LEAF Link for iPhone/iPad/etc - available on the App Store

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to update Mike i have an iphone 3 both on the nissan apps say login failed ...never been able to login in to either since i installed the apps....let me know a work around...thanks

has ios6 on my iphone 4s, logs in ok, but times out requesting info on every try.

i'll try it on my ipod touch with ios5 at home tonight.

---------
update: worked as soon as i posted... : )

now all stats are showing...i swear...it wasn't working for the past 3+ hours...
---------
thanks.

Hi Mike, There wasn't any help link in the app, so I thought I'd try contacting you here. I've tried several times to log in using my Carwings ID & password and it always fails. I just created my Carwings account last night (ie, less than 24 hours ago) and logged into it in my car's console a few minutes ago. Should I expect a time delay before I'll be able to log into Leaf Link after setup of my Carwings account?

EricTheRed said:
just to update Mike i have an iphone 3 both on the nissan apps say login failed ...never been able to login in to either since i installed the apps....let me know a work around...thanks
Hmm, if you're having trouble logging in with both apps, I suspect it's a problem with your CARWINGS account. Can you login at https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/? You should be using the same username and password that you use at that website.

I've noted that there is some confusion in the terminology that Nissan uses. When you login to the CARWINGS website and go to Edit Vehicle Profile, you see CARWINGS™ Nickname, CARWINGS™ PIN, and CARWINGS™ Password; none of which are your login username/password. The username and password you should be using are under the OWNERS PROFILE section, Account Information.

As an aside, in my case my username and CARWINGS™ PIN are the same, but I think that's just because I made them that way. I don't think they necessarily have to be the same.

herekittykitty said:
Hi Mike, There wasn't any help link in the app, so I thought I'd try contacting you here. I've tried several times to log in using my Carwings ID & password and it always fails. I just created my Carwings account last night (ie, less than 24 hours ago) and logged into it in my car's console a few minutes ago. Should I expect a time delay before I'll be able to log into Leaf Link after setup of my Carwings account?
There is actually an email link inside the app, but it's a little bit buried (touch the "i" button from the main screen, then Help & Tips; it's at the bottom of the page). I'm working on making it a little easier to find. ;)

I don't really recall whether there was much of a delay when I setup my account. If it takes much longer, I would check a couple of things:

1. Can you login to the Nissan Owners website above? (note the site address - it is specifically for LEAF owners; if you go to nissanusa.com and click on My Nissan Owners Portal, you get a different owners site)
2. Can you login to the official Nissan app? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nissan-leaf/id407814405?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Check that you are using the correct username and password. See above - Nissan definitely made it confusing. :?

Hope this helps both of you. :)

Yes, I noticed that too (what's the purpose of having a PIN AND a password?) In my case, the PIN and password are the same and yes, I am trying the same User Name and login as I use for the owner's portal, to attempt to login to the Leaf Link app.

Like EricTheRed, I too am using an iPhone 3G. Hmmm....I refuse to install iTunes on my computer (bloated piece of...), so I haven't updated any firmware since I bought the phone. Does Leaf Link depend on a specific firmware version for the iPhone? My version says 4.2.6 (8E200).

I haven't downloaded the official app because it was rated so poorly. Everybody loves Leaf Link instead :)

UPDATE: You were right, something wrong with my account, as I couldn't log into the Nissan app either. I had to "change" my password online (to the same damn one), and then I could log into both apps. Thanks, Mike.

I can confirm that this latest beta does not work for me, as a European user.
- I am able to login succesfully into the Nissan Carwings website in my country
- Am able to login sucessfully to the Carwings Iphone app that is available on the UK Itunes website

However:
- Same login does NOT work on the US carwings website
- Same login does NOT work in the Leaf Link app (both Itunes and the latest beta)

Ogi said:
I can confirm that this latest beta does not work for me, as a European user.
- I am able to login succesfully into the Nissan Carwings website in my country
- Am able to login sucessfully to the Carwings Iphone app that is available on the UK Itunes website

However:
- Same login does NOT work on the US carwings website
- Same login does NOT work in the Leaf Link app (both Itunes and the latest beta)

Have you tried logging in a second time? I'm in Australia and the first time I tried to login, it failed after appearing to work briefly. I tried again & it worked, same login as Carwings.

Version 1.0.9 is updated on the server.

This is mostly an update for international testers. Based on feedback so far, 1.0.8 worked in Australia but not in France or the UK. Version 1.0.9 adds a few more Nissan servers/urls to try. And I have good news - looks like it now works in France! :mrgreen: Hopefully the same is true of other places in Europe and elsewhere.

Also changed in this update:
- "i" button on the main screen changed to "?" - hopefully it will be more clear that help/documentation lies that way.
- One-time alert pops up telling you about the help/info/settings button.
- When login fails, a "Troubleshoot..." button comes up on the login screen, which takes you to...
- New "Troubleshooting Login" section of the help file

Basically all of the above is in response to the first 1-star review I got on the app store. :cry: Looks like someone couldn't login and also couldn't find the link to email support (which is there, but buried). Hopefully this mitigates that type of situation.

