Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbsocdelica said:
4. Repair: Pavel and my local mechanic can do most of the repairs for me; I'm not sure what a dealer could do at this point that he or my regular mechanic (brakes, fluid changes) couldn't do.
A mechanic one trusts means a lot, no doubt about it

As to specifics, I'm under the impression that Nissan sells repair manuals at reasonable cost. That is the good part
Repairs that require software interfacing can be a different story though because the Nissan package ("Consult", IIRC) is quite expensive and may not be held by independent garages.

----
An aside ...
I'm reading John Steinbeck's 'Travels with Charley.' A car mechanic talks about his job and his hope to set up a business. He reflects on his prospects and says "there is one great thing about cars. They are always breaking." I couldn't help but laugh.

SageBrush said:
jbsocdelica said:
4. Repair: Pavel and my local mechanic can do most of the repairs for me; I'm not sure what a dealer could do at this point that he or my regular mechanic (brakes, fluid changes) couldn't do.
A mechanic one trusts means a lot, no doubt about it

As to specifics, I'm under the impression that Nissan sells repair manuals at reasonable cost. That is the good part
Repairs that require software interfacing can be a different story though because the Nissan package ("Consult", IIRC) is quite expensive and may not be held by independent garages.

----
An aside ...
I'm reading John Steinbeck's 'Travels with Charley.' A car mechanic talks about his job and his hope to set up a business. He reflects on his prospects and says "there is one great thing about cars. They are always breaking." I couldn't help but laugh.

My Dad had a GMC Carryall like Steinbeck drove around the US with his dog, we all read the book partly because of that.......

jbsocdelica said:
“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.”

Steinbeck
I learned that lesson from my Mom. She *loved* getting lost. We would get in the car and she would drive until she had no clue where she was. It was high adventure. I don't think it occurred to her that she was instilling a joy (or at least a lack of anxiety) for the unknown in her son but I think she gave me a special gift. And all with a gas guzzler. I'm still not sure how we never had to walk home.

Ok Leafies, so this is before I go 80 mph on the fwy along the California Coast....

2011 Leaf with 62 kWh battery installed inLos Angeles.

and to @Sagegbrush... 'the road less traveled'

and in terms of dogs (and Charlie)

"You know, the best friend I ever had was a dog
It sounds like a cliche unless it’s happened to you
Some days that dog was the only reason I even got out of bed
That dog went everywhere with me
And then I heard the crack addicts
Were stealin’ dogs and selling them for animal research
It sounded like an urban myth to me
Like the mouse in the Coke bottle
But I started leavin’ her at home after that"

Dan Bern

Aloha!

Addendum: Installer is MIA, no forwarding address, doesn't have voicemail. He is still taking new clients, but stay away!

Attachments

• 267 before going fast.jpg
    267 before going fast.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
@DougwantsaLeaf

GOM, yes I know, but I can sure take it down in a hurry with my lead foot, surfboard on top and ebike on the back.... Today, after abusing it, the full charge showed 200 (on economy mode)

Aloha, stay safe

Attachments

• ebike 2.jpg
    ebike 2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 127
@LeftieBiker

Bike model is: S07-2 Electric Bike

AOSTIRMOTOR Electric Bike 48V 13Ah Lithium Battery EBike 750W 7 Speed Fat Tire Electric Mountain Bicycle

It's a rear driven model, but super powerful.

Got a smokin' deal on for under $1k with shipping and CA taxes.

Having fun reprogramming the settings, and have ordered surfboard rack for it... The settings for assist are pretty wrong, it wants to go to almost 650 watts in first passenger assist in any gear, so funky to be sure. It does ride quite well, settings as funked up as they presently are.

Because the aluminum frame is pretty light (relatively speaking without battery), I can use the old Thule 990 XT rack, though have ordered fatter wheel wells.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGJFDC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In term so of the bike itself, the picture shown has a slightly different color than mine. Right now, Newegg has a similar deal, and I think for signing up, you get a 10% coupon and / or free shipping....? Could be similarly smokin' (just not like the Bolt, we hope).

https://www.newegg.com/p/03W-015A-00002?&quicklink=true

Aloha!

Attachments

• 990 xt.jpg
    990 xt.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 102
  • bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 79
They claim the top speed is 'up to 15MPH'. I assume that this 750 watt mid-drive is a BIT faster than that?

(Yes, I'll move these posts to the eBike topic later.)

@LeftieBiker

I think I hit 28 mph (but that may have been going down hill). The display lets you program higher speeds (there are about 16 settings; one accesses these by hitting the up and down keys at the same time. I'll see what I can get it up on the flat (and have the phone speed gps measurement
to check it's accuracy...)

The 13 Ah 48 volt battery seems pretty good (though I am thinking of getting a spare battery for longer rides)

Today's numbers prior to surf check:

Aloha!

Attachments

• 282.jpg
    282.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 85
https://www.thedrive.com/news/38867/which-car-surprised-you-the-most-in-a-good-way

Another nice surprise review, though I certainly feel like the volume is waning as the design ages vs. The growing loner range competition.

Well, on the topic of buying a used LEAF... every now and again I like to shop for them just to see what's out there. More and more of the used ones seem to be picked up by (a.k.a being dumped by) Carrvana).

Today I found this 2013 LEAF SV for sale there with ~64K for $7590.

Now I've never seen a LEAF with only 6 bars left for sale until this one.[img=https://cdnblob.fastly.carvana.io/2000764427/pre/original/2000764427-manual-13.jpg?dpr=2&width=2000&v=2020-12-02T15:33:08.327Z][/img] The Carfax raves that the last owner drove less the 4000 miles a year. I was thinking that at about 30 miles a charge, it would take some time to get 4000 miles on that car. :D

Anyway, the only up with Carvana is that at least an unsuspecting buyer might figure out in the 7 day return period that the car they just bought will not go far from home. Anyone want to chime in on what they think the car is really worth?

Back