Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The i3 will launch first in Germany this November. The lower-than-expected price means that demand in BMW’ home market could be significantly higher than first anticipated. This, in turn, could be why the US launch of the BMW is was delayed by a few months.
Title: BMW-i3 Priced Well Below Expectations in Germany; Sales Volume Predicted to be High
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-priced-well-below-expectations-in-germany-sales-volume-predicted-to-be-high/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
So, it will be a year before we can get i3.

Leaf SV+packages : $2k down + $125 a month
Base i3 : $2k down + $400 a month (?)
i3 REx : $2k down + $500 a month (?)

So, 3 or 4 times the price of my current Leaf. No CHAdeMO. Hard to justify.

Where did you get a LEAF for $125/month???
36 month lease, $2000 down, not including state incentives?
Did it come with quick charge, did you already list details? If so, please link me to them.

Some of the Puget Sound area dealerships have been offering $99/month Leaf leases for at least a year. This is how we got ours.

Not sure about anywhere else.

Anyway, clearly Leaf is still cheaper, but right now I will welcome every "competition" especially when a high-end brand joins in with a relatively affordable model. We're still in the situation when a rising EV tide lifts all boats.

I especially like the introduction of range-extender as accessory. It should greatly help the mainstreaming of EVs.

TonyWilliams said:
Who wants to put bets on 65mph freeway (all my usual caveats) range?

Above or below LEAF?

Lower weight won't help it much. Smaller battery won't help at all.

I say 78 miles. Can't wait to test one July 2014.
bmwi3mnl

I just noticed that the NEDC range in Comfort mode is quoted at 190 km. The 2013 LEAF has achieved 200 km on the same cycle. According to the information released last week, ECO PRO and ECO PRO+ mode will add about 12% of range each. I doubt however that the EPA is going to consider those driving modes. No information has been released on 80% and 100% charging. Looking at the aero wheels and the ultra-low resistance tires seen on the prototypes, I would expect to see about 5% lower freeway range at steady 65 mph. Perhaps 79 or 80 miles? That said, considering the results on the NEDC cycle, one has to wonder if a 90+ EPA rating is possible with the i3. I'm also wondering if BMW will lead with a REx trim in the US market.

ELROY said:
Where did you get a LEAF for $125/month???
36 month lease, $2000 down, not including state incentives?
Did it come with quick charge, did you already list details? If so, please link me to them.
24 months and includes $1,000 loyalty discount & VPP price.

evnow said:
So, 3 or 4 times the price of my current Leaf. No CHAdeMO. Hard to justify.
Three or four is probably exaggerated. Double is more like it. Doesn't affect your conclusion. The i3 is a premium vehicle that neither looks nor, if you believe this review, acts the part. http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1307_2014_bmw_i3_first_drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is one not very flattering review.

scottf200 said:
The i3 will launch first in Germany this November. The lower-than-expected price means that demand in BMW’ home market could be significantly higher than first anticipated. This, in turn, could be why the US launch of the BMW is was delayed by a few months.
Did "they" expect this to be a $60,000 car? With a range extender and a few basic options it looks like it will be $50,000 or more. Given that we're talking about an EV with a range of maybe 90 miles and a crippled generator mode, that pricing is above not below my expectations.

scottf200 said:
Insideevs.com - Seems like $31,350 in CA will be a pretty good deal.
This was more in line with what I was expecting (plus tax credit of course).

Because the gas range has to be limited to no more than the electric range to meet the CA certification requirements for an unlimited-class HOV sticker... (The category under which the Volt is certified is limited to only 40,000 stickers.)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Why does the 34hp motor only add 60 miles to the range? Why not as many miles as you want like the Volt?

TomT said:
Because the gas range has to be limited to no more than the electric range to meet the CA certification requirements for an unlimited-class HOV sticker... (The category under which the Volt is certified is limited to only 40,000 stickers.)
So you can drive the i3 long distances, you just have to stop every 80 miles for gas?

the frunk was made for http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just don't have a accident, supposedly BMW's placement of the gas tank is already lunacy (its between the cabin and front axle!!!!)

ydnas7 said:
the frunk was made for http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just don't have a accident, BMW placement of the gas tank is already lunacy (its between the cabin and front axle!!!!)
bmwi3mnl

Didn't the old Beetle have a similarly placed but much larger gas tank? It looks like this worked pretty well for them as far as design decisions go. That said, I wish the REx wouldn't burn gas, but it's what it is. Although lots of information is still missing or incomplete, I don't know how many prospects would want to pay a substantial premium over the LEAF to get a BEV with the same or lesser freeway range. I think it's a familiar dilemma, and the Infinity LE with a LEAF-sized battery pack faced similar questions and scrutiny. The REx will likely be one of the defining features of the i3, and although not much is known about it, one thing is certain, it won't be very convenient on long trips. If anything has been learned so far, it's that buyers will pay a premium for range, and not necessarily whiz-bang features.