I can now confirm it is working here in the UK through the Beta version. It is the version 1.0.9

Incidentally I also had to log in twice to get in but since then it's been working perfectly. A definate improvement on the existing Carwings app as well :D

Sefton74 said:
I can now confirm it is working here in the UK through the Beta version. It is the version 1.0.9

Incidentally I also had to log in twice to get in but since then it's been working perfectly. A definate improvement on the existing Carwings app as well :D
Exact same experience same here on the latest Beta 1.09 with European login. Looking good - it's well thought out and a clear step above the Nissan app.

The one thing I would say is that, I suspect the in-car Carwings menu process (in the Euro version of the Leaf) to save information feeds may be slightly different than that of the American version.

Some general feedback:

First I love the app! This is what Carwings should have been. All the info on one screen and no stupid confirmation prompts and "I did it" notifications. The carwings app has officially been retired off my iPhone.

I suggest you display the "tips" at the very beginning of the first time you run it. Maybe condense it down to a few bullet points as the info is quite useful.

Sort of related to the above, make it more obvious what you can touch on the main screen. I had no idea you could toggle between 80% and full showing. That's great!

Explain the setting for "time to charge" in the help and here. Is this an estimate of the current time to charge, from zero to full or what?

Make settings more iOS-ish. The format is a little strange with some of them being toggles and others multiple choices. I think iOS represents this better in their standard configuration screens.

Finally, a problem. I cannot purchase the in-app additions but I'd like to! I get a message that says info in not available from the app store. BTW I am running on a iPhone 3G--not officially supported I know but it does seem to work.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Version 1.0.10 is updated on the server.

This is a fairly minor release, including a few minor fixes, some updates for iOS 6, and support for the new iPhone 5 screen size. However, it comes with a dilemma. Apple, in their customary infinite greed, have essentially given developers an ultimatum: if you want to fully support iOS 6 and the iPhone 5, you must drop support for anything prior to iOS 4.3. Specifically, this means dropping the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2g.

This annoys me greatly because these two older devices are perfect candidates for people to use as secondary devices to run apps like LEAF Link [see post just above]. I already had some heartburn over the fact that I don't support the original iPhone or iPod touch, but that was at least a technical limitation; this is purely arbitrary on Apple's part - a ploy to recruit developers in their push to force people into buying new devices. :evil:

So, what to do? Logic says that millions more people will have iOS 6 and iPhone 5 devices than will have iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2g; therefore I should go ahead and drop the few stragglers in order to support the majority. I just HATE to do that. :( :x

Any thoughts are welcome - especially from those few of you who have been using LEAF Link on the older generation devices. I'm still mulling it over, but realizing that if I don't make a decision and submit this update soon, Apple's App Store review team is going to be quickly swamped with other developers updating their apps for iOS 6 and iPhone 5. Review time could already be up to a several weeks from the 10 days it was last month.

For now, the current beta supports the older devices and leaves out one fix for iOS 6 (Open Maps App button opens Google maps in Safari on iOS 6; to fix it and open the new iOS 6 Maps app, I have to drop the older device support).

baronvonshush said:
Apple, in their customary infinite greed, have essentially given developers an ultimatum: if you want to fully support iOS 6 and the iPhone 5, you must drop support for anything prior to iOS 4.3. Specifically, this means dropping the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2g.

Any thoughts are welcome - especially from those few of you who have been using LEAF Link on the older generation devices. I'm still mulling it over, but realizing that if I don't make a decision and submit this update soon, Apple's App Store review team is going to be quickly swamped with other developers updating their apps for iOS 6 and iPhone 5. Review time could already be up to a several weeks from the 10 days it was last month.

As an iPhone 3G user I hearby give you my blessing to eliminate support for my sorry excuse for a phone. It's never been the same since iOS 4 and since you can now get a FREE iPhone 4 (or a cheap 4S) with the usual contract I see no excuse for not upgrading anymore. (note: if you are unfortunate enough to have to live under California's rediculous excuse for a legal system I think you still get to pay sales tax)

I foresee the holdouts like myself upgrading soon. Oh like maybe in a few minutes...

We can always use version 1 of the app which works fairly well.

The only reason I've been using it on my son's old iPod touch 2g (4.2.1 iOS) was to help beta testing. I do use it on a first generation iPad, but that runs iOS5, so it should be ok.

baronvonshush said:
So, what to do? Logic says that millions more people will have iOS 6 and iPhone 5 devices than will have iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2g; therefore I should go ahead and drop the few stragglers in order to support the majority. I just HATE to do that. :( :x
I would recommend dropping the older devices and focusing your efforts on a single version. Trying to support two versions will simply dilute your efforts to the detriment of the project (unless you can afford a large development team then I'd say support both :D).

Version 1.0.11 is updated on the server.

No code changes here, just a build change that I think (hope) has allowed me to outsmart Apple and include support for the older devices (iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2g) all the way through iPhone 5 and iOS 6. If you have the time, I would specifically like to hear from people with devices on either end of the spectrum:

- Old devices above running 4.2 - does it run?
- Anyone running iOS 6 - specifically, does the "Open Maps App" button on the Send to LEAF screen open the new Maps app (not Google Maps in Safari)? It does for me on the simulator, but I haven't tested on an actual device.

If the answer to both of the above is "yes" then I think we have a winner. I'll submit this version to the App Store as soon as I update the documentation with some more international CARWINGS website urls.

If not, then oh well - I tried. :| Probably time to move forward as everyone has suggested.

Thanks again! :)

Back