2016 Leaf won't start

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just happened to me too: 2013 Leaf with 47320 miles - original battery (both) after sitting for 4 days in 40' weather.
The display on the main screen went on all right, the center console did not. Got a message on the main screen saying something about T/M malfunction . . . visit dealer. :roll:
Checked the 12V battery - showed 9.2V.
So I put it on the 12 charger. Center console went on, but still no go. It displayed the "Push brake pedal" picture. I pushed repeatedly, then waited for the battery to charge some more. After about 5 minutes it reacted to the break pedal push and the car turned on. Everything normal since then. :mrgreen:

Checked the 12V battery - showed 9.2V.
So I put it on the 12 charger. Center console went on, but still no go. It displayed the "Push brake pedal" picture. I pushed repeatedly, then waited for the battery to charge some more. After about 5 minutes it reacted to the break pedal push and the car turned on. Everything normal since then. :mrgreen:

Are you saying that you connected the external charger with the car On, or that you only used it very briefly before trying to start the car, or...?

I would like to know this as well, I'm having the same issue with my 2011 Leaf. Did you charge the 12 volt battery itself or plug in the car?

catch22 said:
I would like to know this as well, I'm having the same issue with my 2011 Leaf. Did you charge the 12 volt battery itself or plug in the car?

The best way to do this is to fully charge the 12 volt battery first, with an external charger. You can leave it in the car and connected.

I have found the first symptom of low 12 volt battery is your brake pedal does not feel right when pushed. If you get no resistance, doubtful it will start. The Leaf 12v battery problem is the Lupus of car diagnostics. Your indicators, assuming you have enough juice, make it seem like you had at least 5 catastrophic failures. Always, always start with checking the 12v. I carry a 12v charger from my ICE days and extension cords, not for the tractor battery, but for this relic of the ICE we Leaf owners must have.

I have found the first symptom of low 12 volt battery is your brake pedal does not feel right when pushed.

That isn't necessarily true. Like lupus, the initial symptom can be one of several things, and it's often the car failing to unlock with the power locks.

I've had massive weird problems when the 12V battery went flat:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25349
Charging it with a standard automotive charger, still attached to the car, has done the trick. In my case the one thing that always worked was the power locks. I am not impressed with Nissan here: low battery should result in a message, not a mess and certainly not a drive time failure!.

Back