Carwings: server-connectivity issues are unacceptable.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, if you have to re-sign every time you want you driving records update, and it will work for one day, we are on the same boat

RegGuheert said:
grommet said:
You need to have the telematics Boot Ware & Application at 147 or up, or your KwH reporting will be significantly off. The only way a dealer can update these (to 147) is via TB-11-041 ("no telematics communication fix") from last year. This CARWINGS reporting "bug" (and the fix) is pretty much undocumented. Check your version here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (If you are at 147 or up already, you have another issue that I have not experienced.)
Thanks for the details, grommet!

So my BootWare (NK1) and Application (NK2) firmware versions are only at 127, so I must still have the CarWings problem.

But how do I get my dealer to apply the fix? The reason I say this is that my vehicle does not meet any of the criteria for receiving TB-11-41a:
TB-11-41a said:
APPLIED VEHICLES: 2011 LEAF (ZE0)
APPLIED VINS: Vehicles built before JN1AZ0CP(*)BT005518
APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built before June 1, 2011
My VIN is higher than that and the manufacturing date is later. The vehicle also does not display the "No Telematics Connection" symbol shown in TB-11-41a.

So therein lies the problem: My dealer is not authorized to perform the update on my LEAF and they have told me as much. So how do I manage to get them to fix this?
Just a quick update on this: I finally got around to calling the dealer on this and the service advisor took my information and said he would look into it. A few minutes later he called me back and said he had a technical bulletin that covers this is that he could fax to me and I could check the settings myself if I wanted. I asked him for the bulletin number and it was NTB11-101. I checked and I have this one so I thanked I'm and told him I would give it a try.

It is a simple bulletin and it seems directly applicable to my problem, so I will post a few details here:
NTB11-101 said:
LEAF; CARWINGS DRIVING HISTORY DOES NOT UPDATE

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2011-2012 LEAF (ZE0)

SERVICE INFORMATION

The CARWINGS driving history will not update/match the actual driving history if the following conditions are not met:

- Service Reminders setting is ON.

- Share Vehicle Information setting is ON.

- OK is selected on the Navigation disclaimer screen at the beginning of each trip.

My condensed version of the bulletin has just the paths to these settings:

ZeroEmission->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Service Reminders must be ON (not greyed).

ZeroEmission->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Vehicle Information Sharing with Nissan->Share Vehicle Information must be ON (not greyed).

As it turns out, I had Service Reminders turned off. Hopefully that is all I will need to do to resolve this problem. I will report back to let everyone know if it works.

yes, I too have terrible connecions with carwings, not to mention it took over two weeks and three service calls to get the application to work.

Everytime I attempt to check the car status, at least once an hour because I charge at a public location and have a mile walk to the location, I have to re login. And then refresh (reponse time is usually between seven to fifteen minutes). Interestingly it is quicker on rainy days. :|

And I hate having to refresh the page and relogin from the laptop. The reason I check so frequently is because sometimes the car has finished charging closer to half hour sooner than the charge notification when I parked. (Finished in 4 hours instead of 4.5 like the display stated).

At least ChargePoint lets me know quickly that the charge is running down, even if it isn't enough time to let me change and get to the parking garage...

RegGuheert said:
I will report back to let everyone know if it works.
FYI, I DO now get driving history from CARWINGS. I'm not convinced I am getting everything, but I am certainly getting something now that I made the prescribed changes.

Of course, changing those settings back to the "working" default won't fix the undocumented kWh reporting bug in the old telematics firmware. :roll:

I purchased my Leaf 5 days ago and the carwings connection issue is horrible. I have been able to connect only 2 or 3 times in those 5 days. I usually get an error message saying it couldn't connect. I'd love to pre cool the car before I had to drive it but that feature won't work. I woudn't pay a dime for carwings. Its useless, at least from my home computer to the car 20' feet away.

ncken828, the LEAF uses a cellular network to communicate... AT&T in the United States. If your car is parked in a location with marginal AT&T coverage, you may have issues. If your area's data coverage is generally stable for AT&T, there is a chance your LEAF has an issue that you may need to address with your service department.

I feel like when I try to control things from my iPhone that a signal is sent to a kid in Japan who then hops on his bicycle and rides a couple of miles down the road to Nissan headquarters, gets cleared at security, and then throws a rock at a window where his dad works, and at some point his dad comes to the window, unless he's on break, which he often seems to be. His dad then ties the request to a carrier pigeon which flies across the pacific ocean, lands on my car, and punches a button I can't see. That aggravating bird also craps on my windshield to let me know that my status has been updated.

jspearman said:
I feel like when I try to control things from my iPhone that a signal is sent to a kid in Japan who then hops on his bicycle and rides a couple of miles down the road to Nissan headquarters, gets cleared at security, and then throws a rock at a window where his dad works, and at some point his dad comes to the window, unless he's on break, which he often seems to be. His dad then ties the request to a carrier pigeon which flies across the pacific ocean, lands on my car, and punches a button I can't see. That aggravating bird also craps on my windshield to let me know that my status has been updated.
ROFL :lol:

(A little "exaggerated" ... but not too far fetched ... in my own experience ;) )

I am just annoyed at how long it takes to get into the app and to the point where I can request the climate control to come on.

Half the time I have to re login or it gives an error, or I get to the screen and "turn climate control on" is greyed out until I do an "update" and wait a minute for the charge status to refresh then I can finally turn it on.

By then I've usually paid the check and walked to the car.

so up until the time you paid the check you hadnt decided whether you were gonna take the LEAF or the bus?

but anyway; up until last week, carwings has worked "well enough" sure sometimes i had to reconnect a few times or log in, (info is saved so it was simply press ok in the log in screen) and so on but the past week it has been worse.

in a few cases, it would not work at all

It's like any cell phone (though it actually uses SMS): They work some places and don't others... There is really nothing that Nissan can do about that.
Surprisingly, Carwings works fine up where I live while cell phone reception from any provider here is marginal at best.

DaveinOlyWA said:

TomT said:
It's like any cell phone (though it actually uses SMS): They work some places and don't others... There is really nothing that Nissan can do about that.
Surprisingly, Carwings works fine up where I live while cell phone reception from any provider here is marginal at best.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Cellular QOS is not an issue in my case

Back