Charging issues L2 but ok on L1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rktennis

2011 Leaf. Blink model we-30cire EVSE. When I use it, I get varying results. It seems like if i jiggle the handle after I connect (I always get 1 connection beep when inserting handle into car), this sometimes helps. Otherwise, the EVSE reads "Please plug in car" even if it is plugged in. I have not had issues using the trickle charger 120v.

I searched and people have had similar issues. One is that the Blink unit was defective. The other is that there is a bad diode and the OBC would need to be replaced. https://youtu.be/5R4dGg8nIUs I tried following along to determine if it is a bad diode, but I couldn't get readings on my multimeter (could be user error, I'm not too knowledgeable using them).

I don't charge anywhere but home. It seems like specific brands of EVSE L2 chargers don't rely on the OBC diode check, so is there a cheap fix to this (replace my blink with an AeroVironment?) I don't want to spend too much $, but I'd like to have L2 capabilities. My Leaf is down 5 bars with 71k miles on it.

If it works when you "jiggle the handle after I connect", then that sounds like there's a problem with the proximity pin on the J1772 port of your LEAF.

J1772chargersocket-InsertArrangements.jpg

Perhaps there's just some debris or dirt on that pin. If you have access to a compressed air line, or even just a can of compressed air, then try blowing out that pin.

alozzy said:
If it works when you "jiggle the handle after I connect", then that sounds like there's a problem with the proximity pin on the J1772 port of your LEAF.

Perhaps there's just some debris or dirt on that pin. If you have access to a compressed air line, or even just a can of compressed air, then try blowing out that pin.

I'll try that now. Thanks. I did blow in there just using my breath. But I'll use my compressor now.

alozzy said:

I don't want to get too excited, but after blowing compressed air, the EVSE started on the first try! Hopefully that's all it was and I thank you very much!

Someone reported a similar intermittent problem on MNL a while ago. The conclusion was either a partially broken pilot wire in the Jplug or in the proximity circuit in the Jplug. Don’t remember which.

A beetle got smashed in my j1772 last week. It was giving intermittent charging till I picked and scraped out the shell and guts.

Back