kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Re: Advantage NISSAN: Offer both SAE/GM Frankenplug and Chad

Mon May 21, 2012 5:00 pm

DANandNAN wrote:Can you imagine owning an ICE and stopping to refuel every 65-75 miles for 50 minutes? ICE owners can't and that's why the Leaf's sales are down. We need batteries to get more efficient with a distance comparable to an ICE.
It probably won't happen soon enough. What we have is what we have- we just need to exploit what this car is good at. It's a good runabout and it's a good commuter car. It's not a vacation car, it's not a road trip car- quick charge or no quick charge. Ghosn has publicly come out and said they aren't marketing the car for those purposes. You make a good point. Even if there were quick charge stations, and even if I had a LEAF equipped with some sort of quick charge standard, if I have to do a 400 mile roadtrip, I'm not going to take a LEAF- that's for sure. That is, unless gas went up to $6/gal.

Those are the two ways I see EVs going mainstream. 1) Gas prices explode. 2) There's a battery technology game changer. Otherwise, it's just a commuter or runabout for most drivers- even though it does those two things better than any gas car that I've driven, IMHO.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

GRA

Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote:I think you are dead wrong, the west coast is already going CHAdeMO full steam and is investing millions in the West Coast Green Highway http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/.

Sure the charging stations can be swapped out later but the key is that it's happening now and the SAE is too late for us not to move forward. If all the EV manufacturers were being smart they would make the port plug style easy to swap out, go with CHAdeMO for now and leave it up to the customer to have it swapped out later if the need arises, it's of little consequence that it takes up more room. This way there would be a clear path to getting quick charging out there at this very critical time for the EV market. Producing a car with no Quick Charging port capacity will leave buyers of that car left out in the cold in the very near future, no matter what standard wins out, and slow the adoption of quick charging overall. The Northwest will have the first QC network and I think it's going to be come very evident just how useful, actually crucial quick charging is to the mass adoption of EV's very soon. I drove 160 miles in the Leaf yesterday within just a few hours, all because of 1 quick charger within driving distance of my house, it was very nice and the parking space was free for another car in a matter of minutes compared to the hours it would have taken on an L2! I'd trade virtually all the public level 2 chargers in the area for a handful of well spaced QC's.
George, at the moment 'Full steam' doesn't amount to much. Here in California (the largest EV market in the country) we have 4 or 5 ChaDeMos available to the public. There's a somewhat larger number in Oregon (18?), and somewhat less than that in Washington. Even if the NRG deal goes through unchanged, the total number of CHaDeMos in CA will be quite small. Compared to the large number of EVs and DCQCs that we all hope will be sold and installed in the next few years, the numbers currently out there or likely to be sold/installed in the next year or two barely even register.

I'm all in favor of getting CHaDeMo QCs out there now on popular routes so that BEVs will be able to double the practical distance they can be used for, as I don't see the numbers as large enough to restrict options for the long-term. The early adopters will likely have to just suck it up if the standard goes against them, and that was the risk they took. By the time it's a major issue there will probably be much better BEVs available, and they'll want to upgrade in any case.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

bryan38401
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 8465

Mon May 21, 2012 5:25 pm

dont forget the 16 QCs in tennessee and the ones I use can extend my range to cover half my state

Train

Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Those are the two ways I see EVs going mainstream. 1) Gas prices explode. 2) There's a battery technology game changer. Otherwise, it's just a commuter or runabout for most drivers- even though it does those two things better than any gas car that I've driven, IMHO.
If gas prices "explode", people aren't going to go out and buy a $37,000 car that gets 72 miles per charge. They will simply drive less. Or, they will budget for the higher amount that petrol costs and cut somewhere else.

DanandNan, I've been saying this for a long time here. EV's will NOT go mainstream until two things happen. They get the price down to comparable petrol engined vehicles; and the range of the battery increases considerably.

You could have quick chargers on every corner like they do gas stations now but if it takes 1/2 hour to charge, it's a losing business model. Especially when the manufacturer of the company states that it's not real healthy for the battery to be charged often with a quick charger.

People also have in their minds, that laptop batteries last a couple years and they're a brick. IF this battery can last five years and degrade "only" 30%, that is still about 21 miles so now the car has a range of 50 miles.

It is going to take decades for a gradual transition to another type of energy propulsion, whether it's natural gas, electric, hydrogen, gasoline hybride or a combination. It takes, money, time, and there's the pesky little problem of having people actually buy your product. And if sales are an indicator, that's going to be an issue.

A couple hundred cars every month in the U.S. isn't going to cut it. People aren't going to be any more confident about EV's now than 20 years ago if the same problems exist, which, they do. Limited range, high cost, and degrading batteries.

