davewill

Re: Networking the free DCQC chargers at Nissan dealers

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 pm

If you must monetize, please choose Chargepoint, they have been a class act. Evgo's pricing sucks badly. Basically unless you are willing to pay monthly, you pay through the nose. Make sure that whatever choice you make, you're able to offer free charging at least on an ad hoc basis. If someone comes in late (or is towed in), would be stranded without a charge, and has no membership, you don't want to have to turn them away.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

PaulScott
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2012

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Well, they don't have to be exclusive. I much prefer the ChargePoint network, and since you get to set the price with them, you could set the price to "free".[/quote]
We are leaning in this direction. We like the ability to set the price, and we were assured we could charge per kWh which I like a lot. We can also use it to incentivize customers by letting our customers use it for free, but a nominal charge for those who bought or leased from competing dealers.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I talked to my dealer about this topic and I also opted for ChargePoint and I said to them if the cost was $5 per use that would be totally fine for me.

I would use it maybe twice a month. $10 a month is nothing to save me 3 hours.

24/7 access is a must. No lock boxes with breakers turned off please
Fenix Power Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - LEAF 380 / LEAF380

For more info click here: http://LEAF380.com

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm

PaulScott wrote: We are leaning in this direction. We like the ability to set the price, and we were assured we could charge per kWh which I like a lot. We can also use it to incentivize customers by letting our customers use it for free, but a nominal charge for those who bought or leased from competing dealers.
Sounds like a great plan! I hope the other Nissan dealers follow suit.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Graffi
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414757

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 pm

One of the Selling Points the dealer used in selling (leasing) the Leaf was the ability to charge for "FREE" at any Nissan dealer whenever we drive outside of the local area. It was not something written in a contract so they can change it, but it is counter to good customer relations to start charging after the purchase. As it is I never go to an outside charging station unless I am out of area. The last time I went to the dealer for the DCQC I spent about 10 minutes there and got what would have cost me $1 at home. It is just not worth the time to go out of my way to get it "free".

If the price remains free and chargepoint will accept that, then why not. Otherwise the dealer could just keep the DCQC themselves and either keep the FOB or disable it so it can be used 24/7.
2013 SL Metalic Slate - We LOVE our Leaf
MFG 08/13 Dlv 09/06/13 @ 10 mi
# 77 100 mile club
# 10 200 km club

2017 Tesla S 75D Pearl White
Delivered 5/16/17 @ 900 mi
Tesla Model 3 on order awaiting 200+ mile range Nissan Leaf

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Graffi wrote:If the price remains free and chargepoint will accept that, then why not.

The dealer still has to pay for the electricity.

I think the system should be like Tesla's Superchargers. If you pay Nissan for the QC then you should get access. I don't mind paying $5 per session. then the dealers can at least pay the electrical costs.
Fenix Power Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - LEAF 380 / LEAF380

For more info click here: http://LEAF380.com

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:20 am

I am for the solution that will keep these stations as operable and reliable as possible.

If eVgo gives you a 4-year warranty on the charging station (the warranties aren't just for the payment/networking systems) I would probably go that way for the hardware support alone even though I much prefer Chargepoint's ability to set fees any way you like. eVgo does let you pay a-la-cart for DCQC - the cost is $4.95 + $0.20 / minute, no membership required.

Hopefully this also encourages dealers to make their stations available 24/7 - and perhaps install additional stations as well?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:43 am

I vote for #2.
Graffi wrote:One of the Selling Points the dealer used in selling (leasing) the Leaf was the ability to charge for "FREE" at any Nissan dealer whenever we drive outside of the local area. It was not something written in a contract so they can change it, but it is counter to good customer relations to start charging after the purchase.
Gotta love it when dealers make promises on behalf of other dealers and ones they don't have to keep, since it's some other random dealer.

Keep in mind that dealers are not owned by the automaker itself due to the pesky franchise laws we have in the US. I only became aware of this fact due to all the battles Tesla's been fighting on this on a state-by-state basis. (Google for tesla franchise laws.)

Paul, thanks for filling us in and giving us some insight. This might explain why at least 2 dealers in my area recently got Chargepoint equipment installed on their Nissan CHAdeMO DC FC.
Lasareath wrote: 24/7 access is a must. No lock boxes with breakers turned off please
Problem is, the DC FC might already have been placed somewhere that doesn't facilitate that. :( And, as we've discussed numerous times here on MNL, dealers would likely rather not have random people hanging out after the dealer's closed.

Sure, I'd love the above but also can see their POV.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:18 am

Paul, another important consideration: is ChargePoint going to charge a network fee at some point? I know they do that with level 2 stations, and it's an integral part of their business model. I like ChargePoint, and I hope you pick them, but this could be an important factor to consider. eVgo is too new in this area, and I don't have much experience with them. That said, it's good to see alternatives arise.

DaveK
Delivery Date: 28 Oct 2012

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 am

I would vote for Chargepoint also. We have them here where I work and there haven't been any problems.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”