Atlanta winter traffic jam: 25 miles in 9 hours

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asemeco

Kept the heater off, and the headlights off whenever I was completely stopped. Five min. defrost every hour or so. Steering wheel and seat warmer on all the time.

http://www.weather.com/news/commuter-conditions/winter-storm-leon-causes-massive-gridlock-atlanta-20140128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Started with 75% charge, got home with 20% left.

How long have you driven your Leaf on a single charge?

I left midtown at 1 and got to duluth by 3:30. It took 1.5 hours to get to i-85, but after that it was smooth sailing.

FYI, the lights don't pull enough to have any meaningful impact on range or battery life...

asemeco said:
Kept the heater off, and the headlights off whenever I was completely stopped. Five min. defrost every hour or so. Steering wheel and seat warmer on all the time.

TomT said:
FYI, the lights don't pull enough to have any meaningful impact on range or battery life...

asemeco said:

That's what I learned. Thanks for confirming.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The non led lights do seem to pull a couple hundred watts, so over a few hours, it will find range a little.

But the low-beam lights are LED, right? Even without the upgrade. I think I read that in the manual.

My Leaf got me through Atlanta's Snowpocalypse fine.....8 hours to go 36 miles......took a lot of creative driving (on sidewalks, through yards, down oncoming lanes, etc.) but the car kept pulling. Ran the heat periodically and kept seat heat on. Started with 54% on the battery and got home with 18% left. The car was the best handling car that I've driven on snow and ice. ECO mode kept the throttle response from being too abrupt and B mode regeneration help descending slippery hills. Ecopia tires (10,000 miles on mine) gave plenty of grip. Had I been driving my 370Z, I *never* would have gotten home.

I periodically run the 370 to work on nice, sunny days, and on weekends like you suspected :) It had been my daily driver until I got the Leaf. I run the Leaf 1,000 miles a month to keep within the lease....if I overrun in a month, then I'm back to the Z regardless of the weather.

There's more to it than just saving gas:
- As long as you keep the heater off, it spends very little battery while idle.
- There's something about the traction on the Leaf; accelerations and decelerations are very gentle. Where most other cars were slipping and sliding, my Leaf was slowly but surely inching along. According to this,

http://sam-koblenski.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-year-and-half-with-nissan-leaf-part-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it is a combination of traction control, anti-lock brakes (ABS), and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC). All I know is, my experience driving in snow is next to none, and I was doing better than most.

Back