Just because enthusiasts are willing to accept the shortcomings of a 100% EV, doesn't mean the other 99+% are going to.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

kubel wrote: Those are the two ways I see EVs going mainstream. 1) Gas prices explode. 2) There's a battery technology game changer. Otherwise, it's just a commuter or runabout for most drivers- even though it does those two things better than any gas car that I've driven, IMHO.
Having driven a LEAF for one year, if battery costs come down, I don't ever want an ICE as my primary most miles driven vehicle ever again.
Even with the uncertainties of battery life, with the subsidies, it made huge financial sense for me and the other early adopters. (32 mile round trip daily commute)
There is NOTHING wrong with the LEAF being a commuter or runabout vehicle, as most of the time 85% of the people in the US don't need their primary high mileage vehicle to do anything that the LEAF doesn't already do.
And a very large % of the US has two or three vehicles per household. For them the LEAF should be the first vehicle. The high mileage commuting vehicle.
It may take higher gas prices and reduced battery costs and confidence of battery life for the mainstream public to see that.
But I think we'll get there sometime in the 5 to 10 year time horizon.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

JustinC
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2011

Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 pm

kubel wrote:It probably won't happen soon enough. What we have is what we have- we just need to exploit what this car is good at. It's a good runabout and it's a good commuter car. It's not a vacation car, it's not a road trip car- quick charge or no quick charge. Ghosn has publicly come out and said they aren't marketing the car for those purposes. You make a good point. Even if there were quick charge stations, and even if I had a LEAF equipped with some sort of quick charge standard, if I have to do a 400 mile roadtrip, I'm not going to take a LEAF- that's for sure. That is, unless gas went up to $6/gal.

I couldn't agree more. I may have made the wrong choice by getting the SL over the SV. I haven't had a single opportunity nor the desire to do a Quick Charge since I got it. I mainly thought it would improve resale value when I sell down the line, but now I'm not so sure.

I do like the backup camera, cargo cover, and the auto headlights, but the solar spoiler is a joke.
2011 Black LEAF
Jan 1, 2013 Status = [15 months] [6K miles] [12 Bars]

Pipcecil

Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 am

In the end, I have thoroughly enjoyed my CHAdeMO port. I have quick charged numerous times and it has allowed me to take many more trips in my leaf versus an ICE car (before I got my volt, and even then, the volt would use some gas on those trips).

The infighting on the DC ports to me is just plain dumb. GM (and the other car companies) want a stake in the market, I get it. And, as a company you will do whatever is needed for profit including stiffling the competition - its what every business does.

Unfortunately, I think the fighting is causing damage to adaption of EVs overall anyway. Its similar to the HD DVD vs Blu Ray wars. No one wanted to purchase the players until it was "settled" whom the winner was, and, I see it the same way.

To me, neither plug has advantage over the other which is why it makes this battle more dumb. If SAE had come up with a revolutionary design that could double the DC capacity or developed a software protocal that was extremely superior to what CHAdeMO uses, but its not. It reminds me of companies like Apple that produce the next years product that is just barely better than the other and then only half-way support the previous year(s) products. Only this time there really isn't even a better option.

Maybe CHAdeMO was being super morons in letting GM and the other companies use their specs. Maybe the SAE felt they wanted a standard to call "American Made"! Maybe the CHAdeMO standard had problems with some american infrastructure. Who knows.

In the end, its currently a loose-loose situation. Its slowing EV adaption (or will as the numbers tick up), it makes all the companies look bad, and it gives fuel to the media to spend it any way they want it too (since the real reason is unknown, and half the reason only people really deep into the information like us know). I have seen tons of articles praising the SAE for working on a standard so all the world can be the same and work together, yet no mention of other standards and specs used around the world already. The media is already twisting the information to one side or the other.

I don't see any side giving up soon. SAE is really pushing its standard which it needs to without vehicles or working units. CHAdeMO seems to be taking a more silent approach and is just trying to build units (albiet slowly). Who will win? I don't know. But until there is a total beatdown of one (like in HD DVD vs Blu Ray) it will make the entire industry look like idiots as they fight over each other (if you don't remember, try looking up the articles in HD DVD vs Blu Ray the fighting was brutal and it just hurt the customer whom wouldn't touch anything with a 10 foot stick).

I don't care who wins. One standard is needed. Because I have a leaf with a QC port I would lean toward the tech I have and use, but thats from direct emotional attachment. Neither standard is better, and if they really wanted to do something, they should have come up with a largely superior standard and this whole problem would have gone away easily, but that is just a dream...
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

DANandNAN

Tue May 22, 2012 7:05 am

GaslessInSeattle wrote:you've got to be kidding right? there are gas stations across the street from one another. What we need is to get the DC charging network way ahead of the deployment of the cars and we are just beginning to see that. eventually, when the number of EV's builds, we will need multiple stations to cover the number of users, as not everyone is going to be charging at the same intervals. Oh and don't forget, that every EV owner will have a convenient yet slower charging station at home for overnight use, something not practical for gas cars and with today's batteries, that more than covers the average 30 miles a day that people drive. The DC charging network is for the occasion that people want to go further.
Ah, yes, all those unprofitable gas stations that were installed by the U.S. government. Wait, which ones are those?

