Vehicle range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFlash

At "full charge" sitting in the garage, no radio or climate control, or lights on, my car says 89-90 miles range. Does everybody's? Or should it read 100?
Also, my charge seems to hit 100% about 3am, and then it shuts down. When the climate timer kicks on a couple hours later it seems to draw from the cars batteries and reduces the available range further still.

Anyone having a similar experience?

The range is based on previous driving conditions so it will vary depending on the driver and the driving conditions you drove in before you parked it.

Please read through the may forums on related topics. We have many range related topics and they are very active. A bit of browsing first should give you quite a bit of information. This is not a simple yes/no question and we need to reduce the many range threads here, I see this is your first post.

RedFlash said:
At "full charge" sitting in the garage, no radio or climate control, or lights on, my car says 89-90 miles range. Does everybody's? Or should it read 100?
Also, my charge seems to hit 100% about 3am, and then it shuts down. When the climate timer kicks on a couple hours later it seems to draw from the cars batteries and reduces the available range further still.

Anyone having a similar experience?
After reading all the owner's experiences on this forum, I would say...
1. Ignore the number of miles left. It is a manufactured number based upon your driving skill and habits.
2. Pay attention to the 12 long bars to the right of the number of miles left. Those long bars are your "Gas Tank - full and empty gauge"
3. The A/C question is much more complex. Section 4-9 of your general manual speaks to the automatic functions as well as the priority that you give to A/C over charger, charger over A/C, and so on. Details are in your other navigator system manual.

I don't think the range numbers mean so much at all. In fact, what I'm seeing is that when you start with a lower number at 100% charge, the car appears to need less of the apparent range to accomplish the same drive (or at least one not too dissimilar). Take my drive today, for example - left home with 100% charge and 89 available miles showing, arrived at the office (30.5 miles later) 67% charged with 64 miles showing. Almost the entire run was at 65mph with cruise on, thanks to the MLK holiday.

Now, on the surface of things, that would appear to be a pretty good run - I only "used" 25 miles worth of range, but it also appears I'm on target to go from 4 bars used to 5 bars used on the SOC meter in my usual spot (within a couple of miles from leaving work). If the car stays on 4 bars used for a fair bit longer, then I've actually done better. I have my doubts that will happen.

Here are the previous (not too dissimilar) drives. Probably drive 2 is the closest to today's - I remember that as being a light Friday morning where, again, I barely had to have the cruise off. But that (unfortunately) sort of skews the data, because the most similar results were not only under the same driving conditions, but I also started out with a similar reduced amount of range. It would have been better to have that same kind of drive on a day when I was ~100 miles apparent:

1 - Left home with 100% and 105 miles showing. Arrived at the office 67% charged with 60 miles showing
2 - Left home with 100% and 90 miles showing. Arrived at the office 67% charged with 58 miles showing
3 - Left home with 100% and 99 miles showing. Arrived at the office 67% charged with 57 miles showing

Got 12 bars and 90 to 95 miles estimated after full charge, and took off on round trip of 75.6 miles. A lot of the driving was on freeways at 60 mph. Got down to one bar and 8 miles estimated range, and that includes an extra boost charging during trip of 40 minutes at 240v at Mossy Nissan Oceanside dealership, adding about 10 miles to estimated range. You can calculate what you wish from that info.
Gregg

Back