Got a new leaf! But... it was an odd situation...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guys,

Just got a new uuuseed nissan leaf 2013. I went into the dealer lot and there was some confusion. I was first told the original car had the lv3 fast charger but it did not have it after further search. The first car was about 9,500 and I was stuck there for a while. Then I was suggested an 'sv' and I worked a price for that. We came down to the price of 11,500 from $13,980 for the 'sv' model. I placed 9,400 in cash/credit CC and the rest was taken out on a loan. Final price with dmv fees and all that was 13,230. Loan was of 3,830. They say I can pay in advance and won't get hit with any fees so if I want to pay more than the monthly payment they said it was okay and no fees. The APR is 17.98% :( they said it was due to being a first time car buyer and my credit score, I THINK, came out at around 650? I would have to look it up tomorrow.

Anyway, the issue was that I was being sold an 'sv' but it turned out in the end that it was an 'S' when they did look up of the vin. So I noticed this and I spoke with the sales manager and not much could be done. Can't lower the price. Said that was the lowest they could do and that it was a very good deal for what I was getting. My situation is pretty tough right now and I had not eaten since the morning. I spoke a lot with them and the only option they gave me was to try and exchange it tomorrow for an 'sv' if they have anymore. They have 3 new inventory leafs that are in the service dept and it was closed. So I might still be able to get an SV the problem is that they would have to charge me more. They said it could be 2k more.

So I ended up with the S and the good thing is that it has the quick charge so it should charge at 6.0kh. I just need input guys on what I should do. I signed all the paper work and passed on the 'return car/cancelation contract' is costed 750 and I just have no more money. I'm in the dumps right now. So what to do? Did I get a good deal? Was I just a sucker? Should I try to get an SV even if it costs me a little more? I can't do 2k I mean maybe 1k more.... I don't know I was since the morning in there hungry and my van has transmission troubles :( i'm doing pretty bad right now and waas down right desperate. Had to travel 30 miles I think just to get here in the bus. It was a 2.30 min bus ride...

help?

Not having a DC "quick charging" (aka CHAdeMO, often referred to as L3 charging) port might not matter much to you at all. You haven't said where you live yet, so we don't know if DCQC stations are nonexistent, rare, sparse, or plentiful in your area. Obviously, if none are available, it doesn't matter if the car lacks a port. If there ARE some, and your new LEAF will be your only vehicle, and you could imagine wanting to occasionally travel farther than a single charge will take you, and you don't mind spending much longer behind the wheel for those journeys (even with optimum DCQC availability, you'll only average 30 to 40MPH overall), then having one would be worthwhile.

What dollar value to put on it is kind of tough, and I sympathize with you that it's a decision you have to make when first purchasing a LEAF (can't be added later). Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

So, let me get this straight. The first car with no quick(L3) charge port was selling for $9,500 plus dealer fees and tax. Then instead they sold you a $13,500ish car and still without the quick charge port? What a scam! Also, I wish you could finance through a credit union and get much better rates. I find the quick charge invaluable! But I quite often have to drive more than 65 freeway miles with full A/C. I traveled 113 miles today with my Leaf. My lady went 36 miles and generally that is about all she does most of the time on her Leaf so she rarely uses L3. But if we happen to swap cars, I would still need it to have L3 especially as the battery degrades even more. Her car is currently a 10 bar car. You did not address what the capacity or mileage is on your car. You can see the stubby capacity bars outside right of the charge bars. Hopefully you have 11-12 capacity bars and it is an accurate reading and not a recent dealer reset of the system. Anyway... based on all of your external pressures, you may need to just deal with what you got and move on and work around or deal with any inconveniences. Good luck! I wish you the best... we really like our cars. Even with L3 charge port, you may find that the charge station that you were going to rely on, is broken. So the 15-30 minute charge is out and a 2-3 hour charge is what you may face unless you have another L3 charger within limping distance.

Hi Guys I live in L.A. and travel between the areas of pasadena, rosemead, san grabriel, and I go up to burbank on the weekends. I am currently parked at a free lv2 charging station. I am looking through the menus here and it says 80% to charge and it has 240v 6kw 2:00 the other bits like the 3kw are blank along with 120v. I wanted to get the 2013 /w quick charge because I need the 6.0kw charger. Not really for the lv3 I only travel about 30 miles or so.

