2011 Leaf sat for 5 weeks, now shows no signs of life

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anitza

Hi - my 2011 sat outside (in full summer sun) for 5 weeks while I was recovering from surgery. I left it plugged in for the first couple weeks (I had other things on my mind) then unplugged it (sitting at 80% charge in theory).

I tried today to see where it was at, and there are no signs of electronic life at all. It doesn't beep when the fob is near. Even the parking break light if off. And it certainly doesn't turn on or accept an instant charge.

I don't have an easy way to test the 12V. (I've read elsewhere on this forum that leaving it plugged in too long can do weird things to the 2011 12V... again I had other things on my mind.)

I suppose I will have to have it towed to a dealer, but any things to try would be super appreciated. Or even tips to ensure I don't get sscrewed at the dealer. :roll:

The 2011 model has a bug in it, so when you leave it plugged in for an extended amount of time it will not charge the 12V battery. This is probably what killed the 12V lead acid battery.

No need to tow it, just pop the hood, get a fresh 12V battery, and install it. The car should spring to life.

Almost certainly the 12V battery. If you have another car, you can use jumper cables to make sure the LEAF powers on that way. Otherwise, if you have a 12V battery charger then hook that up.

Honestly, if the 12V battery is more than 3 years old then just replace it.

You don't need to have it towed for any of the above

Anitza said:
Hi - my 2011 sat outside (in full summer sun) for 5 weeks while I was recovering from surgery. I left it plugged in for the first couple weeks (I had other things on my mind) then unplugged it (sitting at 80% charge in theory).

I tried today to see where it was at, and there are no signs of electronic life at all. It doesn't beep when the fob is near. Even the parking break light if off. And it certainly doesn't turn on or accept an instant charge.

I don't have an easy way to test the 12V. (I've read elsewhere on this forum that leaving it plugged in too long can do weird things to the 2011 12V... again I had other things on my mind.)

I suppose I will have to have it towed to a dealer, but any things to try would be super appreciated. Or even tips to ensure I don't get sscrewed at the dealer. :roll:
How old is your battery? If original, it is very likely dead. If not dead, then weakened to the point of not being trust-able.

If you are a AAA member, perhaps do this:

https://wa.aaa.com/automotive/battery-service.html

While more expensive than buying a battery and installing yourself, probably cheaper than having the car towed and the dealer installing a battery. But not everyone wants to install a battery.

Jumper cables or a battery charger might be good enough to get the car to drive someplace that will install a battery, as well.

2011 will charge 12V battery while actively charging traction battery, but will discharge 12V battery slowly over time if left plugged in after charging is complete (either 80% or 100%, depending upon charge timer settings). Since the 12V battery was likely dead after the first week, it sat for a month fully discharged (which is very bad for lead acid batteries) so you need to purchase and install a new 12V battery. The car should then be fine.

I agree with the dead/almost_dead 12v battery.
No reason at all to tow the LEAF just for 12v battery replacement, and even less reason to go near a Nissan dealership. You will end up paying 3x if you go to Nissan.

I replaced the 12v in our LEAF a couple of years ago with a replacement from Walmart for ~ $100. If you want someone else to do the install, try getting the car to come to life with the help of a friend's car and some jumper cables*, then drive to an auto parts store ** that offers installation as part of the battery price.

*You may need to keep the cars connected for a couple of minutes before yours will start if your 12v is in particularly bad shape.
** Call ahead to verify that they have the 12v replacement battery you need in stock

Good luck !

Indeed. If one goes to a Nissan dealer for a 12 volt and has them install it, it will be expensive. I bought a replacement from Costco and DIY. See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=572068#p572068 for pricing.

cwerdna said:
See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=572068#p572068 for pricing.
Good link
51R is the ticket.

Do all replacements have and use the vent tube ?

I don't recall any vent tube. The original, the "84 month" replacement and the Interstate battery I got from Costco are standard flooded batteries with vent caps that you can remove to add water. The battery goes under the hood, so I don't think there's any concern/need for vent tubes.

^^ thanks.

I would look for this one
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-TITAN-12-volts-Lead-Acid-6-Cell-51R-Group-Size-450-Cold-Cranking-Amps-Auto-Battery-51RT/204837939
for a couple of reasons:

1. It will probably outlast the LEAF
2. If I recall correctly, 12v batteries with high CCA have worse DoD longevity (and vice versa.) This is a low CCA battery

2. If I recall correctly, 12v batteries with high CCA have worse DoD longevity (and vice versa.)

Starting batteries with a high CCA rating have thinner plates with a larger total surface area, to support as large a number of chemical reactions as possible to produce those amps. Deep cycle batteries have thicker, more robust plates for longevity.

The battery goes under the hood, so I don't think there's any concern/need for vent tubes.

Right. Vent tubes are for batteries that are located in places where any vented electrolyte would cause serious damage, or in remote locations that don't get washed or cleaned. Priuses use them because of the location of the accessory battery in the rear cargo area..

I attach a trickle charger to the 12v when I let the vehicle sit for more than 3 days. I hardwired the connector to the battery, so attaching the charger is plug and play. I use this technique for all my vehicles.

Back