Decision I have to make on range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
evnow said:
I figure 300 mile S will be about $70K, if not more. I find it difficult to justify that kind of money for a car :oops:

Yeah, a better solution for me would be to pay the cost for my employer to put in a EVSE for me. Or even buy a second Leaf, using one to get to work and the other to get home (if I could only charge at work on 120v and had to leave car one on charge for 16 hours).

Won't work for me, we are a one car family and neither of us uses a car for commuting (I use my e-bike 5 miles to the station + an hour on the train). Two thirds of our mileage are long distance, usually 175 miles each way with no charging opportunity at the destination except a portable generator. Ok, I could spare maybe 5kWh from the PV system batteries, but that won't ge me home again :) I need to fast-charge at least once with a 300 mile pack and twice with a 200 mile pack. A 100 mile pack would be near useless, I'd have to fast-charge six times.

I guess a lot of what we have to decide remains up in the air until we get some real world numbers. For those of us who really have doubts, there are only two ways to go - a) suck it up, buy the car, and see how it all shakes out or b) wait until the real world numbers start to come in and then take the plunge.

The plus side for those who beta test the car for the rest is that I'm sure there will be eager buyers on the secondary market should it not work the way we'd hoped.

jkirkebo said:
Cars are very expensive here, even my VW Touran 2.0TDI cost $70K new. EVs are much cheaper because they're not taxed at all. If Tesla can deliver the european 300 mile Model S AWD for $90K or less I'm very probably getting one. A competing gasoline model like the BMW 535i costs twice that.

Are you in Denmark ?

evnow said:
jkirkebo said:
Cars are very expensive here, even my VW Touran 2.0TDI cost $70K new. EVs are much cheaper because they're not taxed at all. If Tesla can deliver the european 300 mile Model S AWD for $90K or less I'm very probably getting one. A competing gasoline model like the BMW 535i costs twice that.

Are you in Denmark ?
I am guessing Norway :?:

jkirkebo said:
Two thirds of our mileage are long distance, usually 175 miles each way with no charging opportunity at the destination except a portable generator.
Dare I say it here? It sounds to me as if a Volt would fit your needs better than a Leaf. (Think of it as a Leaf with a smaller battery and a portable generator on board.)

It would be nice if the Leaf battery pack had a plug where you could throw an extra battery pack in the trunk and plug it into the rest of the pack.

You might buy the 50 mile pack for those occasional longer trips, or maybe the 20 mile pack if you need just a touch of extra range. Could even be a third party product as long as Nissan supplied the attachment point.

I imagine this isn't all that hard to do and perhaps a hobbiest will come up with something, or a complete third party solution

YES! Excellent Idea !
Hacking the LEAF! Looking forward to it :geek: (Ofcourse, there's the issue with warranty ... :cry: ) Let's start with the VSP sound ...

LEAFer said:
evnow said:
jkirkebo said:

Are you in Denmark ?

You are correct :cool:

planet4ever said:
jkirkebo said:
Two thirds of our mileage are long distance, usually 175 miles each way with no charging opportunity at the destination except a portable generator.
Dare I say it here? It sounds to me as if a Volt would fit your needs better than a Leaf. (Think of it as a Leaf with a smaller battery and a portable generator on board.)

Yeah, I'm taking an interest in the Volt (well, Open Ampera over here) too, that is "Plan C". I'd really like to get rid of the ICE though, with all it's complexity, oil changes, timing belt and whatnot. Also plug-in hybrids don't get the same benefints as pure EVs get here (no tax, free parking, free toll roads, HOV lane etc).

All I really need to be able to go anywhere is 50-200 fast chargers around the country and a EV with a 2-300 mile range...

It would seem that a 10-minute stop at a Quick-Charge just off the freeway (the first exit just south of the "Y") in Temecula would help your situation.

I suggested a location (in a mall) on the EV Project "charger locations" map, but you might want to call them directly and check their intended Level 3 charger locations.

LakeLeaf said:
It would be nice if the Leaf battery pack had a plug where you could throw an extra battery pack in the trunk and plug it into the rest of the pack.

You might buy the 50 mile pack for those occasional longer trips, or maybe the 20 mile pack if you need just a touch of extra range. Could even be a third party product as long as Nissan supplied the attachment point.

I imagine this isn't all that hard to do and perhaps a hobbiest will come up with something, or a complete third party solution

That is what I am hoping for because the ver 2.0 will have a longer range. Buying a small add on pack would be cheaper then buying a whole new pack. That is what I would like.

Gonewild said:
That is what I am hoping for because the ver 2.0 will have a longer range. Buying a small add on pack would be cheaper then buying a whole new pack. That is what I would like.

Nissan said they were going to take steps to insure that early adopters weren't left 'holding the bag'. I'll be very interested to see what upgrades are available for Leaf 1.0 owners, both in software for the nav/info system and range improvement options as compared to Leaf 2.0 etc.

Jimmydreams said:
Nissan said they were going to take steps to insure that early adopters weren't left 'holding the bag'. I'll be very interested to see what upgrades are available for Leaf 1.0 owners, both in software for the nav/info system and range improvement options as compared to Leaf 2.0 etc.
Do you have a source or quote? I am hoping they'd include an upgrade program to 6.6kW charging.

evnow said:
jkirkebo said:
LEAFer said:

You are correct :cool:

Will they building better place changers in Norway ? That would be another option - some Renault models sold there may be compatible.

I don't like Better Place much, they seem to want to lock people in to using them exclusively, wheter for charging or battery swaps.

I'd much prefer fast chargers to be put up by a multitude of companies (sponsored by the goverment would be nice) and adhering to a common standard (CHAdeMO with TEPCO connector seem to be the leader). Some might even be "free", like at a McDonalds if you buy a meal etc. Battery swapping I have no use for, it seems quite redundant with 20-45 min 80% chargers available. I'd prefer a break after driving 200 miles anyway, no need for 5 min solutions.

i think BP will...oh wait...better not use that....lets start over

i think Better Place will work with local organizations at the local level, city governments, etc. charging stations will pop up like parking meters.

Only if there is considerable revenue attached, I suspect.

Right now, the EVSE sale and install looks like it creates almost as much income as the dealer makes selling a car.

I don't like Better Place much
Neither do I, they sound like they want to impose themselves as a toll-grabbing-middlemen. As such they might lobby against public charging stations and other options unless these are paying their Better Place tax.

As for range for those who arent sure there will be the option of renting the leaf from a car rental company for a day to see how it goes before buying.

Back