So sorry the first card that was about 9k was the one I was told it had the quick charge... but it really didn't. Then I was told I could get a different car (And I was desperate because my van has trans problems and runs only on 1st gear. mechanic says needs rebuilt ) so I really needed a car. I was told they would work with me and I was offered an 'sv' worked the price on that and lowered it as I mentioned.... but then when I was paying they brought the paper for the car and it said it was really an "S" BUT it does have the quick charge. So I still ended up getting an "S" with the quick charge but the price I got it for was 11,500 while the price I saw on the other S with out the quick charge was 9 something. Which was 9,480.

It was a mistake of the seller who worked at the dealer because he got confused with the trims and cars. It was a weird situation. I ended up getting the car because I just really needed one. I was told I can come in tomorrow to do an exchange for an SV of the new stock they got, but that the price would increase if I did that.

So all in all I just wonder.... did I get a good deal for this S with quick charge? It feels like I did not, but what do I know. What should I do about the possibility of an exchange for an sv? It is going to cost more....

Also, the plates on the car just has the dealer's name on it. Do I need to go to dmv and buy a the plate number on it? Sorry, this is like my second car. The first was used and it already had the plate number. I'm just so clueless right now. I paid for most of it but I will get a lien because I had to do a loan for the rest.

Also guys, I need help... there is this weird knob on the driver side door above from where the power buttons for the windows are. it says R and it says L and you can turn it to either side but as far as I know it does nothing. what is this? is this for the driver side mirror? Its not working.. oh oh...

If you got an S with a quick charge that is much better. As you see in our signature, we have 2 SL model 2011 which have the 3.3 onboard charger instead of the 6.6 that the 2013 and later have. I believe that having L3 capability is far superior to worrying about the difference between 3.3 and 6.6 on board. For us, when we are charging at night, at home, the little bit of extra time charging, while we are asleep, means nothing. But trying to get from A to B then C to D etc and quick charge of 15-30 minutes and go, makes all the difference in the world. So I would not want to be without L3 or chademo capability.

The dealer handles the paperwork for title, registration, and plates. The knob, yes is to adjust your mirrors. Once you have twisted the knob for right or left, then you push or pull otherwise manipulate the knob for position. Let's be CLEAR... quick charge is 440 volts with a bigger connecter in the charge port area on the left of the 220-110 volt port. Quick charge does not mean the difference between a 3.3 and a 6.6 onboard charger. Hopefully you are not confused on that... and hopefully you got the full library of manuals that can also be found online. I think all models of the 2013 came with 6.6 onboard but i'm not 100% sure. Edit: I have been educated that the S model 2013 could have the 3.3 onboard charger. But I hope you actually got the 440V chademo port which is worth the extra money. Otherwise I think, you were taken for the amount that they charged you... unless you were comparing a 2011-12 to a 2013. Then yes, you would have to pay more for the 13. You still have not stated it's mileage or traction battery capacity.

NissanLeafCamper said:
So I still ended up getting an "S" with the quick charge but the price I got it for was 11,500 while the price I saw on the other S with out the quick charge was 9 something. Which was 9,480.
I haven't had time to read your posts thoroughly, but $11.5K is not a very good deal on an S w/charge package (CHAdeMO inlet and 6.x kW OBC).

Evoforce said:
Quick charge does not mean the difference between a 3.3 and a 6.6 onboard
On the '13+ S trim, it does. Base S trim comes w/3.x kW OBC. Charge package on that adds the CHAdeMO inlet and 6 kW OBC.

OTOH, on '13+ SV, it comes w/6.x kW OBC, regardless of whether one gets the QC (CHAdeMO inlet) + LED package.

Evoforce said:
I believe that having L3 capability is far superior to worrying about the difference between 3.3 and 6.6 on board. For us, when we are charging at night, at home, the little bit of extra time charging, while we are asleep, means nothing.
For my use cases, I disagree completely. In the almost 2 years I've had my '13 Leaf SV w/both packages, I've used the CHAdeMO inlet only about 16 times, all on free DC FCs. I never really needed it in maybe 15 or all 16 of those cases.

I almost never charge at home and can only charge at 120 volts at home anyway (so 3.x vs. 6.x kW makes no difference).

