Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
This seems to confirm the speculation I made last year that the degradation was very exaggerated by bad programming in the LBC (Battery Controller). Many people disagreed with me on this, claiming that if the range wasn't there, then the pack must be degraded. I contended that the LBC was artificially limiting the use of the slightly degraded pack in a way that drastically reduced range over the actual degradation.

Let's hope I am indeed correct and that this restores some lost autonomy in people's LEAFs with some degradation.
I sure wish Nissan would confirm or deny this (especially about the range) in some general way. It wouldn't exactly be revealing state secrets to let us know.

Why would you even remotely expect them to be suddenly forthcoming now?

Stoaty said:
I sure wish Nissan would confirm or deny this (especially about the range) in some general way. It wouldn't exactly be revealing state secrets to let us know.

Nope, no obvious changes of any kind. But then, I didn't expect there would be since those are both a different part of the car than that which the update addresses...

adspguy said:
Did the update happen to do anything like get rid of the ok at startup or add the battery % display?

TomT said:

Stoaty said:
Note that I used the word wish, not expect. :eek:

Good point! :lol:

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
Stoaty said:
Note that I used the word wish, not expect. :eek:

What if this update (P3227, REPROG NTB13-O61I0) chips off some of that non-accessible part of the battery kWs to keep us all happier. I just lost my 1st bar today (2 years, 37,800 miles) and from what I've read here, if I get the update it may bring the capacity back to the coveted 12 bars. But as someone also mentioned it will make it more difficult to make a claim later when I would have lost a 2nd bar, because I will again lose the first bar first. Which postpones the claim for another 2 years into the future.

And by then Nissan will be offering replacement with double/triple-density Li-Sulfur or Li-Air cells, and who can say 'no' to that?! Claim averted. Ha!

Guess I have no choice. I like to see 12 capacities more than anything else. Calling NorthBay Nissan t'morrow.

TomT said:
Good point! :lol:
Speaking of wishful thinking, I sure with that Phil had worded his post differently. There are many adjectives in there, which could stir up another unnecessary controversy.

ILETRIC said:
What if this update (P3227, REPROG NTB13-O61I0) chips off some of that non-accessible part of the battery kWs to keep us all happier.
Anything is possible, and there is not much data to the contrary. That said, I would put this in the 'unlikely' category. Sorry to hear about your capacity gauge. Please report back what NTB13-O61I0 will do for you.

I'm thinking that, in my case, it might be because my two bar loss at 220 Gids is on the low end of the bar loss curve compared to a number of others... If it shuffled the curve a little, that might account for the 11th bar returning... I don't know what might account for the 10 more Gids at 80% charge or, for that matter, if they will even remain after the system stabilizes...

surfingslovak said:
Anything is possible, and there is not much data to the contrary. That said, I would put this in the 'unlikely' category. Sorry to hear about your capacity gauge. Please report back what NTB13-O61I0 will do for you.

ILETRIC said:
What if this update (P3227, REPROG NTB13-O61I0) chips off some of that non-accessible part of the battery kWs to keep us all happier. I just lost my 1st bar today (2 years, 37,800 miles) and from what I've read here, if I get the update it may bring the capacity back to the coveted 12 bars. But as someone also mentioned it will make it more difficult to make a claim later when I would have lost a 2nd bar, because I will again lose the first bar first. Which postpones the claim for another 2 years into the future.
Do you really think they'd honor the battery replacement warranty of an 8-bar Leaf if it didn't have the software update applied? Of course not -- they'll first update the software so it shows the correct level, and then see if it's still at 8 bars.

I don't share the belief that this update will change the actual range of the vehicle. That's a big stretch from the stated reason for the firmware update, which is to make the too pessimistic capacity gauge read more accurately.

I would like to range test one or more cars after July 15, which have 1 or more lost bars. We will drive the cars to turtle, then get the new firmware, and drive it again. Back to back.

If your car meets this criteria in Southern California, consider holding off on the upgrade until we can provide these tests.

Thanks,

Tony

Realizing that it is too early to expect a complete plan (even from you, an extraordinary planner!), what are you envisioning, Tony? Range test one weekend, firmware update during the week and another range test the following weekend? If it takes an hour or two for the update, plus recharging time, the whole test won't fit in one day...

But I think it's a GREAT idea. It seems clear to me that we need to understand just what Nissan is going to do to our cars.

-Karl

Does this software update give us any other feature from the 2013 model? I was wondering if we also get rid of the 'OK' button press?

phxsmiley said:
Does this software update give us any other feature from the 2013 model? I was wondering if we also get rid of the 'OK' button press?
It's unclear what, if anything, the software update does beyond changing the capacity gauge. Based on the reports echoed here and elsewhere so far, the OK button is not covered by the update. Sorry to disappoint, perhaps there is a silver lining in there somewhere.

kolmstead said:
Realizing that it is too early to expect a complete plan (even from you, an extraordinary planner!), what are you envisioning, Tony? Range test one weekend, firmware update during the week and another range test the following weekend? If it takes an hour or two for the update, plus recharging time, the whole test won't fit in one day...

But I think it's a GREAT idea. It seems clear to me that we need to understand just what Nissan is going to do to our cars.

-Karl

Well, I'm available during the day, so the car could be driven in the morning, then a late morning or later firmware at the dealer, then charge the car overnight, and do it again the following morning.

That way, the car will have the same overnight charge and rest period for balancing both days. Doing tests in the morning all but guarantee the same temperature both days in SoCal.

I'll be gone for the BC2BC rally though July 7 and Teslive on July 12-14. I'll be doing a 5 panelist workshop called Road Trip 101 at Teslive (near the Tesla factory in Milpitas, CA).

So, after July 14.

I cannot stand looking at my fully charged gauge with one tooth missing. So, I'm doing this update as soon as I can get in. The thing is...weather it fixes anything in terms of GIDs or range, I have no power to affect the outcome one way or the other. So, even if the range fix is imaginary or in fact just visual/esthetic, that's fine with me.

And if I gain a mile or two, or lose some of the miles below three blinking lines on GOM, so be it. I do try not to get that low to begin with, and a full mouth of range bars is a fix enough for me. I'm in NorCal, by the way.

iluvmacs said:
Do you really think they'd honor the battery replacement warranty of an 8-bar Leaf if it didn't have the software update applied? Of course not -- they'll first update the software so it shows the correct level, and then see if it's still at 8 bars.
Talk about a biased reaction! You are directly contradicting what their announcement explicitly said.

Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF
If your vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge is already displaying eight (8) or fewer bars of capacity prior to the above referenced software update (and within the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first), your Nissan dealer will verify this condition and arrange for the repair or replacement of the lithium-ion battery in accordance with the terms of the warranty.
Ray

Back