Do we really need level 2 public charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why not; I think the note should be used in the opposite case, if the owner does not want his/her LEAF to be unplugged.

If the lights are all on, the car does not need any more charge, therefore, it should implied permission to unplug.

amtoro said:
If the lights are all on, the car does not need any more charge, therefore, it should implied permission to unplug.
+1. I really don't understand why some folks get so sensitive about their cars. However, out of respect for such people, who might otherwise be fine individuals, I will refrain from unplugging without express permission. When others' property is involved, it is always best to err on the side of caution.

abasile said:
amtoro said:
+1. I really don't understand why some folks get so sensitive about their cars. However, out of respect for such people, who might otherwise be fine individuals, I will refrain from unplugging without express permission. When others' property is involved, it is always best to err on the side of caution.
-1. You are effectively disabling the charging station. Look at the LAX stations - you could be down a spot for a week or two.

abasile said:
Also, I would add that even as battery technology improves, costs drop, and greater range becomes possible, public charging (L1,L2,L3) will continue to have great value. In 2018 or so, rather than purchasing a 200 mile range BEV for about $30K, many buyers might prefer to buy the same car for $22K with 100 miles of range, or perhaps spend even less on a used 2011 LEAF. That could especially apply to families with multiple cars.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to say the same thing. I definitely think range will continue to increase with the newer models. However, the older models will be losing more range as they age. I also look at Tesla to see how they will be offering a vehicle (The Model-S) with 3 different battery configurations. I would not be at all surprised to see this in other vehicles in the future. For example, imagine if you could buy a Leaf with these hypothetical choices:
  • 50 miles for $25,000
  • 100 miles for $33,000
  • 150 miles for $40,000
Which would you buy? I'd love to see some compiled statistics on this. Believe it or not, I would have bought the low-end version. (after rebate that would be like $17,500) With my 10-mile per day round-trip commute, that'd still leave 40 miles left over. If there was a good network of L2 chargers available, such a vehicle would seem a lot more attractive.

I also wanted to say one more thing. For the time being, I suggest we always use the L2 chargers available even if you don't need one. I used my first public charger at a McDonald's a few days ago. I didn't need the charge. But I wanted people to see a vehicle hooked up and using it. That would make the employees and customers aware that there are EVs out there and the charging station will get used. Now, as EVs become more popular then I'd suggest leaving the stations to the people who actually need them. But I just hate to see a lone station installed somewhere and never get used and the owner of the property might decide to remove it.

Back