Warranty on 30kWh replacement battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chootie

Aloha, newbie here with a question regarding my 2012 Nissan LEAF. Is the replacement battery under the same warranty?

I bought a the LEAF used in January of 2017. It had a newer 30kWh battery installed that same month. The previous owner was talked into a new LEAF off of the lot and decided to sell to a private party instead of trade in. I bought the car and had the full 107+ miles of range (sometimes GOM stated 119 miles).

Currently, my LEAF only gets about 75 miles. It has dropped to 11 of 12 bars.

I am curious if there is a warranty on the replacement battery and what the terms are. Has anyone replaced their replacement battery? Thanks in advance for any insight into my inquiry.

There is an issue with the 30kwh battery in which it either appears to lose capacity quickly but really only needs the Battery Management System reprogrammed, or in some cases it really does lose capacity fast. Which is the case with your car? You'll have to get the free BMS reprogram, wait a few months, and see if the bar that you will regain stays, or goes away again. As for the warranty on the battery: interesting question with the 30kwh battery...

Thanks for the reply. I did read about this online but was not sure if it pertained to my 2012 LEAF with the newer battery. It stated that it pertained to 2016 and 2017 LEAFs, so I have yet to inquire with my local Nissan dealer to get the correction made. Anyone know if this is covered for a 2012 with newer battery?

"Nissan Customer Service Campaign Statement

On June 6, 2018, Nissan began conducting a customer service campaign in North America to reprogram the lithium-ion battery controller in 2016 and 2017 model-year LEAF vehicles equipped with a 30-kWh battery, to correct the calculation used for the battery capacity level gauge and distance remaining of the vehicle.

The displayed vehicle range and battery capacity level gauge on these vehicles are displaying range and capacity that is lower than the actual amount. Reprogramming the controller will result in an accurate display of the LEAFs battery capacity and trip range.

This service campaign is open to all 2016 and 2017 LEAFs regardless of mileage or if they have had their battery previously replaced. Owners should contact their local dealer to schedule the update. After the reprogramming, the balance of the original lithium-ion battery and battery capacity warranty will remain in effect for any customers who experience warrantable battery degradation."

I thought Nissan would only replace 24kWh batteries with the same and likewise for 30kWh. How do you know the replacement battery is 30kWh?

In any event, I'd bet the warranty is not reset when the battery is replaced and has already expired.

chootie said:
Aloha, newbie here with a question regarding my 2012 Nissan LEAF. Is the replacement battery under the same warranty?

I bought a the LEAF used in January of 2017. It had a newer 30kWh battery installed that same month.
How do you know it had a 30 kWh battery installed? Have some Leaf Spy readings showing # of gids on a full charge and/or AHr readings? How about a receipt showing the part numbers?

We've never ever heard of a legitimate install of a 30 kWh battery into a 24 kWh Leaf by a Nissan dealer, esp. an '11 or '12.

LeftieBiker said:
There was one such mention of a dealer-installed 30kwh pack in a pre-16 Leaf, either early this year or last year.
Do you or anyone else recall if it was legit?

I recall a post years back where someone claimed this was done but when pressed for info, IIRC, I think he was evasive and then vanished. If it was that guy, and my memory's correct, he was in error.

The one I'm thinking of was more recent, but I've searched and can't find it. I think it was tacked onto a large existing topic. It does make sense as argued, though: if the last 24kwh packs were manufactured in early 2016, then any stock left would now be pretty old by battery standards. They may still be making the 30kwh pack, if the e-NV200 still uses it...

EDIT: the van now uses the 40kwh pack, although it isn't clear when it started.

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB...on-last-mile-delivery-a-reality-across-europe

I may be totally wrong about the 30kWh replacement in my 2012. I was assuming that was the case because the first few months of ownership had my GOM at 119 miles. I will check my receipt from the dealership regarding the replacement battery and get back to you all. It was not me who posted this before, as I just joined today.

Either way, would the replacement battery still have a 30% over 5 years or 60,000 mile warranty on it? Can an older 2012 LEAF with a replacement battery go into a dealer and get another battery under warranty due to degradation?

It is highly unlikely that the replacement battery was 30 kWh. If the replacement was under warranty by Nissan, then it would be beyond the 5-year, 60,000-mile capacity warranty (that was retroactively provided by Nissan on 2011 and 2012 models) and nearing the end of the 8-year, 100,000-mile defect warranty (replacement is covered for remainder of original warranty). If the replacement was paid for by the former owner, then the 5/60 and 8/100 warranty started over on the installation date. Capacity warranty is 8 capacity bars to qualify for replacement.

chootie said:
I may be totally wrong about the 30kWh replacement in my 2012. I was assuming that was the case because the first few months of ownership had my GOM at 119 miles.

That's a 24 kWh battery. The 2011/2012 had a notoriously optimistic GOM when the battery was full, and would show over 100 miles when fully charged:
https://youtu.be/jZ2pbRJng90?t=667

chootie said:
Either way, would the replacement battery still have a 30% over 5 years or 60,000 mile warranty on it? Can an older 2012 LEAF with a replacement battery go into a dealer and get another battery under warranty due to degradation?

Echoing what Gerry said, Yes, if it was a paid replacement and not a warranty replaced battery, it would have full coverage on the battery just like a new car. That's highly unlikely--most likely it was simply a warranty replaced battery. To know, you'd have to go ask your dealer for the service history.

That said, once the battery has been replaced--either by warranty replacement or purchase, it is the new chemistry just like a later model year car. That means it will degrade MUCH slower than the original 2011/2012 batteries.

Unless you need the range, I would start setting a charge timer now to 80% charge, as you live in a climate that is not good to Nissan Leaf batteries. Hawaii never gets cold, so the Leaf sees accelerated degradation there.

It would make no sense that a warranty replacement battery have another warranty. That would imply a LIFETIME replacement battery warranty.

It would be easy for people to abuse their batteries and then demand new one constantly.

I think that one replacement is very fair, especially for an old Leaf..

30 KWH batteries replaced under warranty carry the remainder of the original warranty. I.E. if you have the battery replaced at 45,000 mi after 2 1/2 years, the new battery is warranted for 55,000 mi or 5 1/2 years whichever comes first. If you purchase a battery outright then it comes with a new warranty of 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first. I don't know of anyone who has purchased a 30 KWH battery outright.

johnlocke said:
30 KWH batteries replaced under warranty carry the remainder of the original warranty. I.E. if you have the battery replaced at 45,000 mi after 2 1/2 years, the new battery is warranted for 55,000 mi or 5 1/2 years whichever comes first. If you purchase a battery outright then it comes with a new warranty of 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first. I don't know of anyone who has purchased a 30 KWH battery outright.

24 kWh batteries work the same way. I think there's a minimum warranty duration of 6 or 12 months, however--to cover obvious defects in the new battery.

Back