Can I use my 2018 Leaf EVSE on my 2022 Leaf and vice versa?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyred

I purchased a 2018 Leaf which I still have. It came with an EVSE which I use to charge in the garage (Level 1). I recently purchased another 2022 Leaf and they've changed the EVSE to include a 14-50 plug. Sometime this summer I'm going to have a 220v line added to the garage and would like the option to charge either car with either EVSE. So Level 1 with the older EVSE when I don't need the faster charge and level 2 with the newer EVSE when it comes in handy. Is this ok to do? Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Yes, that would be fine. Just be sure, when the new 240 volt circuit is installed, that it's a 40 amp circuit, and not a 30 amp , commonly known as a "dryer circuit." The reason is that the Nissan EVSE will let the cars pull just under 30 amps, and you need at least a 40 amp circuit in that case for it to be safe and legal.

I would put in 6 AWG wire for a 50 Amp circuit, to match the 14-50 receptacle. You can match the wire with a 40 Amp breaker, but I think you will find that 50 Amp breakers are about the same price and easier to find, and then you will be all set for the cars you have now and any 40 Amp EVs you buy in the future.

Second, do yourself a favor and buy a good quality 14-50 receptacle, not the cheap crap at homeDepot or Lowes. It will cost you some $30 more but will reduce the risk of overheating/fires. Ask the electrician if they torque the screws to spec. If the answer is anything other than 'you bet,' find another person to do the work.

By the way, it will be a 240 volt circuit, not 220

One nice bonus is that the faster charge rate will be more efficient in terms of how much electricity you're consuming. The car is always running stuff like the coolant pumps while it's charging. Having to do fewer hours of that will save you money.

Back