Decision I have to make on range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
Jimmydreams said:
Nissan said they were going to take steps to insure that early adopters weren't left 'holding the bag'. I'll be very interested to see what upgrades are available for Leaf 1.0 owners, both in software for the nav/info system and range improvement options as compared to Leaf 2.0 etc.
Do you have a source or quote? I am hoping they'd include an upgrade program to 6.6kW charging.

+1.

billvon said:
If the Leaf can't make it 66 miles reliably, it may make a lot more sense to do the PHEV conversion on our Prius to cover our local driving and improve gas mileage on the 66 mile trips.

The route is from Mira Mesa, CA to Perris Valley, CA.

3 miles secondary roads at start - speed limits 25 to 50mph
60 miles freeway - speed limit 70 (average speeds around 75) (probably unsafe below 65)
3 miles secondary roads at finish - speed limits 40 to 50mph

Elevation gain 1000 feet total
Moderately hilly; two ~1000 foot climb/descents along the way

I assume if it can make it there, it can make it back at full charge, since there will be 1000 feet of elevation loss.

Anyone have any thoughts/guesses on this?

I would agree that until the real-world range improves that the PHEV Prius is a solution that will minimize "range anxiety". Without even going into "ICE-kill" mode on my (10-12KWh) version, in mixed mode I can average >65 mpg including a high speed commute with hills. From all that I have seen so far, the Leaf will be lucky to deliver a 60mi range with hills and speed, not to mention other electrical demands such as AC. This is the main factor that will keep me happy with my conversion until I see a pure EV with a 150-200mi range. Or, if there is a better implementation of "fast" charging.

Jimmydreams said:
Nissan said they were going to take steps to insure that early adopters weren't left 'holding the bag'. I'll be very interested to see what upgrades are available for Leaf 1.0 owners, both in software for the nav/info system and range improvement options as compared to Leaf 2.0 etc.

Nissan offering current Leaf owners an at cost (or even cost plus a small margin), plus installation, battery purchase option on the 2.0 extended range battery pack would, without any doubt, be a huge PR coup.

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:

Nissan offering current Leaf owners an at cost (or even cost plus a small margin), plus installation, battery purchase option on the 2.0 extended range battery pack would, without any doubt, be a huge PR coup.

Don't hold you breath, they are a car company. How about a charger upgrade, sure won't be very nice to have twice the pack size and half the charger!

EVDRIVER said:
DeaneG said:
Jimmydreams said:
Do you have a source or quote? I am hoping they'd include an upgrade program to 6.6kW charging.

+1.

I'm trying to find exactly where I read it. IIRC, there was no specifics other than the idea that it implied that Leaf 1.0 would have upgrade capabilities. I'll keep looking and post it if I find it.

mwalsh said:

Yes - they could even give a certain amount of credit for the used battery.

billvon said:
Most of our driving on a daily basis is <10 miles. My commute is ~5 miles but I usually bike, so our Leaf would be used mainly by my wife for her work/shopping. The problem is that 90% of her driving is to a local drop zone that's 66 miles away. She drives it often enough that it represents 95% of our total miles.

If the Leaf can handle that trip we'll probably go through with buying one. It will also involve getting a charge point installed at the DZ, but I can get that done. If the Leaf can't make it 66 miles reliably, it may make a lot more sense to do the PHEV conversion on our Prius to cover our local driving and improve gas mileage on the 66 mile trips.

3 miles secondary roads at start - speed limits 25 to 50mph
60 miles freeway - speed limit 70 (average speeds around 75) (probably unsafe below 65)
3 miles secondary roads at finish - speed limits 40 to 50mph

Elevation gain 1000 feet total
Moderately hilly; two ~1000 foot climb/descents along the way

I assume if it can make it there, it can make it back at full charge, since there will be 1000 feet of elevation loss.

Yes. Don't do it. You are too close to the range limit to comfortably achieve that sort of drive. The sort of fast driving you are talking about is going to really hit the range of the car. Right now, the Nissan LEAF is the wrong choice for you.

billvon said:
The problem is that 90% of her driving is to a local drop zone that's 66 miles away. She drives it often enough that it represents 95% of our total miles.

