Christmas tree hell

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui314

So I came into a very well priced 2012 24kw leaf with a problem that exploded yesterday. While driving the car Christmas tree shut down 10 times in a 14 mile drive. I have checked the 12v battery which is a few months old and it rests at 12.4v. I don't think that is the problem.
I have no idea where to start to fix it. Dealer is useless, not going there.
Some notes: Shifter was replaced recently with a used $99 one. 12v battery replaced recently, 24KW battery pack replaced under warranty 8K miles ago.

This is what leafspy how's as errors:
98B42339-E69A-4F7D-B16B-6C9A7FE66258.png

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "KW".

Might be interesting to clear all the DTCs and drive it until it dies again, noting which ones pop up. Do you have a means of charging to the 12 volt? If it's full with that, does it go longer before dying?

That sure looks like a weak 12 volt battery. Are you measuring it with the car Off for 15+ minutes? Before you do anything else, I suggest you borrow a newer 12 volt battery to swap in.

You can either purchase a subscription or a CD online from Nissan's Publications site. I will look up the address and add the link to this post.

Those DTCs are consistent with a weak 12V battery, but the DC-DC converter maintains the voltage so the lights should not come on while driving.

Did this happen with the old shifter? Since most of the error codes are shifter related, I'd check the connections on the shifter (and consider replacing the shifter module if this problem only started occurring with the new shifter.

Also, like others have said, clear DTC's and re-pull when it happens again. It's entirely possible the DTC's are still on from when the shifter was replaced.

Thanks all.
1. Charged up 12v and it "helped". Have cleared all codes and able to restart with no error except usual shifter position error.
2. Restarted car and left in park for 3 hours. Did not Christmas tree. (Previously had failed anywhere from 1-6 minutes later)
3. Recharging 12v again (a week later) and will test drive.

Got a manual- wow, that its some great reading!

Will be exploring the shifter connections and maybe pull a good one from my other leaf of the same year. (I have 3)

Interestingly my 2011 Christmas treed out yesterday and I recharged the 12v and cleared the errors. This cleared my recent driving history and suddenly my 10 bar leaf showed 116 miles available! (Yeah, right). So was that another level of Christmas? Like with New Years included?

Maui314 said:
Thanks all.
1. Charged up 12v and it "helped". Have cleared all codes and able to restart with no error except usual shifter position error.
2. Restarted car and left in park for 3 hours. Did not Christmas tree. (Previously had failed anywhere from 1-6 minutes later)
3. Recharging 12v again (a week later) and will test drive.

Got a manual- wow, that its some great reading!

Will be exploring the shifter connections and maybe pull a good one from my other leaf of the same year. (I have 3)

Interestingly my 2011 Christmas treed out yesterday and I recharged the 12v and cleared the errors. This cleared my recent driving history and suddenly my 10 bar leaf showed 116 miles available! (Yeah, right). So was that another level of Christmas? Like with New Years included?

The range estimation can change after a 12V power loss as the driving history is lost and it resets to factory defaults. Don't worry, the 116 miles will go back to normal quite soon after driving. :)

To avoid killing the 12V batteries, you're really going to want to put a battery maintainer on these, especially during the lockdown. A 12V battery only tolerates being fully discharged a handful of times before sulfation and other effects kick in and you're buying a new battery, not just recharging it.

Back