Ez2517
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2020

Re: Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

alozzy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:40 pm I recall reading somewhere that the same issue exists with many Nissan ICE cars too.
Just look at the PDF, it lists lots of Nissans ...
goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Reading through the TSB it doesn't seem like this is more than an annoyance. I occasionally hear a faint tick sound in my Leaf on acceleration or deceleration but it almost sounds like normal gear lash. I was planning to just ignore this. Any experiences out there to contradict that sentiment?
dadofTHOR
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2021
Leaf Number: 303447

I purchased my 2016 SV about 4 weeks ago. The clicking noise started about a week ago. After reading the service bulletin that addresses this issue, I called my local Nissan dealer and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the remedy is what was detailed in the service bulletin.

I had the repair done yesterday, it took about 90 minutes, and set me back $150. The service manager told me that, while it’s annoying (which it WAS), it’s unlikely that that there would be any damage caused by not fixing it.

I am now enjoying only the gentle whirr of the motor, the way the EV gods intended.
passepartout
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2014

dadofTHOR wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm I purchased my 2016 SV about 4 weeks ago. The clicking noise started about a week ago. After reading the service bulletin that addresses this issue, I called my local Nissan dealer and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the remedy is what was detailed in the service bulletin.

I had the repair done yesterday, it took about 90 minutes, and set me back $150. The service manager told me that, while it’s annoying (which it WAS), it’s unlikely that that there would be any damage caused by not fixing it.

I am now enjoying only the gentle whirr of the motor, the way the EV gods intended.
I am having the one click issue on releasing and pressing the accelerator pedal with my 2018 SV. Can you tell me which service bulletin is was?
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

I don't have the number, but I believe it's the one for re-torquing the axle bolts.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
passepartout
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2014

LeftieBiker wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:09 am I don't have the number, but I believe it's the one for re-torquing the axle bolts.
thx
alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

AFAIK, the TSB is for 2011 - 2017 LEAFs only

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 1-0001.pdf

It's possible that your wheel lug nuts aren't tight enough, an easy thing to check...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D
Goodbar
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017

My car had both the axle clicking noise and a different click coming from the brake pads shifting in the calipers. The dealer performed the axle nut TSB and we haven't heard that click since. They also "lubricated" the brakes, and it went away for a while, but has returned. Point being, while the axle clicking appears to be very common, there are other potential sources that sound similar.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A
jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Updated TSB that includes 2018 and newer LEAF vehicles. And it seems to include quite a few other Nissan vehicles. Wondering at what point does this issue require a more permanent fix given that issue has returned on both my LEAFs?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 8-0001.pdf
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2020 APR 94.3 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - 2020 APR 92.0 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)
DungenessLeaf
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 338351

I just completed the repair for the Clicking Noise during acceleration and deceleration. Mine was clicking only on the left side. This was quite easy. I started with the front left. Jacked it up, remove the cotter pin, lock shield, washer, and nut. I noted the torque needed to remove the nut, and it was not much at all. Once removed, it is easy to push the spline back about 20mm which compresses the drive shaft spline. It does not stay so I had someone hold it in while I applied the grease. Mine did not have much corrosion, but if there is, screw the nut back on and use a rubber mallet and see if it will move. I used some moly grease but I imagine anything similar would work fine. Using a split tongue depressor, i carefully applied the grease on the splines on both the inside and outside. Be careful not to drag any dirt into the grease. If you touch the dirty area with the grease, wipe the stick and start over. Remove the pressure and the spline shaft will move back a bit. Next the Belleville washer is placed on with the concave side towards the inside. This also helps push some grease into the splines. Next screw on the nut. I used the same nut and washer and here is why. In my decades as an aircraft mechanic, there were only some instances where a nut was required to be changed, usually on a critical engine part. The nut on the Leaf is quite large and looked perfect. Same with the washer. One could surmise that the spring washer was flattened and should not be used again, but when the nut is tightened up, the washer is flattened and would not know it was ever dished. It looks like Nissan changed the torque specification on this nut to correct the clicking noise from (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) to (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs). This requires a big torque wrench and I think it was a 32mm socket. Then clock the lock shield and re-insert the cotter key. The nut on the right side front was definitely tighter than the left. Did the factory have an out of calibration or mis-set torque setting on the left side? Anyway, there is no more clicking noise coming from the front left wheel. Letting this go does not seem like it would ever cause a problem, it is just annoying. This repair takes only a few hours for both sides. Easy

Return to “Engineering”