reneek24
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2012

Re: Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 pm

BetterLeaf wrote:The Nissan Leaf's climate control unit does not allow you to run the fan or switch to window defrost/defog mode without automatically turning on the battery draining heater.
In humid or cool weather it is desirable to run the fan at a low setting to keep the windows clear.

Here are three different alternative methods to allow you to run in fan-only mode.

All of the variants below rely on the same underlying principle:
They trick the climate control module into thinking that the heater fluid is already heated up to around 160F (70C). So it no longer turns on the PTC heater. No energy is wasted when running the fan or switching to defrost mode. The rest of the system will continue to operate normally.

Method 1: No heater switch.
Pros: Super easy, 5 cents, 5 mins, no tools or experience required, fully reversible
Cons: Heater remains always off.

Method 2: Separate Switch for Heater.
Pros: 20 to 50 mins, screw driver, no soldering required
Cons: Wire taps, location for separate switch required, pre-heating requires switch in off position

Method 3: A/C switch also controls heater.
Pros: No visible changes, no wire taps, no additional switch.
Cons: 50 to 90 mins, soldering required.

If you decide to implement one of these methods you are doing so at your own risk!
Best method yet!!! sometimes we need little heating to ocour!
Method 4: Separate (Switch AND/ OR no switch ) 1K-oom Potensiometer aka "resistor trimmer" for Heater.
Pros: 20 to 50 mins, screw driver, soldering required, You can regulate exatly Heater POWER consumption!
workind with ohters first GEN elektric cars mudels too, like iMiev, iOn, ZOE!
Cons: Wire taps, location for trimmer resistor required, pre-heating requires trimmer position hole in dash somwhere

You need lower water temperatuure, it helpful, slower water cooling will accour, and less energy needed for heating, and less power wasted, in fron of the car, where no tubes are isolated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIQDe6tqp8

Nissan LEAF heats water to 70*C and this is uses to mutch bateery energy, 5KWh!
when I turn added trimmer (POTE) to half, then I dont let water heat to 70*C, but letting water temperatuure only rise to 55....60*C, even 60*C car is worm and I loose only 10km with 100km, if outside temperature below 0*C
Lower temperatuure - lower heat lost! lower temp even 5% - gives 20% less heating energy vasted!
I gained allready more than half heating power over 100km, holding heating power below 1,5kW, but car inside temperatuure is normal like 15*C in winter.
even no ON/OFFf button not needed enaymore, I can turn trimmer putton to 0 position, and heating power allways 0.

I even put addional relay, for pre heating from android nisan APP for preheating, then car heats in full power with app and when charging cable is on. This additional relay (R) is not needed in warmer climate! Relay for most robust and for faster preheating.

reneek24

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:31 pm

with potenciometer hack, I made connection in coling and heating water systems, and now cooling water goes trough salong radiaator and in cabin already wormer

Now I dont allow water heated 70*C any more, but only to 30*C, and win -1 I have 18*C temp in cabin.Image

reneek24

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:33 pm

[quote="reneek24"]with potenciometer hack, I made connection in coling and heating water systems, and now cooling water goes trough salong radiaator and in cabin already wormer

I changed heating thermostat potenciometer with 470ohms, and this to not alow preaheating goes over 30*C. I can use 5kW heater, when needed.

Now I dont allow water heated 70*C any more, but only to 30*C, and winter -1 I have 18*C temp in cabin, without using big 5kW heater.
instead I placed 2 PTC 400W elements from 12V system in feet outleet and I use ownly 800W energy to heat cabin
It Works even with -8*C

Amazing1
Delivery Date: 04 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 333930

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Wow. Was this tread both super informative and also, well I must admit it, I don't think I understood anything other than the fact that using the Leaf's heater is a huge drain on our battery and driving range.

So, having said that, I'm a proud new owner of a 2014 Leaf SV. I believe my most frequent use of the cars climate control would be to heat the car when its very cold out some mornings, when the windows fog up for some reason and I need to be able to see when driving, and then when its hot outside and I need to use the A/C some.

Can someone please let me know if the modifications talked about throughout this 16 page thread is definitely something that I need to show to a car electronic guy and have them do? Or are there some other ways that I can use the existing car system without significantly reducing our driving range. BTW - I already know and have been using the steering wheel and seat heaters in the morning when its been like 40 degrees here, and wearing jackets, we're just fine.

Thank you. Please, in the simplest terms of what, if anything, I need to get done so we can go far as possible in our great new to us car.
:D
Ocean Blue 2014 Leaf SL, 30k miles

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:31 pm

To go as far as possible: drive slowly and don't use any climate control. Practically speaking, on a 2014 SV don't worry about it. When the temps are very low (< 30F) the resistance heater will come on and use quite a bit of power. Putting the car in ECO mode will limit that somewhat but when it's cold - it's cold. An ICE car wastes a lot of energy in the form of heat so when it's cold it seems like the heat is 'free' but in reality, that heat is always being generated whether it is needed or not. Same for the AC. It will use some power but not much. For some reason, I think the electrically powered AC on a Leaf is more efficient than the motor driven AC on an ICE car. You can watch your kWh/mile to get an accurate measurement but I wouldn't bother to skimp on AC if you need it. It doesn't take much power. In fact, when the weather is warm but not hot, it's actually more efficient to keep the windows closed and run the AC rather the open the windows when going highway speeds. The aerodynamic gain from having the windows closed out weighs the power used by the AC.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Can someone please let me know if the modifications talked about throughout this 16 page thread is definitely something that I need to show to a car electronic guy and have them do?

The heater switch modification is for pre-'13 Leafs - you already have a vastly better heating system. Here is a collection of driving tips:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297&p=482154
When the temps are very low (< 30F) the resistance heater will come on and use quite a bit of power.

The resistance heater runs when you start the heat even in milder temps, in order to speed heating of the cabin. It also starts to supplement the heat pump (in Leafs so equipped) at temps somewhere in the upper thirties to low forties, IIRC.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Amazing1
Delivery Date: 04 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 333930

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you to all who responded. Definitely comforting to know that my '14 doesn't experience the same problems of an older model. We love this car and honestly do not plan, nor do we have to drive it when the temperature here in Atlanta is below freezing, so maybe the only issue that we will have to deal with is when we're using the car during the brutal Summer months. :)
Ocean Blue 2014 Leaf SL, 30k miles

Return to “Accessories / Mods”