Having the 6 kW OBC means I charge much faster at work and tie up a space for less time AND can start charging much later, when many people are done or have gone home. It also means my opportunity charging (if I go to work on the way home from someone) or at free 30 amp L2 EVSEs is MUCH faster.
Evoforce said:
But trying to get from A to B then C to D etc and quick charge of 15-30 minutes and go, makes all the difference in the world. So I would not want to be without L3 or chademo capability.
In the Bay Area, unless you're on Nissan NCTC (I'm not), there are almost no free CHAdeMO stations left and none are that convenient for me anyway. The rest are either ripoff http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/ or ripoff and often broken Blinks that are $0.59/kWh. No thanks. I've paid $0 for public charging in almost entire 2 years of usage.

But yes, CHAdeMO is a hell of lot faster than doing L2, so it helps for your situation. It's just that they're either too expensive to use, besides there being a possible adventure if it's blocked, ICEd or broken or there's a can be a line + the other problems on the few free ones left.

I plan on buying a used '13 Leaf SV w/premium package because I don't care to pay more $ for the QC + LED package. I currently have both on my leased '13 Leaf that will hit lease end at end of July.

Many Nissan Dealers here have free quick chargers. The point is how you are truly going to use your car because we all are different. But even people who say they don't use it that often are glad to have it when they need it. I generally get L3 charging for free unless the dealers charge station happens to be broken.

Evoforce said:
Many Nissan Dealers here have free quick chargers.
In the past, yes. I can think of 0 now like that in the Bay Area. All of them added either NRG eVgo or Chargepoint authentication equipment and they're not free anymore unless it's part of Nissan NCTC AND you have a valid Nissan NCTC card.

One them added Chargepoint equipment, but it was still free. Now they've switched to NRG eVgo and it's not free for anyone other than those w/NCTC.
Evoforce said:
I generally get L3 charging for free unless the dealers charge station happens to be broken.
Impossible at a dealer for me now.

No doubt, because we have the 3.3 onboard chargers, we are more interested in finding chademo, but anything longer than 15-30 minutes, while out and about with things to get accomplished, is kind of a hinderance anyway. So I guess we are a little more lucky here to have more free chademo available. While it lasts...

Congrats, I think you'll like the Leaf, but..
NissanLeafCamper said:
I was told I can come in tomorrow to do an exchange for an SV of the new stock they got, but that the price would increase if I did that.
Not a fan of dealers and what they "say" to you...

I wouldn't be surprised if you go in and tell them this really wasn't what you wanted/originally agreed on and you need to just walk away from the deal," if they don't come up with a car that meets your price...
It's funny the way dealers "we can't do anything else" changes when you start to walk away..

When my wife and I were looking at a van years ago, we were at a dealer who started doing some car "shifting" (the one you wanted isn't here, but we have.."..
He left the office to "check on something" while we considered the options..
At the time, I was a phone tech, and noticed that he had left the phone line open. Assuming it was going to some office where they were listening to our discussion.. I pointed that out (quietly) to my wife, and we proceeded to "talk our way out of the deal" and were saying that we probably just needed to regroup and check around some other places..

Lo and behold, he shows up a few minutes later and they found a car that matched our need/price point... What a shock!!! ;-)
(I HATE haggling for cars.. Not my style, but the fake discussion (well, it wasn't really fake actually.. we would have walked..) for the sake of the open phone line was kind of fun..)

desiv

Thanks guys,

This has been very educational for me. I shouldn't have accepted the deal but I was so desperate. My van has trans problems and I needed a car just to do work and such. I got suckered. I did not get the better deal I could have gotten. 11,500k was good for an sv, but for an S I think it is around 1,000 over priced if not mored. I was taken advantage off when i was in most need. Not new really. Not much I can do and they said an exchange would cost more. Kept saying 2k more for sv. Well, live and learn? At least the car has the quick charge. It was charging up at 6.0kh last night at the free charging station. And it has two ports at the front. one big one small. I really wish I had been smarter about this. I hate making decisions when I am in a desperate situation. This one is going to cost me and at this point I'm going to just have to swallow it and live with my mistake :(.

Regarding the plates... someone said it would be handled by the dmv so does that mean I will get a big chunk of metal plate in the mail with the car's plate # on it O_O?

