All four fast chargers within ~20 miles are broken

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

Relatively new CHAdeMO charger at local Nissan dealership* has been down for several weeks. The one at Nissan dealership 20 miles away has been down for two years. Chargepoint station at college 3 miles from me has been down then up then down over past two years. Electrify America station near dealer 20 miles away has been down for many weeks. Anyone know of similar issues near them? I could not in good conscience sell my 2014 Leaf to a family member or friend in this area. Charging far too unreliable. Unless things change I will have limited ability to get around much this coming winter. Good thing I spend most of my time at home!

*Another user posted on plugshare:
"Both high-speed chargers out of order. Please take this location off the network or fix your chargers!! You’re the only high speed charger in the neighborhood, does it occur to you that people might count on you?? This is the kind of crap that discourages people from getting EVs. Please take a little responsibility.

Maybe try your luck with the local electric company:

https://www.eversource.com/content/wma/about/sustainability/focus-areas/energy-storage-electric-vehicles

SageBrush said:
Is this only CHAdeMO, or does it include CCS ?

I'm speaking only about the CHAdeMO chargers. Each of these locations have working CCS close by. That's likely what I'll be using this winter if/when I need to drive more than ~50 miles on a very cold day.

alozzy said:

https://www.eversource.com/content/wma/about/sustainability/focus-areas/energy-storage-electric-vehicles

Great plans. Nice to see. I'm reporting on the here and now.

rawlins02 said:
SageBrush said:
Is this only CHAdeMO, or does it include CCS ?

I'm speaking only about the CHAdeMO chargers.
Greater Albuquerque (Pop ~ 1M) is the same -- a scattering of broken CHAdeMO. Last time I checked ONE 20 kW CHAdeMO was working and one CHAdeMO at an EA location worked.

This is why I tell people who derive comfort from counting CHAdeMO locations that way before the cables are removed, they will sit unused and broken.

rawlins02 said:
alozzy said:

Great plans. Nice to see. I'm reporting on the here and now.

I was actually directing you to the contact information at the bottom of the page. It may fall on deaf ears, but in your shoes I would call them and complain about the lack of functional chargers in the "here and now", perhaps you'll get lucky and they'll send out a tech...

rawlins02 said:
Relatively new CHAdeMO charger at local Nissan dealership* has been down for several weeks. The one at Nissan dealership 20 miles away has been down for two years. Chargepoint station at college 3 miles from me has been down then up then down over past two years. Electrify America station near dealer 20 miles away has been down for many weeks. Anyone know of similar issues near them? I could not in good conscience sell my 2014 Leaf to a family member or friend in this area. Charging far too unreliable. Unless things change I will have limited ability to get around much this coming winter. Good thing I spend most of my time at home!

*Another user posted on plugshare:
"Both high-speed chargers out of order. Please take this location off the network or fix your chargers!! You’re the only high speed charger in the neighborhood, does it occur to you that people might count on you?? This is the kind of crap that discourages people from getting EVs. Please take a little responsibility.
This story reminded me of a situation about a month ago in NE Ohio when I used my '19 LEAF (40KWh) beyond it's round-trip range for the 1st time in over 2 years of ownership, and 1st time using a paid station since my Nissan NCTC expired. The trip wasn't very far beyond the car's range, would only need ~5-10 KWh of dispensed power from a public DCFC. There were 3 public DCFC charging locations (all EVGo) along the path, and had a "Plan D" at my part-time employer's garage where I can plug the portable cord into a 50 amp 240v if all else fails. I had some spare time to kill that day so why not give it a try.

So opportunity #1 was outbound relatively close to the destination, was still over 55% SOC so passed on that location.

Opportunity #2 was the same place as #1 but on the return trip, that was ICED so continued on the Turnpike to the next location. The only loss at this point was time and a few miles backtracking to the Turnpike entrance.

Opportunity #3 was open, but the CHAdeMO failed to work correctly despite EVGo Customer Support restarting the station several times. At that point, the SOC was @ 20% and discussed the working condition of opportunity #4 with EVGo Support before weaving the back roads to the location to stretch the range. In hindsight, should have tried the L2's available at this location given that I had already blown 20 minutes on the phone messing with the DCFC.

