nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Re: Onboard charger capacitors failed

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 am

You should probably check the diode drops of the waffle plate to make sure that it is not shorted/damaged, especially the AC rectifier section and the PFC.

With all the damage on the AC input side it is puzzling what might have caused this, similar to wxmatt's damage.

Who1981
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 021208

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks, I check the waffle. I don't hold much hope for reviving this board...
Any tips for freeing the toasted capacitors from the potting material, without damaging the board?

nlspace

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:12 am

The black potting material is soft and flexible. It is easily removed with a wooden scraper made out of a bamboo chopstick, sharpen one end like a pencil for fine work and whittle the other end to a flat blade like a screwdriver.

The gray RTV material is more rigid but still flexible. The bulk of it can be carefully sliced and cut with a sharp blade, then use the wooden scraper to get the thin remains off the board. don't try to cut right at the board with the steel blade--don't want to damage the board.

Who1981
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 021208

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks, good tips. I'll source the parts and start in on it.

I got the eBay charger in. It was a little dirty outside, and smelled slightly hot inside, but other than a couple discolored wires has no signs of failure. I clamped off the coolant lines and swapped in the charger with minimal mess. And it works on 120V and 240V! Charged fully, and drove the Leaf to work today.

hannesbeukes
Delivery Date: 23 May 2021

Wed May 26, 2021 1:47 am

Well done, and thank you for all the information and the photos.

I have also opened my obc but i left it in the car without removing the coolant lines,

You can pretty much disconnect the main hv connector on the floor and then open the charger lid and work on it without removing it from the car.

hbquikcomjamesl
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2020

Wed May 26, 2021 2:17 pm

Glad you got it working. And fascinating pictures.

Seeing the thread title reminded me of something that had happened many years ago. I'd installed a lighted street address sign on my house, powered by the doorbell transformer, and I'd fitted it with a photocell, using a circuit that required a rectifier and a filter capacitor.

Then I bought a new doorbell, that required a higher voltage transformer. Higher than the WVDC rating of the filter capacitor. Significantly higher

When I turned on the power, I heard a loud bang. A short time later, I found the capacitor casing in a flower bed, along with the foil and fibrous material that had formed the innards of the capacitor. And a few shards of plastic where the capacitor had blown a hole in the side of the sign.

Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops:
--
James H. H. Lampert

shuma89
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 1989

Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 am

haloo from georgia.
my country is near from the russia.
we have some Nissan Leaf in owre country.
I have problem with obc onboard charger on nissan leaf 2011 year.
problem is that my home charger not charges vehicle. i have other home charger, it do same.

we have not good repairmans, one of them says thet onboard charger that is back in the car is bad, i changed it myself. vehicle warks good. but i want repair old OBC block.
if anyone can tell me, from what i bigin repairings. whare i can search problems in onboard charger?
i allready open the cover off.
Top (Control) Board seems very well. there is not eny problems that i can see.
please halp me to search the problem in this OBC block.

my english is not so good as I want, excuse me for this.

Sorry for my poor English.

nlspace

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Can you post some photos of your boards?

What is your level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to electronics repairs, soldering, use of a DMM, reading schematics and tracing circuits on a board, etc.? This would be helpful to know before digging into a repair.

shuma89
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 1989

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 pm

nlspace wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:35 pm
Can you post some photos of your boards?

What is your level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to electronics repairs, soldering, use of a DMM, reading schematics and tracing circuits on a board, etc.? This would be helpful to know before digging into a repair.

My knowladge is not so low level. I can diagnos capasitors, resistors, diodes, transistors.

I have not photos. But i find visual deffects, there is hol on the capasitor. Capasitor 310 v 1.0 mf near the big 3 resistors is bad.
It is nesesery to desolder the waffle plate to change the capasitor. I have 400 v 1.0 mf capasitor. Can i replace the 310v 1.0 mf capasitor with 400v 1.0 mf?

And last question,
if i do not desolder the waffle plate i can change thet capasitor but it need small cables for contacting thet pins where it must be. There is black maaterial arrround the capasitor, relay and resistors, can i replace thet material with wbhite silicon?

If anyone can post me the schenatics of this obc i wil be happy.
My mail :. Tyemaladzebeqa@gmail.com
thank you for help.

nlspace

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 am

the black potting comes off easily with a wooden scraper. don't use a sealer that releases acetic acid as it cures.

A higher voltage capacitor is okay as long as it is the same type. See my post on page 1 of this thread.

for what part of the circuit are you wanting a schematic? There is not one for the entire OBC as far as i know.

There is lots of troubleshooting discussion in this thread that might give you some help.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”