EVSE Extender Cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
The reach of my Leaf's portable EVSE is more than enough to reach the Leaf, but probably not the Prius PHEV my housemate is about to lease.

So go to the local hardware store and buy yourself a nice extension cord.

QueenBee said:
LeftieBiker said:
The reach of my Leaf's portable EVSE is more than enough to reach the Leaf, but probably not the Prius PHEV my housemate is about to lease.

Helpful posts like this are why I generally filter you. Think "the other end of the EVSE." And, to answer Tony's next question in advance: "Because I want to keep the rest of the EVSE inside the garage." I think I'll just watch for a post from Ingineer...

What's wrong with this one that was posted earlier?

http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each additional 10 feet is $25.00

Lasareath said:
What's wrong with this one that was posted earlier?

http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each additional 10 feet is $25.00

Nothing is wrong with it, aside from being a bit pricey. I'm also concerned it might not be weatherproof enough to just connect and leave outside. People who make things usually have access to wholesale pricing, and I was hoping Ingineer might be interested in making a good, weatherproof cord for $200-$250. After that I was answering Tony's questions.

LeftieBiker said:
QueenBee said:
LeftieBiker said:

Helpful posts like this are why I generally filter you. Think "the other end of the EVSE." And, to answer Tony's next question in advance: "Because I want to keep the rest of the EVSE inside the garage." I think I'll just watch for a post from Ingineer...

Don't hold your breath. I'm guessing he's not going to see any ways that he can innovate on the existing options.

Sounds like you are just being stubborn and have decided on the solution you want writing off the simpler and cheaper solutions.

Why not just use the EVSE that comes with the Prius?

LeftieBiker said:
QueenBee said:
LeftieBiker said:

1. Best option is to get an electrician to put an outlet closer to where the 2nd vehicle will charge

2. If for some reason you can't or won't take the best route the next best option is to extend the cable from the 120v side of the cords not the J1772 end. If that puts the box of the EVSE outside look into putting that into a weatherproof box or something.

1. Best option is to get an electrician to put an outlet closer to where the 2nd vehicle will charge

2. If for some reason you can't or won't take the best route the next best option is to extend the cable from the 120v side of the cords not the J1772 end. If that puts the box of the EVSE outside look into putting that into a weatherproof box or something.

That "or something" would probably have to be a large safe - I don't want it stolen. Also, the EVSE is already at the end of a heavy duty extension cord inside the garage. Look, let's try to just assume that cost is a factor, and that getting 240 volts to the garage is too expensive. That leaves either an EVSE extender or maybe someone sells me their outgrown L-1 outdoor charging station (no Blinks, please!) so I can afford to just install that on the outside of the garage, between the two cars. I'll pay $300 for one of those, in perfect condition. But I'd rather not do the Spanish Inquisition sketch. ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
That "or something" would probably have to be a large safe - I don't want it stolen.
So now it has to be lockable, too? And it has to be less than $300? Why do the goalposts keep on moving?

How long exactly does your EVSE need to reach? Give us the full picture.

drees said:
LeftieBiker said:
That "or something" would probably have to be a large safe - I don't want it stolen.
So now it has to be lockable, too? And it has to be less than $300? Why do the goalposts keep on moving?

How long exactly does your EVSE need to reach? Give us the full picture.

No, it doesn't have to be lockable, as I doubt anyone would even think to try to disconnect part of the EVSE and steal it, with the rest inside the garage and the door closed. As for the goalpost on price moving, I had initially asked about $200-$250. I may well have to buy the $300 extender, but I'm not doing so without first making sure it's weather-proof, and without exploring other options, like a good used L-1 mounted EVSE or a unit made by Ingineer. The extender should be about 10'.

I don't know what's gotten into some of you, but from now on I won't respond to troll posts.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't know what's gotten into some of you, but from now on I won't respond to troll posts.
I think that everyone has already been more than helpful. Sorry you think otherwise.

BTW, with the J1772 extension you still have a "weather proof" issue. The plug/receptacle isn't weather proof just sitting there on the ground. Maybe you can set it on a raised brick under a bucket with cutouts for the cable or something. But unless you have those lying around, it will probably cost you $2-3 to buy a brick and bucket at Walmart.

drees said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think that everyone has already been more than helpful. Sorry you think otherwise.

BTW, with the J1772 extension you still have a "weather proof" issue. The plug/receptacle isn't weather proof just sitting there on the ground. Maybe you can set it on a raised brick under a bucket with cutouts for the cable or something. But unless you have those lying around, it will probably cost you $2-3 to buy a brick and bucket at Walmart.