Much worse news for GM than Tesla, IMO.

Think of all the Volt drivers who have posted on MNL, saying they "never" use gas, and just want the "security" of the ICE?

Think of how many more of these insecure BEV buyers there may be for a PHEV with ~three times the electric range, for only a ~6 $k more.

Not to mention, that the I3 is a BMW not a Chevrolet...

BMW's New Electric Car Just Became a Major Problem

On Monday, BMW (NASDAQOTH: BAMXF ) announced that the U.S. base price for its all-electric i3 will be $41,350, not including any federal or state incentives. For General Motors' (NYSE: GM ) Chevy Volt, and possibly Tesla Motor's (NASDAQ: TSLA ) Model S, BMW's move spells major trouble. Here's why.

Bad news, GM

With a starting MSRP of $39,145 in 2012, the Volt was the best-selling EV, and it's not hard to see why. Really more of an electric hybrid than a straight EV, the Volt combines a 9.3-gallon fuel tank with a lithium-ion battery. This combination allows the Volt can go an estimated 38 miles on pure battery before switching to regular fuel, which extends the range to an estimated 380 miles. Because of this combination, the Volt cuts down on range anxiety, which is still a huge deterrent to getting consumers into EVs.

Now, compare the above to BMW's all-electric i3: According to BMW, the i3 has a pure-electric range of 80-100 miles, thanks to its lithium-ion battery, and has an optional range extender that lengthens that initial range by 80 miles. Plus, thanks to BMW's eDrive technology, a driver can extend the initial range up to 124 miles by putting the vehicle in one of the "EcoPro" modes.

Right away you can see the problem. Not only does BMW's i3 go farther on pure battery power, but with the purchase of the optional range extender, range anxiety goes way down. More pointedly, the base MSRP for the BMW is only $2,000 more than the Volt. I don't know about you, but if I had to decide between spending $39,000 for a Volt, or $2,000 more for a BMW, I'm going with the BMW, hands down.

Tesla, this is bad for you, too

Right now, Tesla is the crème-de-la-crème of EVs. But it's competing against all-electric EVs like Nissan Motors' (NASDAQOTH: NSANY ) Leaf, and Ford's (NYSE: F ) Focus Electric. To put it simply, Tesla's Model S can drive circles around these cars. Yes, it's more expensive, but the technology, range, and precision of the Model S makes anything else seem almost silly in comparison. BMW, however, is a luxury brand with renowned German engineering, and its new i3, and the future i8 model, presents a new challenge for Tesla.

Consider this: The i3, designed from the ground up as an EV, has received praise from some of the industry's harshest EV critics. As BBC's "Top Gear" drivers put it:

At first sampling, then, this is a compelling electric car. It's not the first on the market, but BMW has put some original thinking into almost every part of its design and engineering. It drives sweetly, is distinctively designed, and has the reassuring range-extender option if you are anxious about running flat.

These are the same critics that gave Tesla's Roadster a less than glowing report -- in fact, Tesla sued the show for "libel and malicious falsehood" because of the review.

What to watch for
The i3 isn't set to hit showrooms until the second quarter of 2014, and right now it's too soon to predict exactly how this will affect GM and Tesla's sales. However, given BMW's reputation, the i3's reviews, and the just released base price, this is something investors would do well to monitor...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/07/23/bmws-new-electric-car-just-became-a-major-problem.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Per ThankYou-

• BMW has announced pricing for its i3 electric car. The E.V., equipped with a 170-horsepower electric motor, hookups for a home charger or an S.A.E. combination DC fast charger and the standard array of BMW accouterments, will start at $41,350, with an additional $925 destination and handling charge. Depending upon the state of ownership, buyers may have E.V. credits and incentives available. The i3 will be unveiled in New York, London and Beijing on July 29. (BMW USA)

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =1749&mid=

and vehicle stats and details, including BMS with cooling.
http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 42&mid=299

Knowing BMW if there are many options the car will get really expensive and I expect dealers to also gouge.

I think not. The BIG difference is that the Volt has the option of going much further than the BMW, should the need or want arise, and that it also has decent performance on the ICE, which the BMW does not... Same with the Tesla in terms of ultimate range. I see all three of them addressing different markets with little overlap.

edatoakrun said:
Much worse news for GM than Tesla, IMO. Think of all the Volt drivers who have posted on MNL, saying they "never" use gas, and just want the "security" of the ICE?

Back