Why did Nissan eliminate solar roof panel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no practical need for a small solar panel to generate a few watt-hours per day (at best) for 12V battery charging, when the vehicle is already carrying kilowatt-hours of power and the necessary hardware to accomplish the same task more completely and reliably. Unnecessary cost. It was plainly there to make a point rather than to solve a technical problem.

Whatever defects were present in the 12V charging algorithm are not an argument for a solar panel to make up the deficit, but rather an improvement in the algorithm.

I would like to see an aftermarket company offer a maybe 300 watt hour with of solar PV installed on the roof. For those who park outside at work, the extra 5-6 miles a day would feel good (even for say...1K) and could be quite handy if needing to limp a mile (at 1-2 mph) in an extreme condition.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I would like to see an aftermarket company offer a maybe 300 watt hour solar install for the roof. For those who park outside at work, the extra 5-6 miles a day would feel good (even for say...1K) and could be quite handy if needing to limp a mile (at 1-2 mph) in an extreme condition.

The trick is transforming that meager power into a form that can be used to charge a 400V traction pack.

You might like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWpN0RSb2k

Back