit - about 3 feet and the EVSE unit bolted to a 2x4 - it is a very easy installation. Searching on the site will save you some money and you will learn about many other options for charging - maybe as low as $300 for full 3.3KW charging.

Well, that's quite affordable; I was quoted $6,734.60. Needless to say that if I were to purchase the Voltec charger from SPX and have my own electrician do the install, I would be out less than a third of that amount.

I didn't even bother with the AV quote. My install was rather involved, with a new breaker box installed in the parking garage, 40 amp breaker for EVSE, conduit run 65 feet total including a run along a 13-15 foot ceiling, added 120 volt socket with GFI 20 amp breaker, and AV unit purchased cash and carry. Total including AV EVSE, tax, permit, and labor was $2800 from William Korthof (greater Los Angeles area). I would not recommend going with the "official" AV install; the unit itself works fine.

We paid a little over $1,400 installed. The unit itself was somewhere around $700 and $700 for the installation. By the way, the installer had to drive about 200 miles to get to my garage, that's why I think the labor was a bit high. I did all of the electrical work and included the AV charger circuit when I pulled the permit to build the garage. Thus, there was a four wire, eight gauge wire sticking out of the wall and a 40 amp breaker 22 feet from the wall mount. The installer joked that why didn't he just leave his tools with me, go have lunch, and let me finish the installation.

However, it took some doing to get AV to quote this low. After a few attempts, some ridiculous, I was able to get a realistic quote. I started a telephone conversation with a Nissan rep and then requested that they transfer me to AV to straighten out the details. BUT, I said, please stay on the line so we (me, Nissan and AV) can get this straightened out. That brought results.

I have been totally pleased with the installation. The charger works flawlessly. Also, the installer told me that when AV sublets the installs to local electrical contractors, they appear on a website and any of several in the area can opt to get one. Because of the distance involved, it took a little time before a contractor was willing to put in the mileage to pre-inspect and install mine.

Back