More "QC" stations aren't the answer. Better range and real quick-charges are.
Chevy Volt! - I hate burning gas but the Volt can't be Turtled!
Waiting for a 2013 Leaf w/6.6 or FFE to accompany the Volt and complete our EVolution

DANandNAN

Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 am

GRA wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:I think you are dead wrong, the west coast is already going CHAdeMO full steam and is investing millions in the West Coast Green Highway http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/.

Sure the charging stations can be swapped out later but the key is that it's happening now and the SAE is too late for us not to move forward. If all the EV manufacturers were being smart they would make the port plug style easy to swap out, go with CHAdeMO for now and leave it up to the customer to have it swapped out later if the need arises, it's of little consequence that it takes up more room. This way there would be a clear path to getting quick charging out there at this very critical time for the EV market. Producing a car with no Quick Charging port capacity will leave buyers of that car left out in the cold in the very near future, no matter what standard wins out, and slow the adoption of quick charging overall. The Northwest will have the first QC network and I think it's going to be come very evident just how useful, actually crucial quick charging is to the mass adoption of EV's very soon. I drove 160 miles in the Leaf yesterday within just a few hours, all because of 1 quick charger within driving distance of my house, it was very nice and the parking space was free for another car in a matter of minutes compared to the hours it would have taken on an L2! I'd trade virtually all the public level 2 chargers in the area for a handful of well spaced QC's.
George, at the moment 'Full steam' doesn't amount to much. Here in California (the largest EV market in the country) we have 4 or 5 ChaDeMos available to the public. There's a somewhat larger number in Oregon (18?), and somewhat less than that in Washington. Even if the NRG deal goes through unchanged, the total number of CHaDeMos in CA will be quite small. Compared to the large number of EVs and DCQCs that we all hope will be sold and installed in the next few years, the numbers currently out there or likely to be sold/installed in the next year or two barely even register.

I'm all in favor of getting CHaDeMo QCs out there now on popular routes so that BEVs will be able to double the practical distance they can be used for, as I don't see the numbers as large enough to restrict options for the long-term. The early adopters will likely have to just suck it up if the standard goes against them, and that was the risk they took. By the time it's a major issue there will probably be much better BEVs available, and they'll want to upgrade in any case.
Agreed, and I think George is right, too. How many folks are actually going to #1. Pay for DC and #2. Wait for DC "QC"? The number of Leaf owners willing is really pretty small so why waste the money? I'd love to go EV everywhere, but if I'm the only one using the stations there's going to be a lot of anger against EV.
Waiting for a 2013 Leaf w/6.6 or FFE to accompany the Volt and complete our EVolution

DANandNAN

Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 am

Train wrote:
If gas prices "explode", people aren't going to go out and buy a $37,000 car that gets 72 miles per charge. They will simply drive less. Or, they will budget for the higher amount that petrol costs and cut somewhere else.

DanandNan, I've been saying this for a long time here. EV's will NOT go mainstream until two things happen. They get the price down to comparable petrol engined vehicles; and the range of the battery increases considerably.

You could have quick chargers on every corner like they do gas stations now but if it takes 1/2 hour to charge, it's a losing business model. Especially when the manufacturer of the company states that it's not real healthy for the battery to be charged often with a quick charger.

People also have in their minds, that laptop batteries last a couple years and they're a brick. IF this battery can last five years and degrade "only" 30%, that is still about 21 miles so now the car has a range of 50 miles.

It is going to take decades for a gradual transition to another type of energy propulsion, whether it's natural gas, electric, hydrogen, gasoline hybride or a combination. It takes, money, time, and there's the pesky little problem of having people actually buy your product. And if sales are an indicator, that's going to be an issue.

A couple hundred cars every month in the U.S. isn't going to cut it. People aren't going to be any more confident about EV's now than 20 years ago if the same problems exist, which, they do. Limited range, high cost, and degrading batteries.

Just because enthusiasts are willing to accept the shortcomings of a 100% EV, doesn't mean the other 99+% are going to.
Great points too. Current "QC" is quick - to us, the folks that are use to 4 charging a Volt or 8 hours on a Leaf. We're use to waiting, but convincing the mainstream that it's ok to wait or plug in every time you stop isn't going to happen.

Something else to keep in mind is that the CHAdeMO is only capable of 125A, and the SAE Combo will be 200A so it should allow a much faster charge, but obviously LOTS of other factors are involved.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”