"I Agree" message each time the car starts. Make it stop!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawh

This may be a "duh" for everyone-- but i just can't take it anymore and can't find anything in the search feature here.

Is there a simple way to make the car stop asking me to agree to terms every time I turn the car on???
I'm sure it's simple-- but I can't seem to find the magic button!

-kawh
sebastopol, ca

Nope, we are all stuck with it, at least for the time being!

kawh said:
This may be a "duh" for everyone-- but i just can't take it anymore and can't find anything in the search feature here.

Is there a simple way to make the car stop asking me to agree to terms every time I turn the car on???

-kawh
sebastopol, ca

What I do is to ignore it and hit another button to bring up something I want on the screen. Usually it is the energy screen I like to see. Still annoying, but a partial workaround.

1. There IS an EASY, but expensive, way to get rid of the annoyance:

Give your car to somebody who will actually appreciate it. :)

2. There is a MORE DIFFICULT, but inexpensive, way to get rid of the annoyance:

Change your attitude and Get over it. :(

3. OR, find something more "significant" to complain about:

Does your "eyebrow" ckock keep time well?
Do you know that there is NO spare tire?
Do you know that there is not even a JACK?
Do you know that the cover on the 12v power "outlet" is an annoying BLACK?
Do you get somebody else to touch the ON button for you everytime you drive?
Are you missing a right arm? :lol:
Are there sufficient QC stations "near" you?

---------
But, seriously, we actually CAN help you here:

For only a few hundred dollars, we can provide an attachment that will automatically press the MAP button for you, a few seconds after you start your LEAF.

You may order our OBD-connected "MAP-Pusher", fully assembled and tested (but currently not entirely finished development), for $400 prepaid.

I should be able to ship it UPS or FedEx within about 2 weeks.

Also, you would be entitled to free firmware upgrades, just ship it back to us with a $25 check for our return shipping and handling.

P.S.
If you are actually missing an arm, I appologize.

I know how annoying that can be.
Fortunately, it was MY LEFT arm that was paralysed in 1963.
Also, I can move it a little bit now, but still, it is ANNOYING.

kawh said:
I think you can't disable the notice for legal reasons. :(

Packet said:
kawh said:
What "legal reason" would that be?
If it's something so illegal as to require approval each time you start the car, I'd at least like the option to decline it permanently and not be asked again. After all, what if someone ACCIDENTALLY OK'd it? Think of the legal nightmare that would cause. Or if a minor did it. Or a non-English speaker.
This should keep the lawyers busy for years. Doing what, I'm not sure.

Maybe it's for "insurance reasons", the other catch-all? Or for Quality Assurance Purposes?

Or "to serve you better". That's my favorite. Always comes before something that is unambiguously a reduction in service.

I'm annoyed by it too but have come to appreciate that there must be some legal reason for requiring this and that us early adapters are providing much needed user data and i just need to consider it part of my duty and just get over it. I'm guessing that it just can't be assumed that it's going to be the owner of the car driving all the time. I suspect it will go away in some future firmware update in 2013ish.

As far as I know, no one has ever attempted to track this many users to see what the driver habits actually are. I trust that some really cool stats will come from all this, at least it helps me to feel better about participating every time I press yes.

G

If the screen said "press the cruise button up to accept, press down to reject" it would be much more convenient than having to reach over and press a virtual button on a touch screen. Or, if it said simply, tap the screen to accept - and then times out after a few seconds. But hey, it's the price of being an early adopter...

Stoaty said:
What I do is to ignore it and hit another button to bring up something I want on the screen. Usually it is the energy screen I like to see. Still annoying, but a partial workaround.

I always use the energy screen too. So if I just push the e-button, that will be the same as pushing the 'ok' for CarWings? Right now, I try to push 'ok' before the phone connects, then push the e-button.

It's a privacy notice. It should be set to display once every 90 days after "OK" is pressed. That ought to be sufficient to satisfy any legal concerns. Typical privacy practices notices are sent out on an annual basis. Nissan can reasonably assume that car ownership changes don't occur very often. It's a minor annoyance, but it is annoying, and it prevents Carwings from getting accurate information, because I'm sure very few of us press "OK" every single damn time we start the car.

LEAFfan said:
I always use the energy screen too. So if I just push the e-button, that will be the same as pushing the 'ok' for CarWings? Right now, I try to push 'ok' before the phone connects, then push the e-button.
My method probably leaves the message hidden somewhere, but not accepted. I guess Nissan will have to gather the Carwings data from someone else.

GroundLoop said:
Packet said:
kawh said:
What "legal reason" would that be?
Liability reasons, I'd assume. "My son/daughter pushed the Ok button, and so it's been transmitting information to servers every time without telling me ever again! They're spying on us!"

After all, this is the nation where we feel a need to put "Warning: product contains peanuts" on peanut butter jars, and warnings like "Do not attempt to use in bathtub" on hair dryers, because otherwise people claim "I wasn't warned" when something goes wrong.

garygid said:
Do you know that there is not even a JACK?

UMM, Yes there is, at least on the UK model, Left hand side of boot (trunk lol) there is a little door, in there is a Jack.....

This doesn't really bother me too much because my last car made me press OK each time I turned it on, because I wanted to display the map and the NAV system insisted on warning me to look where I'm driving and agree not to drive blindly while staring at the NAV. LEAF's Carwings agreement is just as stupid, but no worse.

But actually this Carwings agreement, forced by Nissan lawyers, isn't only a usability error, but it might be a legal error as well. It's *my* car and I say I want it talking to Nissan, and it isn't for the driver to say.

A hypothetical (and exaggerated) case: I've instructed the car to send data so by pressing OK. Then my teenage son borrows the car to drive to choir practice (5 miles away), but does not press OK so there is no record of him driving instead to drug parties (15 miles away), where he falls under evil influence and is gravely injured in a traffic accident under the influence. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this innocent boy's injuries were a direct result of Nissan ignoring his father's instructions to always transmit the data.

Or: My car is stolen. I call Carwings to ask for its latest GPS coordinates to tell the police where to look. But they tell me no data is available, because of course the thief has not agreed to transmit to Nissan. Isn't Nissan liable for the loss because they ignored my request to always transmit the data?

Okay, those scenarios are a bit of a stretch. But if one group of hyper cautious lawyers can dream up hypothetical scenarios in which Nissan could get sued if they don't annoy us with the startup screen every time, cannot another group of lawyers dream up scenarios in which Nissan could get sued if they do? They could instead just design their products to work in a reasonable manner, and hope that a jury of 12 will see reason, rather than being terrified of lawsuits against everything they do and against everything they don't do.

LEAFfan said:
Stoaty said:
I always use the energy screen too. So if I just push the e-button, that will be the same as pushing the 'ok' for CarWings?
No, that's the same as ignoring it for your entire drive. I have never pushed the OK button in the ten weeks I have had the car, but I have frequently displayed the energy screen. I just now checked CarWings, which I rarely do, since the data is very boring.
CarWings.png

Ray

In the slight defense if Carwings main could-be-useful function, they are getting more charging stations into the Carwings database.

But, it is still rather poorly implemented, imo.

Back