1BOG?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I'm still a little foggy about if we actually need a ~6kwh system when you consider us putting energy back on the grid at peak-hour TOU rates and taking most of it off under off-peak TOU rates. I'm given to think that we really only need a system that's ~5kwh under those circumstances, but none of the salesmen thus far has been astute enough offer an opinion on that. I would hate to under size my system and find out that I wasn't generating enough, especially since we would be getting payed for any excess from next year.

I'm calling SDG&E in a few minutes to see if they can help me understand EXACTLY how my metering works. I have a TED and want to set it up so that all the numbers are accurate and that will allow me to judge my expected Leaf electrical load at it pertains to my billing. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Jimmydreams said:
I'm calling SDG&E in a few minutes to see if they can help me understand EXACTLY how my metering works.

You know what I wish I had....some kind of graphing to show our usage at any given hour during the day, instead of just a daily total. That way I could put it up against the readout of your monitoring system and get an idea of what kind of surpluses I could expect at any given time. I don't suppose you have any figures for your household? I mean, they obviously won't be the same as mine, but anything would help!

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:
I'm calling SDG&E in a few minutes to see if they can help me understand EXACTLY how my metering works.

You know what I wish I had....some kind of graphing to show our usage at any given hour during the day, instead of just a daily total. That way I could put it up against the readout of your monitoring system and get an idea of what kind of surpluses I could expect at any given time. I don't suppose you have any figures for your household? I mean, they obviously won't be the same as mine, but anything would help!

What kind of figures are you looking for? I might have some that will help, I might not. ;)

Jimmydreams said:
What kind of figures are you looking for? I might have some that will help, I might not. ;)

I dunno really. Just thinking out loud, I suppose. I guess the easier way would be to just go check out the meter hourly during a typical day. That would work. I wish Edison would do a usage breakdown by day though.

for $200 you can get yourself a "TED" and then you will have all the data you want/need
you can even get a separate "CT" when you get the EV, to monitor the exact amount used by that breaker.
This also works with "Google Power" as well, and they have an iPhone app (of course)

http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted-5000/packages

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:

I dunno really. Just thinking out loud, I suppose. I guess the easier way would be to just go check out the meter hourly during a typical day. That would work. I wish Edison would do a usage breakdown by day though.

I figured out how to add the TED display to my solar web page, so you can check it out and see a whole slew of live data (and history going back a week or 2 since I installed it) as well as some basic graphs of energy usage and generation.

http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar (and no, the site doesn't sell anything. It's informational about my home solar and now the TED data.)

mitch672 said:
for $200 you can get yourself a "TED" and then you will have all the data you want/need
you can even get a separate "CT" when you get the EV, to monitor the exact amount used by that breaker.
This also works with "Google Power" as well, and they have an iPhone app (of course)

http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted-5000/packages

If/when I get a Leaf, I will have a CT for that circuit as well, so that I can figure out exactly how much energy I use, how much my solar generates, and how much goes into my Leaf.

(yes, I'm a numbers junkie :oops: )

Back