Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of it depends on where you were in the tolerance range at the point when the reprogram was done... Also, the BMS algorithm is very slow and requires a good deal of time to recalibrate and update itself...

kolmstead said:
I still can't comprehend why it took three days of driving before I saw any change whatsoever. Normal commutes; 38 miles, full recharge every night.

Could Nissan program an "Artificial Full Regen" in cold temps and full battery charge, just so that the braking system's wear and tear is reduced? For example, when windmill turbines rotate too fast during very windy days, they produce beyond allowable electricity to feed the grid so there is a device attached to windmills that just burns up the additional electricity on such very windy days OR Could they just allow the inverter to soak up full regen but divert power away from drive train battery pack. Nissan could also allow unwanted regen electricity to heat the car, which most of us avoid using to preserve range. Regen is such a valuable resource in LEAF, why is Nissan just wasting it by reducing it in cold weather? Don't they have common sense engineers or they all went over to Tesla?

It is a great idea.
In winter it could divert a least up to 6KW in the heating system. It may be expensive to have a 30KW resistance to use the full regen but up to 6KW should be feasible with just software changes as all the hardware is already there.
Currently it wont regen at all even if the heating system is using 6KW when the battery is bellow -10C (14F).

Doing that would improve breaking and breaks life and also allow for a warmer interior without losing more range.

tivollix said:
It is a great idea.
Yeah, probably not all that easy to implement and still keep the braking experience as smooth (or as jerky, hah!) as it is now. It sure would be nice especially in eco mode to allow the heater to suck down 6 kW of juice when coming to a stop.

All I simply want is the available regen to not be tapered off at higher speeds.

If the car allows 20 kW regen at 20 mph, why only allow 10 kW regen at 55 mph?

Or even worse, if the car allowes 10 kW regen at 20 mph, why allow basically no regen at 55 mph?

It really catches you off-guard at times and really kills efficiency going down a slight hill at 45 mph on a nearly full battery.

drees said:
...All I simply want is the available regen to not be tapered off at higher speeds.

If the car allows 20 kW regen at 20 mph, why only allow 10 kW regen at 55 mph?

Or even worse, if the car allowes 10 kW regen at 20 mph, why allow basically no regen at 55 mph?

It really catches you off-guard at times and really kills efficiency going down a slight hill at 45 mph on a nearly full battery.
Yes! This behavior of the car is puzzling and annoying.

EVerlasting said:
Could Nissan program an "Artificial Full Regen" in cold temps and full battery charge, just so that the braking system's wear and tear is reduced? For example, when windmill turbines rotate too fast during very windy days, they produce beyond allowable electricity to feed the grid so there is a device attached to windmills that just burns up the additional electricity on such very windy days OR Could they just allow the inverter to soak up full regen but divert power away from drive train battery pack. Nissan could also allow unwanted regen electricity to heat the car, which most of us avoid using to preserve range. Regen is such a valuable resource in LEAF, why is Nissan just wasting it by reducing it in cold weather? Don't they have common sense engineers or they all went over to Tesla?
Aside: Volt has a scenerio like this:

02-01-2012 Chevrolet Customer Svc - GM-Volt post
You have come across a feature of the vehicle which protects the battery from overcharging. Under certain circumstances, the electric motors will resist one another to provide braking in addition to the friction brakes on the vehicle. In order to meet emission requirements, the Volt does not spin the engine, but uses clutch 2 in the drive unit to link both motors. When the vehicle is at low speeds, clutch 2 requires that the resultant planetary gearset speeds increase to compensate. You will hear the electric motors at higher speeds, which is certainly a change from their normally silent operation.

The Volt was validated using the steepest, longest descent in the nation, Pike's Peak. With a full battery, the volt can descend Pike's Peak without issue with a combination of friction brakes and the electric motors. This is part of the Voltec propulsion system which has many more delighting features waiting for you to discover.
Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

Hi. any new updates or advice on P3227? I've got to take my car in for my annual state safety inspection (free at my dealer) and get my tires rotated. My dealer just sent me a postcard saying I have one open service campaign. while I just called them to inquire, they couldn't tell me which campaign was open (some excuse about their computers being down...). I suspect it is the P3227 as I have a 2012 and I haven't had that one done.

My situation. I live in the cold suburbs of NH. I have 12 capacity bars -showing about 94% on leaf spy. I do like my regen - the first mile of my short 7-mile morning commute is downhill - so I don't really want to lose that. I very rarely push the car to limits - only have hit LBW three times in 2 years.

suggestions? should I get P3227 or avoid it?

I had this done at the Dealer in Santa Barbara in January of 2014 to my 2011 LEAF.. I then had to move to Oregon. And I still to this day can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash. I am about to Force Nissan to take the Car back as i now have a Non Useable Car here in Oregon.. I have no Nissan Dealer within 300 Miles. And since i Followed the Warranty recommendation I have lost 50% of my Range just because of the Patch.. I used to Love my LEAF.. Now I'm Pissed at Nissan..

HELP...

Could they? Yes.
Will they? Highly unlikely. They have not even addressed some of the much simpler to implement software issues that have existed for four years...

EVerlasting said:
Could Nissan program an "Artificial Full Regen" in cold temps and full battery charge, just so that the braking system's wear and tear is reduced?

thew said:
I had this done at the Dealer in Santa Barbara in January of 2014 to my 2011 LEAF.. I then had to move to Oregon. And I still to this day can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash. I am about to Force Nissan to take the Car back as i now have a Non Useable Car here in Oregon.. I have no Nissan Dealer within 300 Miles. And since i Followed the Warranty recommendation I have lost 50% of my Range just because of the Patch.. I used to Love my LEAF.. Now I'm Pissed at Nissan..

