Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem with my 2018 Leaf ever since I bought it, it gives the clicking noise when I slowed down using the ePedal but then later it makes the clicking noise when I accelerate from a stop so I thought it’s the solenoid for the brakes that makes the noise.

I took it back to the dealer, they charged me $155 for the diagnostic and fixed it for the same price of an hour labor by greasing the front axles, cleaned and lubed the CV axles as per TSB NTB12-055H and the noise is gone.

The other mechanics that I took it to thought it was the transmission but it wasn’t it. They hoisted the car up and looked at what the dealer did, and all they did was cleaned up the rust around the axle and sprayed the grease on the outside. That was it.

So I wonder how long the grease would last once the car drives through some rain or water. My mechanics said if the noise comes back after driving in the rain or water, just take it back and have them grease it again.

For my 2018 Leaf SV, the clicking sound started when the car reached about 100k KM (63k miles). It was very faint to begin with but 9000 miles later, it became very noticeable.

Finally brought the car to the dealership and they followed the TSB to "repair" it. The cost was $600CDN(US$450).... They also suggested a wheel alignment after the axle was touched. I declined that US$120 service though...

I supposed any auto mechanic should be able to follow the TSB to "clean" and "lube" the axle? That's what the dealership performed for $600CDN.....

Ken

I have 71,000 miles on my 2013 Leaf and have been lurking on this thread for a while while listening to the clicking noise for the last 2000 miles. Today I lubricated the splined hubs per NTB12-055H and the clicking is gone. This post is simply to share with the community my experience.

This task was done previously under warranty (by the dealer in Bellevue) at about 35K miles. The hub nut was torqued somewhere near 200 ft-lbs (not 89# referenced in the TSB) . I couldn't get it off with my 24" harbor freight cheater bar without breaking it so I rented a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. There was no concave washer under the hub nuts. I bought two (identified in the TSB) and installed them. I re-used all the other hardware. Either the spec has changed for this job regarding torque and the washer or the mechanic that did the job earlier was not very attentive. In the TSB the 2013 Leaf gets "special mention" so I suspect this is a modification to the original build.

Some people here have mentioned cleaning the mating area around the hub. I did not because there is not much room to work with and it looked okay. I pushed the shafts in and applied a light coat of grease on the outside and then on the back used a cut off paint stirring stick to push grease onto the male shaft. Then I worked the shaft back and forth a few times to spread grease.

I see some folks had some more expensive parts replaced to cure this problem. Given that my clicking is gone so is my anxiety about more significant repairs. This is an easy DIY job... don't even entertain more expensive fixes until you do this first.

All is good again in Leaf-Land.

Kevin

Hi - I have everything needed to work on NTB12-055J on my 2017 Nissan Leaf. Before I started, I wanted to find the torque needed to install the new axle nut. I researched but couldn't find the torque needed for the 2017 leaf. Any help is appreciated!

kindred said:
Hi - I have everything needed to work on NTB12-055J on my 2017 Nissan Leaf. Before I started, I wanted to find the torque needed to install the new axle nut. I researched but couldn't find the torque needed for the 2017 leaf. Any help is appreciated!

The torque spec is listed in the TSB: 121 N•m (12.3 kg-m, 89 ft-lb)

Thanks but it specifically stated it was for 2013 Leaf. I couldn't see anywhere in the TSB what the spec should be for other Nissans.

IMPORTANT (for 2013 LEAF only):
Install the washer.
Tighten the center Lock Nut to 121 N•m (12.3 kg-m, 89 ft-lb) with a torque wrench.
If the center Lock Nut is tightened more than 121 N•m (12.3 kg-m, 89 ft-lb), the clicking noise could occur.
If the center Lock Nut is tightened less than 121 N•m (12.3 kg-m, 89 ft-lb), looseness could occur.
If the center Lock Nut is reused, the clicking noise could occur.

Also, this is the best how to video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61JcAp0RN5w&t=6s

Ah, I was reading too hastily. The factory torque spec from the 2017 service manual is 130 NM / 96 lb-ft.

A3MfyJi.png

Back