flyingjohn
Delivery Date: 29 Feb 2020

Nissan Dealership refuses a charge up !

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 am

Have been a forum "lurker" but now feel the need to register and post this information as it came as a bit of a surprise and may save someone from the same fate!

So I feel the need to get the message out that NISSAN have changed their policy of allowing you to charge at the dealerships.

How do I know ?

Well I turned up at MOTORLINE in my Leaf as I was looking at a 2nd hand Juke car for my wife. Bit low on range on the leaf I plugged into the Chademo fast charger.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was for THEIR customers only and they would not allow me to charge. I questioned the "Sales director"! -who said they had received a memo addressed to all dealerships from NISSAN that it was at the dealers discretion on who to allow to charge - and was for people who bought their cars from them.

I explained that anyone buying a car from them probably lived in Medway and would charge at home, and the point of having the opportunity to fast charge at a dealership was for when you are away from home after a long journey. This appeared to be completely lost on this employee and he stuck to his guns and said customers only.

I even pointed him at the sales blurb that says "nationwide fast chargers available at dealers", but he repeated the mantra, because they were paying for the electricity. I said it costs about a pound for a charge and asked if I could pay - still said no.

Moral of the story - BUY A TESLA !!!

Sorry if you know this already, but I dont often need a "get me home charge" in an unknown town and it caught me out.

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: Nissan Dealership refuses a charge up !

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:05 pm

flyingjohn wrote:
Have been a forum "lurker" but now feel the need to register and post this information as it came as a bit of a surprise and may save someone from the same fate!

So I feel the need to get the message out that NISSAN have changed their policy of allowing you to charge at the dealerships.

How do I know ?

Well I turned up at MOTORLINE in my Leaf as I was looking at a 2nd hand Juke car for my wife. Bit low on range on the leaf I plugged into the Chademo fast charger.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was for THEIR customers only and they would not allow me to charge. I questioned the "Sales director"! -who said they had received a memo addressed to all dealerships from NISSAN that it was at the dealers discretion on who to allow to charge - and was for people who bought their cars from them.

I explained that anyone buying a car from them probably lived in Medway and would charge at home, and the point of having the opportunity to fast charge at a dealership was for when you are away from home after a long journey. This appeared to be completely lost on this employee and he stuck to his guns and said customers only.

I even pointed him at the sales blurb that says "nationwide fast chargers available at dealers", but he repeated the mantra, because they were paying for the electricity. I said it costs about a pound for a charge and asked if I could pay - still said no.

Sorry if you know this already, but I dont often need a "get me home charge" in an unknown town and it caught me out.
Were you using a dc fastcharge station or a level 2 wall charger? A DCFC should be a metered connection and open to any Nissan owner. The level 2 wall charger on the other hand would be simply hooked to the dealler's AC. The dealer would pay for the power used so they should have the right to say who uses it. Having said that, the cost to them to let you use it for an hour is probably less than a dollar. If you were looking at a car on their lot, it was stupid of them not write it off as an advertising cost. I bet you didn't buy a car from them just because of that salesman's attitude. A lost sale is worth a lot more than the cost of a charge and the dealer spends a great deal of money just to get someone on the lot. Free charging is a cheap way to do that and costs a lot less than balloons and hotdogs.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:36 pm

flyingjohn wrote:
... they had received a memo addressed to all dealerships from NISSAN that it was at the dealers discretion on who to allow to charge - and was for people who bought their cars from them.

Or, at least, don't buy from any of the Motorline dealers in the UK.

But I really hope Nissan UK isn't that stupid.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:36 pm

I noticed that the chargers at a local Nissan dealership in Colorado were not listed on plugshare.com. I went and looked at the dealership website, and they indicated the same policy--the chargers are for their customers only.

I guess EVGo will get a bit more business!
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:48 pm

What a myopic business decision. Heaven forbid you should have someone visiting your dealership with nothing to do for 30 minutes than to look at the cars you have for sale! :roll:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 pm

My Nissan dealer had one dc fast charger. It broke about the same time I bought my leaf. They never fixed it. Last time I made the trip in for service, I fast charged across the street at a honda dealer.

I will say while they had my car in the back they gladly plugged it into level 2. But it's clear they have no interest in fixing the CHAdeMO.

Why? See the thread on Nissan corporate.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:54 pm

This makes no sense, and this it the poster's first post....

No Nissan dealer is going to deny you a charge.,... I have gone to other car brands and they have graciously let me charge there.

You are a new member, with your first post, so I will say that you must be mistaken about this.

pretty much... i don't believe it.. You sound like an agitator....

If you are not an agitator, your first post should not be a complaint.. We are not connected to Nissan and your accusation is a whisper in the wind. GO COMPLAIN TO THE ALLEGED DEALER//

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:10 pm

Note the OP seems to be from the UK, the UK may and probably is different than N. America, like almost everything else in Europe it's more expensive and things we take from granted in the US may very well charge there. Take for instance condiments(catsup and mayo packets) I was told by someone who vacationed there that they charged for each one :( that takes user fees to the extreme IMO :shock:
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:20 pm

jjeff wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:10 pm
Note the OP seems to be from the UK, the UK may and probably is different than N. America, like almost everything else in Europe it's more expensive and things we take from granted in the US may very well charge there. Take for instance condiments(catsup and mayo packets) I was told by someone who vacationed there that they charged for each one :( that takes user fees to the extreme IMO :shock:
This has happened in the US before, especially with DCFC stations but also with L-2 stations at dealerships.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:07 pm

powersurge wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:54 pm
This makes no sense, and this it the poster's first post....

No Nissan dealer is going to deny you a charge.,... I have gone to other car brands and they have graciously let me charge there.

You are a new member, with your first post, so I will say that you must be mistaken about this.

pretty much... i don't believe it.. You sound like an agitator....

If you are not an agitator, your first post should not be a complaint.. We are not connected to Nissan and your accusation is a whisper in the wind. GO COMPLAIN TO THE ALLEGED DEALER//
To be honest I note an increasing frequency of people with 1 or 2 posts landing here with odd problems or grievances of various ilk, to be heard no more. Seems fishy.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”