Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By way of explanation for my assumption: I didn't know, when I was looking to lease a 2018, that the All Weather features were standard on the SL.

Moving on: sometimes the lack of a feature is a feature. My housemate is happy that her SV+ with Tech Package doesn't have the Bose stereo, because she has an unobstructed cargo floor. She doesn't even play the radio when driving alone, so it's a better situation for her.

Leftie

Similarly we bought the SV+ over the SL+ because we did not want that obstructive subwoofer. We often (pre covid) do large Costco runs, camping, luggage, and not...subwoofer wort of audiophiles, so cargo is king.

What surprised us was that Nissan had gotten rid of the mid tier seat fabric in this gen car, which we really liked in our 2013. (Hence we upgraded them post purchase)

Mod note: Driver assist for the elderly discussion moved to https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31708

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leftie

Similarly we bought the SV+ over the SL+ because we did not want that obstructive subwoofer. We often (pre covid) do large Costco runs, camping, luggage, and not...subwoofer wort of audiophiles, so cargo is king.

What surprised us was that Nissan had gotten rid of the mid tier seat fabric in this gen car, which we really liked in our 2013. (Hence we upgraded them post purchase)

I like the Bose audio, but use the car for hauling stuff a lot. I worried about stacking stuff on the subwoofer when the 2015 was new, but I soon quit worrying about it. I just stack stuff in the hatch without doing anything to protect the subwoofer and never damaged the 2015 and have no issues with the 2019 so far.

There is a topic around here somewhere, in which I show how to make a nice, level cargo floor even with the subwoofer. All you need is a Weathertech or similar hard cargo mat, with cutouts for the subwoofer that you leave in. A similar hard mat with no cutouts would also work. Stack scrap packing foam on the floor up to just under the subwoofer, put the mat on over them, and voila! Level cargo floor, albeit with a few cubic feet of vertical space lost. You can place infrequently used items like a portable EVSE, tools, etc, among the foam blocks.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31477&p=591154

sbjnZmub.jpg

Leaf exceeds 500 sales in a month for the first time in years...maybe ever. Yes, small potatoes compared to the Zoe, but strong for this market.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2020/12/23/21-plugin-vehicle-share-open-the-gates-in-germany/amp/

I find it curious that there are basically no supply of used Leaf Pluses on Carmax or Carvana. Hundred model 3s, all being advertised at 35k or more, but no Leafs (that are not already purchased).

While I know there are many more M3s in the US, it surprises me a little that we haven't seen the used prices start to fall more for the M3 like they have for the Model S. With all of the trade ins for a Y and Tesla M3 prices lower than it was 2 years ago for the M3, you think would force a larger used price discount. Yes software is updating, but mechanicals age.

Oh and 756 Norway Leaf registrations in December. While Yes M3 and ID3 did great, I am still impressed at how well Leaf sells in Norway. https://elbilstatistikk.no/

DougWantsALeaf said:
With all of the trade ins for a Y and Tesla M3 prices lower than it was 2 years ago for the M3, you think would force a larger used price discount.
You are not taking the loss of tax credit into account

As usual, Tesla sales are bunched into the 3rd month of the quarter. I'm actually surprised so many Model 3 (4232) were sold in December. My guess that Model 3 sales would peter out as people wait for Model Y is not coming true. Mid 2021 Giga Berlin will start producing Model Y. That will be exciting to watch. I expect a run rate of 1 million made in Europe Tesla a year from ~ early 2022.

It is time for Tesla to start serious planning for Terafactory #2 in Europe, and Terafactory #3 a year later. That would bring them to a European production capacity of ~ 3M a year by 2025. I don't know if that will be enough to satisfy demand. It probably depends on how FSD is developing, and whether the talked about $25k Euro entry level Tesla has reached market.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My 2 cents are that Tesla adding the Heat Pump to the M3 was what pushed many Norwegians over the fence for the extra burst.

Giving up an EV with a heat pump like our Leaf for a Tesla with resistance heat was not appealing. Tesla with a heat pump and FSD ils very appealing for our needs as they under price Nissan on EV's by 2025. FSD should good to go by then.

We didn't like the idea of giving up our heat pump in our Leaf but we realized two things.

1. We try not to be in Canada during the 3 coldest months of the year.

2. As we are stuck here because of COVID this year we also realized that
a. we travel much shorter trips in the winter
b. we still stop every two or three hours to pee and coffee up so a quick 15 minute charge goes a long way.

Then again. Our longest trip is 460 something kilometers in the winter soooooo.

OK. Enough with the snow. Bring on spring...and the vaccine. .

50772046262_35e5ed79e3_c.jpg

webeleafowners said:
We didn't like the idea of giving up our heat pump in our Leaf but we realized two things.

1. We try not to be in Canada during the 3 coldest months of the year.

2. As we are stuck here because of COVID this year we also realized that
a. we travel much shorter trips in the winter
b. we still stop every two or three hours to pee and coffee up so a quick 15 minute charge goes a long way.

Then again. Our longest trip is 460 something kilometers in the winter soooooo.

OK. Enough with the snow. Bring on spring...and the vaccine. .

50772046262_35e5ed79e3_c.jpg

Your logic makes sense to me. Our 2016 SL is Deep Pearl Blue so I really your color choice. When it comes to driving on snow does AWD give you noticable better traction? We don't get that much snow but when we do I take the wife to work in our 2010 Subaru Forester.

If our totalled 2016 SL didn't have a new 40 kWh battery in it and most of the damage could be unbolted I wouldn't have bought it back. The other factor is I want my son to develop some EV trouble shooting skills. I am 70 with electronic troubleshooting skills and he is 23 with diesel mechanic training and we have an old 2 bay shop. We found a mint inside and out 2015 SV with 27K miles for our parts car. The insurance company had totalled it due to unresolved computer errors.
My condition is we must first determine what the 10 error codes mean and determine the cost to resolve them before we strip it for parts. Leaf Spy can not yet see the battery.

Q4 YoY sales for Leaf actually up! Down for full year, but some positive numbers in Q4; a bit over 4600 units (vs 3.2k in 2019) ...tepid expectations, but better than I had expected.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/news/3649079-nissans-us-sales-declines-19_3-in-q4

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/nissan-group-reports-fourth-quarter-2020-and-2020-calendar-year-us-sales#

Yeah, I just read that on my feed. I'm not surprised since it's $6000-$8000 off before dealer discounts. Also leases start at $100/month. I'm glad to add to the quarterly total buying my SV Plus for about $20k after tax credit and rebate.

Back