HELP...

no you didnt

thew said:
.. can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash. ... I have lost 50% of my Range just because of the Patch
You probably have more range left in the car - it's highly unlikely that you actually lost 50% of your range, that would mean that you used to be able to drive 100 miles/charge.

Do you have LEAFspy or a similar tool?

What's your mi/kWh and when you get to 50 miles, how many battery bars do you have left?

I believe you have something else going on... I have heard of no other reports of the P3227 update reducing range... My car actually gained a little range after the update but settled back to about where it had been prior to the update in about a month... Now, if you never had the much earlier update done that recalibrated the fuel bars, it would now appear as if you have less range as they buried about a bar and half below no bars to add a reserve, but the actual total range is about the same... I also find it hard to believe that you ever had an actual 100 mile range (a 50% loss to 50 miles)... Only something like Leaf Spy or Leaf DD will give you the full and true story...

thew said:
I had this done at the Dealer in Santa Barbara in January of 2014 to my 2011 LEAF.. I then had to move to Oregon. And I still to this day can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash.

In cold climate you may lose up to 10% range with the update in case the BMS was over optimistic.
The P3227 fixes that and what you see is a decreased range. My car went from 95% capacity to 86% in 6 months in Canada...
It is rare but it can happen, I have seen it with mine.

I have also lost over 10% in real range and AHr measured by LeafSpy soon after p3227 update :-/

From 67AHr(at 28000km) to 60AHr(at 36000km) in a few month. Live in cold climate.

Did the old software "overload" my battery?!

LeafSwe said:
I have also lost over 10% in real range and AHr measured by LeafSpy soon after p3227 update :-/

From 67AHr(at 28000km) to 60AHr(at 36000km) in a few month. Live in cold climate.

Nope, my 2011 Leaf did the exact same thing after the update too. Almost exactly 10% - and I noticed that when DCQC under 50% SOC the Leaf doesn't stop charging at 80% anymore. I think this update was part of their larger plan to keep the batteries in the "sweet spot" all the time...

You can go back earlier in this thread and read all about it but briefly, the old BMS software did a marginal job of temperature compensation and could have an error of as much as plus and minus 10 percent. The new software has better temperature compensation and an error of plus 0 and minus 5 percent. Depending on where you fell in the tolerance range when the update was done, you could see no difference, gain some range, or loose some range... But in any case, the difference is not going to be dramatic. The takeaway is that the new BMS software is more accurate (theoretically)...

LeafSwe said:

DaveinOlyWA said:
thew said:

HELP...

no you didnt

Yes I did.. Actually it was done by the Oxnard Nissan as SB nissian's Computer was not working to do the Flash. But it was done..

drees said:
thew said:
.. can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash. ... I have lost 50% of my Range just because of the Patch
You probably have more range left in the car - it's highly unlikely that you actually lost 50% of your range, that would mean that you used to be able to drive 100 miles/charge.

Do you have LEAFspy or a similar tool?

What's your mi/kWh and when you get to 50 miles, how many battery bars do you have left?

I did have 100 miles Range. I used to regularly Drive From Santa Barbara Over San Marcus PAss (154) to Solvang.. Run around the Valley then back over the Pass.. All told I would drive about 84 miles and have about 7 miles left on the GOM when I pulled into my garage. Until the Re flash I was averaging over 80 Plus closer to 90 Miles without Charge without fail.

I to believe I have more in the pack then the GOM is telling me.. But its ridicules that Nissan would apply the 2013 Algorithm to my Leaf that did not need it .. and now if i am to belive the car I only have 50 Miles Rang on the GOM with Full charge and Full bars.

No LeafSpy or any thing else to monitor the Pack.. Just the GOM and the Idiot Gauges in the Dash

TomT said:
I believe you have something else going on... I have heard of no other reports of the P3227 update reducing range... My car actually gained a little range after the update but settled back to about where it had been prior to the update in about a month... Now, if you never had the much earlier update done that recalibrated the fuel bars, it would now appear as if you have less range as they buried about a bar and half below no bars to add a reserve, but the actual total range is about the same... I also find it hard to believe that you ever had an actual 100 mile range (a 50% loss to 50 miles)... Only something like Leaf Spy or Leaf DD will give you the full and true story...

thew said:
I had this done at the Dealer in Santa Barbara in January of 2014 to my 2011 LEAF.. I then had to move to Oregon. And I still to this day can only get 50 Miles Range from the LEAF since they did this Stupid Re flash.

MY Car had a Very good healthy Pack. Less than 8000 miles on the 2011 LEAF when it had the Flash. My Pack had no Degradation at all.. All full bars etc.. Before the Patch, Now its still says the Battery is healthy but the Algorithm will only Charge the GOM to 50 Miles.. Regen is also almost non exsistant now.. Like others here I used to get lots of Regin at 50 mph and slower .. Now I cannot get much even if the pack is low.

Also, yes its had Every Patch /Update that Nissan needed or wanted to do.
And you can find my range hard to believe all you want but I did Regularly drive it that 90 Plus mile Trip with out charge with out Fail and without Turtle Mode.. But I have been driving EVs since early 2000.. I know how to get the most range out of it.. Assuming the GOM is sort of Accurate..

tivollix said:
In cold climate you may lose up to 10% range with the update in case the BMS was over optimistic.
The P3227 fixes that and what you see is a decreased range. My car went from 95% capacity to 86% in 6 months in Canada...
It is rare but it can happen, I have seen it with mine.

So far it has not been in a cold Climate..

Back