Good idea, about $5 but you'll have to make the cut outs for the cord yourself:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Homer-Bucket-5-Gal-Orange-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Argee-Homer-5-Gallon-Bucket-Lid-RG5503/100037401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://m.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-2-in-x-8-in-Red-Concrete-Brick-100003009/100321940/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have chain so you can secure the bucket so it doesn't get stolen: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-x-10-ft-Zinc-Plated-Straight-Link-Chain-55102/202048205/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi LeftieBiker,

If I understood your issue correctly, I think what I did for my own situation may be of some help/inspiration to you.

See this post.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13424&p=326003#p326003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Cost < $50

sitech said:
Hi LeftieBiker,

If I understood your issue correctly, I think what I did for my own situation may be of some help/inspiration to you.

See this post.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13424&p=326003#p326003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Cost < $50

The Clipper Creek EVSE only cost you $50? Or are you talking about the extension cord alone? BTW, the photos don't show up for me. Anyway, since I'll be charging two cars with one EVSE, what I need is to either be able to reach both with an extension on my Leaf EVSE, or install an L-1 outdoor station on the corner of the garage where it can reach both. I can add a 120 volt circuit for an L-1 EVSE, but not 240. The garage is supplied with 120 volts only.

LeftieBiker said:
The Clipper Creek EVSE only cost you $50?

The Clipper Creek LCS-25 is about $550.

I'll be charging two cars with one EVSE, what I need is to either be able to reach both with an extension on my Leaf EVSE, or install an L-1 outdoor station on the corner of the garage where it can reach both. I can add a 120 volt circuit for an L-1 EVSE, but not 240. The garage is supplied with 120 volts only.

There's a clever OpenEVSE that can charge two cars at once. It doesn't sound like you would be able to handle that project, but it would be relatively cheap.

There aren't any "waterproof" J1772 connectors. It doesn't exist.

The TucsonEV "J1772 extension" uses the Dostar J1772 that I'm very familiar with. The pins are reasonably sealed on the latest version. I add several drainage holes:

IMG_2107.jpg

Seals around all five pins:

IMG_2143.jpg

Big orange silicone seal around the wires where they connect to the pins:

IMG_2127.jpg

Tesla UMC with J1772:

IMG_2144.jpg

If the $300 extender would have to be removed and replaced often to avoid getting the connection wet, I'd be better off with an L-1 outdoor station. I have a request for a good used one in the commercial section of this site. Hopefully someone has upgraded to L-2 or maybe wants to but can't quite afford it. (Believe it or not, there are people leasing Leafs who don't also own Teslas!) Thanks.

Is the whole problem with 'extension' leads the same, whether they are mains extensions or J1772 - that is; don't you need thermal monitoring of the plugs and sockets, in case of a fault? One single lead always means the charging station one end monitors its temperature, and the car monitors its socket. Extensions always mean some connection is not thermally monitored (unless it is a very clever lead that can turn itself off).

LeftieBiker said:
I'd be better off with an L-1 outdoor station. I have a request for a good used one in the commercial section of this site. Hopefully someone has upgraded to L-2 or maybe wants to but can't quite afford it.

I'm still confused if an external L1 EVSE would work for you why do you need an extension cord for your existing EVSE?

LeftieBiker said:
If the $300 extender would have to be removed and replaced often to avoid getting the connection wet, I'd be better off with an L-1 outdoor station. I have a request for a good used one in the commercial section of this site. Hopefully someone has upgraded to L-2 or maybe wants to but can't quite afford it. (Believe it or not, there are people leasing Leafs who don't also own Teslas!) Thanks.

Very few of the folks using the Tesla UMC that I modify for J1772 actually use it on a Tesla. Why would they? If they have a Tesla car, then the Model S and Roadster both already have their own 40 amp unit in the trunk with their respective plug for the car.

I honestly am having a hard time understanding your needs. Why would you think that a "$300 extender" would need to be removed and replaced? I don't see where anybody mentioned anything about that. Why would you then think that an L-1 "outdoor" station is apparently waterproof? It's not, by the way.

Any of the J1772 handles will work fine in the rain / wet conditions, including the $300 extension J1772 sold by TucsonEV.

The "black box" part of any portable EVSE should be water resistant, however I would still protect it from standing water and heavy rain.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

donald said:
Is the whole problem with 'extension' leads the same, whether they are mains extensions or J1772 - that is; don't you need thermal monitoring of the plugs and sockets, in case of a fault? One single lead always means the charging station one end monitors its temperature, and the car monitors its socket. Extensions always mean some connection is not thermally monitored (unless it is a very clever lead that can turn itself off).

The only car that I'm familiar with that has thermal monitoring of the socket is the Honda Fit EV.

No "Type 1" or J1772 plug has thermal monitoring. It's not even part of the SAE J1772 standard.

There aren't any "waterproof" J1772 connectors. It doesn't exist

This is why I decided against the extender. Unless you meant "nothing is waterproof" in which case I mean "weather proof." If you don't understand at this point why I can't reach two cars in different parking spots with the current EVSE, I give up.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Ingineer.

Back