Upon arrival at opportunity #4, SOC was 8% and the station was in use by a Chevy Bolt. Cool, this station at least works, get a cup of coffee and wait 30 minutes for the Bolt to finish. Upon connecting, the station behaved the same as #3. This time EVGo Customer Support rebooted the station a couple times and somehow forced the session to work, but maxed out about 30 KW, and charged some crazy rate by the minute with the 20 minutes connected (10 KWh dispensed) costing $6.30 (likely why the Bolt owner also bailed out in 20 minutes).

My "Plan D" backup location was about 5 miles away and very reachable on the remaining 8% SOC if needed.

It's pretty obvious this technology is far from dependable and totally lacks the station saturation to satisfy realistic usage expectations.

Next time will take my Ridgeline.

@rogersleaf: I don't want to sound like a jerk, as I know you put a lot of effort into your post. But if I'm honest, there's no way I'm going to have the patience to read through that one huge block of text.

For readability sake, breaking things up into a few paragraphs makes a world of difference.

Yes, this is a case where, even if no more than one paragraph is needed, it's best for readability to break long blocks of texts into smaller chunks. It used to bug me when people requested that, but now I do it automatically.

alozzy said:
I was actually directing you to the contact information at the bottom of the page. It may fall on deaf ears, but in your shoes I would call them and complain about the lack of functional chargers in the "here and now", perhaps you'll get lucky and they'll send out a tech...

OK thanks, I'll try that.

rogersleaf said:
<snip interesting story>

It's pretty obvious this technology is far from dependable and totally lacks the station saturation to satisfy realistic usage expectations.

I really appreciate knowing about experiences like this. Need to be shared widely so that decision makers will fully understand the impediments to wider adoption of EV use. Fears of running out of power, espoused by many non-EV drivers, are not entirely without merit.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, this is a case where, even if no more than one paragraph is needed, it's best for readability to break long blocks of texts into smaller chunks. It used to bug me when people requested that, but now I do it automatically.
For some unknown reason none of the breaks I placed in the text wrote correctly when submitted, will attempt an edit.

Is home charing with the trickle charger not an option? WE're talking about a 24kwh battery (that is likely further degraded given it's a 2014). Wouldn't overnight home charging be just fine? The town I lived in in CT didn't have a single public charger when we got our Leaf, and we didn't end up charging it outside of our home until about 9 months later.

But I totally get that broken public chargers is a huge problem. People depend on these things.

Driver8 said:
Is home charing with the trickle charger not an option? WE're talking about a 24kwh battery (that is likely further degraded given it's a 2014). Wouldn't overnight home charging be just fine? The town I lived in in CT didn't have a single public charger when we got our Leaf, and we didn't end up charging it outside of our home until about 9 months later.

But I totally get that broken public chargers is a huge problem. People depend on these things.

Large majority of power I use comes from home trickle charge, especially over past year and a half. Having access to the new CHAdeMO at local dealer was nice given location near interstate highway. But it's not hard to find L2 to use in areas where a fast charger is down. Yes my post is more about raising awareness of maintenance issues in my area.

rogersleaf said:
LeftieBiker said:
For some unknown reason none of the breaks I placed in the text wrote correctly when submitted, will attempt an edit.

Much more readable now, thanks!

rogersleaf said:

Next time will take my Ridgeline.

Agreed, there are so many user interface variations, reliability problems, design issues...

Why is it such a big ask that we should be able to roll up to any DC charger, plug in, and tap/swipe a credit card to active a session? If gas stations can do it, why not DC charging stations? I can think of many people in my social circle who wouldn't figure out how to start a charging session without assistance on some DC chargers.

Also, I believe DC chargers can read the VIN, in which case a credit card wouldn't even be needed (i.e. if the VIN is already associated with an account that has a credit card registered to it). Literally, plug in and charge with that type of arrangement.

As you stated though, the bigger issue right now is reliability. It does seem, anecdotally, that some of the newer Chargepoint machines where I live are more reliable than older machines - time will tell...

Back