NissanLeafCamper said:
This one is going to cost me and at this point I'm going to just have to swallow it and live with my mistake :(.
Not really a big deal..
I've made bad car deals in the past, and I generally have buyers remorse for a bit, but then after driving and enjoying the car, it all goes away... Considering the total car cycle, including "enjoyment" and "actually having the car", the price isn't actually a big deal. ;-)
I think you'll enjoy your leaf...
(I bought mine used for an OK deal, and 6 months later, prices dropped another 2k. Oh well.. ;-) I'm still totally OK with it because i have enjoyed it so far!! )

NissanLeafCamper said:
Regarding the plates... someone said it would be handled by the dmv so does that mean I will get a big chunk of metal plate in the mail with the car's plate # on it O_O?

Probably, yeah.
I've had plates show up in the mail and I've had dealers call me back to have them install the plates that showed up to their place.
You should have filled out a piece of paper for your DMV as part of the process... So it should be in process..
This last one came with plates from the dealer for me, so I just had to wait for stickers...
Enjoy!!!

desiv

desiv said:
NissanLeafCamper said:
This one is going to cost me and at this point I'm going to just have to swallow it and live with my mistake :(.
Not really a big deal..
I've made bad car deals in the past, and I generally have buyers remorse for a bit, but then after driving and enjoying the car, it all goes away... Considering the total car cycle, including "enjoyment" and "actually having the car", the price isn't actually a big deal. ;-)
I think you'll enjoy your leaf...
(I bought mine used for an OK deal, and 6 months later, prices dropped another 2k. Oh well.. ;-) I'm still totally OK with it because i have enjoyed it so far!! )

NissanLeafCamper said:

Probably, yeah.
I've had plates show up in the mail and I've had dealers call me back to have them install the plates that showed up to their place.
You should have filled out a piece of paper for your DMV as part of the process... So it should be in process..
This last one came with plates from the dealer for me, so I just had to wait for stickers...
Enjoy!!!

desiv

Hi!

Thanks for the input. Yes, I do like the leaf. I really like the ECO mode (DARN I wanted B mode if it was supposed to be an 'SV') I play with it all the time when I need to 'slow down' or 'brake' before a spot light. It is amazingly fun! It was also a huge relief to have a car again when driving back. That 2.5hr bus trip was not fun and I was famished from staying there since morning till dawn. The sales guy took pity on me and bought me some food. It was that bad.... I will also be able to get back to doing the things I need to do 'family duties + work and chores' now that I have a car. My van just started failing 2 days ago, stays in 1st and doesnt shift, so it has blocked on me things I needed to do.

I just... I just wanted a good deal and the sales guy kept saying it was an 'SV' he got chewed and I placed him on the spot and I just felt bad about it all. I was ready to close the deal and get the car then boom iits really an S. What? The sales guy was a nice guy. Seemed like he just made an honest mistake. I just know I could have gotten an S for 1k less than an SV like I said the price I was working on was for an 'SV' which is what the sales guy told me it was. It was all a mistake and I spoke with the sales manager and it was awkward. I wish it had not been like that I just wanted a car.

Okay the features it has are these. On top of the lv3 charging port. It has 2 one small and one BIG and yesterday when in the station it was charging at 6kw. It has 3 entries 6k 3k and 120v and the 6k had the time remaining so I am totally sure it has the charge package which was option on the S but standard on all the other trims. Anyway this is the features I got on this 11,500 $ 2013 leaf S:

4 wheel disc brakes
A/C
ABS
Adjustable Steering Wheel
AM/FM Stereo
Auxiliary Audio Input
Bluetooth Connection
Brake Assist
Bucket Seats
CD Player
Child Safety Locks
Climate Control
Cloth Seats
Driver Air Bag
Driver Vanity Mirror
Electric Motor
Engine Immobilizer
Front Head Air Bag
Front Reading Lamps
Front Side Air Bag
Front Wheel Drive
Heated Front Seat(s)
Heated Mirrors
Heated Rear Seat(s)
Heated Steering Wheel
Intermittent Wipers
Keyless Entry
Keyless Start
Leather Steering Wheel
MP3 Player
Passenger Air Bag
Passenger Air Bag Sensor
Passenger Vanity Mirror
Pass-Through Rear Seat
Power Door Locks
Power Mirror(s)
Power Outlet
Power Steering
Power Windows
Rear Bench Seat
Rear Defrost
Rear Head Air Bag
Rear Spoiler
Satellite Radio
Security System
Stability Control
Steel Wheels
Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Tire Pressure Monitor
Tires - Front Performance
Tires - Rear Performance
Tow Hooks
Traction Control
Trip Computer
Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers
Wheel Covers

Anything worthy of the price I paid for? Nothing really spectacular. It has the back up camera (Isn't listed but it does have it. That list is off vin page I was given at the dealer. Was the back up camera standard in the S?) and all the seats seem to be heat powered if you touch the swithces. I just didn't reallyl have any 'need' for these things. Though if it was an sv i'd want navigation but... sigh... that was the whole 'ordeal'. I really dislike making decisions when I am desperate lol :( I just have to live with this decision... live and learn,right?

