SageBrush
Posts: 4747
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:44 pm

fotajoye wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
tjleis wrote: Hi.. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm concerned that Nissan wont help you with a battery replacement. I have been driving 2011 leaf for over two years.. Its down to 7 bars and the dealer says the battery is still under warranty. Can I expect any issues from Nissan to have them honor the warranty. From looking at some comments in this forum I'm unsure what to expect from Nissan.
Your dealer is confused. There is a battery defect warranty that is still in effect but that will not apply to degradation. The battery degradation warranty has lapsed in your car.
Your situation is interesting; please let us know how you make out and the costs; Dealing with Nissan can be difficult; but, who knows, you may get a special deal.
Who knows ? We know.
Ever since the goodwill program ended years ago, Nissan has without exception told owners of LEAFs with degraded batteries to pound sand from the moment that the warranty lapses. There is ZERO reason to think his case will be treated differently.

I understand that you have a vested interest in seeing people continue to call Nissan but don't be an asshole by suggesting that his situation is somehow more likely to gain Nissan help than anybody else.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

solartim
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am

tjleis wrote:Hi.. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm concerned that Nissan wont help you with a battery replacement. I have been driving 2011 leaf for over two years.. Its down to 7 bars and the dealer says the battery is still under warranty. Can I expect any issues from Nissan to have them honor the warranty. From looking at some comments in this forum I'm unsure what to expect from Nissan.
Previous replies are accurate, if your battery totally dies before 2021 you're covered. Hopefully the Fenix Power battery comes through. They are including a thermal management system, so it should be more reliable. Check out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597

fotajoye
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 669
Location: Northern California

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 pm

SageBrush wrote: I understand that you have a vested interest in seeing people continue to call Nissan but don't be an asshole by suggesting that his situation is somehow more likely to gain Nissan help than anybody else.
Do not call people names or assume their motives are adverse, when you don't know; that's the stuff of high school and we work to keep the forum open and encourage people to treat each other civilly. With statements like this you drive people away and cheat the members from gaining information.

My statement to the other member was to find out if Nissan has changed their policy and pricing on replacement batteries in other areas of the country...information of an important nature for those who may face dealing with Nissan in the future, perhaps even you.

If you have a grievance against Nissan, take Nissan to task, not the people on this forum, who are attempting to share information with one another.

barsad22
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Feb 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm

I spoke with a mechanic at the Concord, CA Nissan and he gave me an $8K quote for the replacement on my 2011 Leaf. But what was really telling is that he said there had been ZERO replacements done in that shop. Meaning, in the history of the Leaf being on their floor -- this is a fact even in a highly populated area where many Leafs were purchased (including mine). I'm sure Nissan management is very happy with that number, they want to sell new cars, not help loyal customers from 8 years ago. If they wanted my business for the Leaf-Plus, they probably should have offered a really good trade-in for the 2011-2012 Leafs, but that would have meant their marketing team was actually a group of thinking people.
I would be very interested in how many total replacements have been done across the U.S. -- it is probably a very small number.
And this was my dilemma as I end my wait for the Leaf-Plus and finally put in my order for a Tesla 3... do I plunk down an additional $8K (plus, I'm assuming the real price is higher) for less than half the range I'm getting in the Tesla? As much as I like the Leaf as a brand, I don't see how it makes sense. Now I have to say goodbye to my tired 2011 Leaf even though for a more reasonable price (or much greater range) I might have pulled the trigger and kept both the Tesla and the older Leaf.

JG
2011 red Nissan Leaf SL L3
Delivered 2/17/11
Aerovironment home charger

fotajoye
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 669
Location: Northern California

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

barsad22 wrote:I spoke with a mechanic at the Concord, CA Nissan and he gave me an $8K quote for the replacement on my 2011 Leaf. But what was really telling is that he said there had been ZERO replacements done in that shop. Meaning, in the history of the Leaf being on their floor -- this is a fact even in a highly populated area where many Leafs were purchased (including mine). I'm sure Nissan management is very happy with that number, they want to sell new cars, not help loyal customers from 8 years ago. If they wanted my business for the Leaf-Plus, they probably should have offered a really good trade-in for the 2011-2012 Leafs, but that would have meant their marketing team was actually a group of thinking people.
I would be very interested in how many total replacements have been done across the U.S. -- it is probably a very small number.
And this was my dilemma as I end my wait for the Leaf-Plus and finally put in my order for a Tesla 3... do I plunk down an additional $8K (plus, I'm assuming the real price is higher) for less than half the range I'm getting in the Tesla? As much as I like the Leaf as a brand, I don't see how it makes sense. Now I have to say goodbye to my tired 2011 Leaf even though for a more reasonable price (or much greater range) I might have pulled the trigger and kept both the Tesla and the older Leaf.

JG
As always; the same answer: if you like the car and, with 72 miles range and a replacement $9k battery, it will meets your needs for another 8 years; it's the better price. We forget how expensive it really is to buy a new car with the base cost, delivery cost, taxes and licensing, even with incentives.

BTW, many are opting to buy the base $35k Tesla model 3 instead of the Leaf plus because of the better technology in the Tesla. The costs are estimated to be about the same.
I have the same situation; and, my decision is to keep driving the old Leaf and replace the battery...it meets my needs, so I cancelled my model 3 reservation.

jlatl
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2013

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:04 pm

I too am very disappointed with how Nissan is handling the battery replacement. I think there is no question that I will never replace the battery in my Leaf.
But - I will continue to drive it for as long as possible. We have 2 cars - electric and ICE. The Leaf is the preferred car. But as range diminishes my wife and I will just switch off, with the Leaf being taken by the one with the shorter drive.
I plan/hope to get 80,000 miles out of the Leaf before the capacity drops too far. If I make that the car will have been a great purchase. Between tax breaks and savings of electric vs. gas I project the total cost to be about $3K for the car. Can't beat that.
2013 Leaf S

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”