If the Leaf can handle that trip we'll probably go through with buying one. It will also involve getting a charge point installed at the DZ, but I can get that done. If the Leaf can't make it 66 miles reliably, it may make a lot more sense to do the PHEV conversion on our Prius to cover our local driving and improve gas mileage on the 66 mile trips.

I would not risk being an early adopter and needing to do this route. If you wanted the car for all your other driving and used the second car to make this trip that might make sense. Eventually the infrastructure will probably have an level 3 charger along the route and that would open up the route for use with your leaf.

This is yet another example of why the 3.3 kw charger will be restrictive, what if you even drive 50 total freeway miles and charge at work and need to leave work early, well you would most likely be fine with 6.6 kw charging but mot 3.3 kw. It boggles my mind that Nissan would use such a small charger based on the low range of the vehicle.

For commuting only, has anyopne looked at making an insulated barrier to block off the back seat and cargo area so there is less to heat/cool?
Like a taxi cab but nicer. It could be hinged to fold up and put away when there is more than two in the vehicle.
Thoughts?

The heated seats will do a great job to more efficiently keep the driver/passenger warm ( I assume they are only for the front seats ). That plus a low amount of convential heat should do the trick. I think I read somewhere the steering wheel is heated too :) ... true ?

garygid said:
Yes, heated seat(s) and a heated steering wheel were mentioned, but it remains to be seen what is actually produced.

Yes - the idea IIRC is that you feel warmer even with a lower temperature setting.

Heating is very important here in Seattle, esp. in summer :cry:

jgrode1 said:
For commuting only, has anyopne looked at making an insulated barrier to block off the back seat and cargo area so there is less to heat/cool?
Like a taxi cab but nicer. It could be hinged to fold up and put away when there is more than two in the vehicle.
Thoughts?

I just got my windows tinted and there is a new clear film that is Ceramic and blocks 85% of IR. In AZ heat will be my concern and I plan to do all my windows so I can cut down on the use of AC. (Johnson window film company)

LakeLeaf said:
It would be nice if the Leaf battery pack had a plug where you could throw an extra battery pack in the trunk and plug it into the rest of the pack.

You might buy the 50 mile pack for those occasional longer trips, or maybe the 20 mile pack if you need just a touch of extra range.

"throw" ?

The Leaf 100-mile Leaf battery pack is said to weigh 660 lbs. That would make your 50-mile battery ~330 lbs and the 20-mile battery ~130 lbs - more than I could lift into the trunk by myself.

LEAFer said:
The heated seats will do a great job to more efficiently keep the driver/passenger warm ( I assume they are only for the front seats ). That plus a low amount of convential heat should do the trick. I think I read somewhere the steering wheel is heated too :) ... true ?

Hmm, over here (Norway) the real problem in winter is not keeping the passengers warm but keeping ice from forming on the windshield, both inside and outside. Heated seats or steering wheel will not help there :)

A heated windshield would though. If one is not provided, the heater will be used all the time...

BTW, I hate heated seats, have them but never use them. Don't like the feeling at all.

Yodrak said:
LakeLeaf said:
"throw" ?

The Leaf 100-mile Leaf battery pack is said to weigh 660 lbs. That would make your 50-mile battery ~330 lbs and the 20-mile battery ~130 lbs - more than I could lift into the trunk by myself.

It's quite heavy for a 24kWh battery, that is for sure. The Tesla ~92kWh 300-mile pack will probably weigh in at a little over 1000 lbs...(cell weight ~815 lbs)

jkirkebo said:
It's quite heavy for a 24kWh battery, that is for sure. The Tesla ~92kWh 300-mile pack will probably weigh in at a little over 1000 lbs...(cell weight ~815 lbs)

Vaporware is always lighter :twisted:

Anyway, the Roadster 52kwh battery weighs in at 900 lb.

BTW, Leaf battery weighs 480 pounds, not 660.

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/7714

The pack weighs 480 lb (218 kg) including the control module and is rated at 24 kW·h total capacity, with an energy density for the cells of 140 W·h/kg, indicating a weight for the cells alone of about 378 lb (171 kg).

Back