Also I love how strong the pull on the leaf feels and also it is an amazing feeling knowing that the car is not poofing out exhaust fumes. It feels like I can just breathe better :)

What exactly is this pass through rear seat? Does this mean you can fold over the rear seats? I thought that was standard. How much of this stuff is standard and the rest added on as a 'cost'. I was told the price was made per the features it had added on. Though I think the price they had on it was way too over priced at 13,980 though it doesn't feel 'fully loaded' or anythiing like that. Unless it is for an S? thoughts?

NissanLeafCamper said:
Though if it was an sv i'd want navigation but.
I wouldn't worry too much about Nav..
While I have it and like it, you'll get better more updated Nav from standalone unit ($100 or so????) or cell phone nowadays.. ;-)

I'm not sure what the big difference is between the S (with QC upgrade) and the SV...
For me, the big thing was the QC port (didn't have the 6kW option on my 12, but that would have been nice...).
The other stuff was just gravy/window dressing.. ;-)
But in my situation, there is a good QC infrastructure and that's good because I need it.. ;-)

Yeah, I mostly live in ECO mode (to keep me from "accidentally" accelerating too quickly), but D comes in handy every once in a while.. ;-)

desiv

It is a used car? I'm surprised nobody asked about the mileage on the odometer and if the car has any capacity bars missing already. Or did I miss it?

The OP needs to be aware of Plugshare if he is not. Its probably the best way to find charging stations, and if you spend the time clicking on each one (better to use a PC/laptop than a phone for this) then you can find the free ones and the convenient ones. Just spend some time on the computer. Hate to see someone get in your position, but with no or poor credit, I think you didn't do badly on the price, you gotta start somewhere, and it sounds like, given the trips you need to make, its well within your reach. Pay off the car quickly so as not to incur interest you don't need to be paying, and then focus on the van's transmission if the vehicle is decent. Just about everyone needs a ICE at this point in time to make longer trips, move stuff, etc.

My LEAF lease was simply due to it being very cheap with the tax incentives, and I was trying to draw some mileage off of my primary vehicle, which was driven right at 30K miles last year. I just don't want to wear it out right away.

OP NEEDS TO CLICK ON HIS USERNAME AND THEN SCROLL DOWN TO "LOCATION" AND PLUG IN A CITY AND STATE. WILL HELP IMMENSELY IN OTHERS GIVING ADVISE.

Charles

+1 on getting the Plugshare app.

You didn't state what your van is, or what all of the symptoms are, but depending on year, it could be as simple as changing out the shift control module or vaccuum control module or hose to the module if so equipped. If it is a much older van, it is not uncommon for the diaphragm in the module to get a hole in it. Sometimes you can tell this because it will give a cloud of transmission oil out the tail pipe while driving but only while driving. Just like you are dusting fir skeeters!

NissanLeafCamper said:
Hi Guys I live in L.A. and travel between the areas of pasadena, rosemead, san grabriel, and I go up to burbank on the weekends.

NLC,

I am very close to you. If you want, send me a PM and we'll meet up. I have an OBDII port adapter and LeafStat and I can tell you on the spot what your remaining battery capacity is left.

PlugShare was mentioned earlier and that is an absolute MUST, especially since you do tend to wander relatively far. You will definitely want to get a ChargePoint keyfob, as ChargePoint has charging stations in this area particularly in downtown Burbank, though if you have an RFID-enabled debit or credit card it should work as well. https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point

NissanLeafCamper said:

Since you are in California, if you look through your paperwork, you should have signed a DMV "Power of Attorney" which allows the dealership to apply for registration on your behalf; without this, you would have to stand in that interminably long line to do so yourself. There should also be a DMV temporary registration permit on the lower passenger corner of the windshield; this allows you to operate the car on public roads for up to 90 days, or whenever you get your license plates.

As mentioned earlier, depending on the dealership they may show up in the mail at the car's registered address, or they may be sent to the dealer who will install them for you.

Back