Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. From plus or minus 10 percent to plus 0 and minus 4 percent plus temperature compensation... I'm thinking that somehow the added temperature compensation is what has mucked with the regen...

Valdemar said:
^^^ To be fair, they only promised improvement for the battery capacity meter ;)

yes mine is stuck that way to Regen never does anything on the screen. but if i start at 60 GOM and go down hill ill get up to 98ish. but the gauge does not show the regen

planet4ever said:
What am I missing in that picture Valdemar posted? What does this have to do with P3227, unless he's gloating that he doesn't have it? 11 capacity bars at 40K; 3 regen circles at 100%. The only bad news looks like 6 temp bars in November. Maybe after a QC? Unless he's complaining about the GOM - and all he'd get from me is a snort if that's it.

Ray

I can't figure out what he's alluding to either, and have brought my manuals in with me today so I can remind myself.

My understanding of the bubbles "double lit" like that means there is the "potential" for regenerative braking at some point (while the same driving circumstances exist), not that the same level of regenerative braking can be achieved. Actual regeneration is surely indicated by the white dot inside that double circle?

When my car is fully charged, I see the same thing in city driving, but I couldn't hope to achieve more than one white dot of regeneration on a fully charged battery within the first mile or so, even with my pack degradation. When I get my car up to highway speeds; have bled off a little charge; and am cruising, I typically only see one maybe two circles of "potential" regeneration until I actually start to slow the car, when most of the bubbles (if not all, depending on the severity of the slowing) indicated the "potential" is there.

Are those of you with P3227 saying that you never see more than one bubble of potential (never mind actual regeneration) until there is quite a bit of pack depletion? Because that's the impression I've been getting. Color me...confused.

I don't see more than one bubble until I am down to about 85% SOC, nothing above about 90%... As well, less at much lower SOCs than prior to P3227, particularly at lower battery temperatures...

mwalsh said:
Are those of you with P3227 saying that you never see more than one bubble of potential (never mind actual regeneration) until there is quite a bit of pack depletion? Because that's the impression I've been getting. Color me...confused.

TomT said:
Correct. From plus or minus 10 percent to plus 0 and minus 4 percent plus temperature compensation... I'm thinking that somehow the added temperature compensation is what has mucked with the regen...
My hypothesis is that Nissan adapted software from the 2013 model for the update. And we know from numerous reports of 2013 drivers with meters that the battery capacity numbers report strangely. If that was the case, the regen parameters used in the 2013s don't work properly with 2011/2012 model data.

Just guessing, of course.

temperatures are seeming to play more havoc on the regen gauge than SOC.

i have seen no regen at all with as little as 7 CBs but the temperature had dropped from the mid 40's when I parked it at 8 PM to the mid 20's when I left work at 12:30 AM.

and and also had 2 regen circle available with all 12 CBs (done after a 15 minute preheat) BUT when trying to regen, only could get a sliver. has anyone else seen that?

mwalsh said:

Real life example - using my LeafDD

Yesterday with:
53% SOC, battery temp of 55 Degrees F, going downhill on highway at 65 MPH I had one available regen bubble. Neither coasting or lightly applying the brake would fill the bubble, although the LeafDD did show a tiny smidge of regen when I applied the brake pedal.

This is absurd. 53% SOC! I was finally able to get all my regen bubbles to show (and light up) at 28% SOC yesterday.

Before P3227, I had all regen bubbles (and could fill them) at 80% SOC.

Worst. Update. Ever.

ampitupco said:
mwalsh said:

Real life example - using my LeafDD

Yesterday with:
53% SOC, battery temp of 55 Degrees F, going downhill on highway at 65 MPH I had one available regen bubble. Neither coasting or lightly applying the brake would fill the bubble, although the LeafDD did show a tiny smidge of regen when I applied the brake pedal.

This is absurd. 53% SOC! I was finally able to get all my regen bubbles to show (and light up) at 28% SOC yesterday.

Before P3227, I had all regen bubbles (and could fill them) at 80% SOC.

Worst. Update. Ever.

let me guess?? sudden drop in temps? significantly colder today than yesterday??

Yeah, I've seen similar results on my Lincomatic under similar conditions with one day being markedly cooler than the previous...

ampitupco said:

ampitupco said:
Yesterday, I noticed that I had all regen bubbles at 40 Gids. Whoopee. OAT was about 20ºF (-7ºC), battery was at 12.5ºC
Worst. Update. Ever.
Yes.
86q.gif

As I feared I now have very little to no regen in real cold.

Denver has been in a cold snap the last few days (-10F --> 10F). I've always changed to 80% (205 GID for me) and It's all I could do to make it to work and back ~25 miles RT.

Two days ago, it was snowing and roads were snow packed. Temps in single digits F, but I don't know what my battery temp was since the LeafDD doesn't report lower than 0C (two temp bars). Best I could do was 1.9 mi/kWh, since I needed every bit of defrost I could muster to keep the windows clear. The real problem is that there is no regen even at low SOC. One or two regen bubbles show, but never fill. In the past, I believe regen really help offset the use of the cabin heater.

The last few days have been below 0F in the morning and single digits F in the afternoon, but clear roads. Still no regen to speak of. Doing a bit better at 2.9 mi/kWh - but this is a route that I normally do 6.5 mi/kWh in the summer. :(

How are all those LEAFs in Norway doing? I can't imagine very well (unless the 2013 is a completely different beast).

ampitupco said:
As I feared I now have very little to no regen in real cold.

Denver has been in a cold snap the last few days (-10F --> 10F). I've always changed to 80% (205 GID for me) and It's all I could do to make it to work and back ~25 miles RT.

Two days ago, it was snowing and roads were snow packed. Temps in single digits F, but I don't know what my battery temp was since the LeafDD doesn't report lower than 0C (two temp bars). Best I could do was 1.9 mi/kWh, since I needed every bit of defrost I could muster to keep the windows clear. The real problem is that there is no regen even at low SOC. One or two regen bubbles show, but never fill. In the past, I believe regen really help offset the use of the cabin heater.

The last few days have been below 0F in the morning and single digits F in the afternoon, but clear roads. Still no regen to speak of. Doing a bit better at 2.9 mi/kWh - but this is a route that I normally do 6.5 mi/kWh in the summer. :(

How are all those LEAFs in Norway doing? I can't imagine very well (unless the 2013 is a completely different beast).

yep seeing the same thing here. lucky to get 1-2 circles lit up. and hate to say ti but its likely to get colder for you because we have had temps in the teens which is about 25º below normal and since what we get, you get 2-3 days later means you are likely to see another temperature drop within the next day or two.

Dave et.al. I have not gotten update. Got two phone calls and two emails yesterday to get update. I see nothing wrong with the last update from last year. Should I get or not? Do I have to get it?

From my discussions with other LEAF owners in the UK, it appears that the regen sensor is known for going faulty with a year or two. I can't say how much weather and SOC has on the sensor being glitchy, but a simple change of the sensor should solve the problem if it's not related to the software update.

Hope this helps!

downeykp said:
Dave et.al. I have not gotten update. Got two phone calls and two emails yesterday to get update. I see nothing wrong with the last update from last year. Should I get or not? Do I have to get it?

Had my first year battery check yesterday and declined the update. They said, "no problem, not required, it's voluntary, can get it later if the engineers find out it needs a fix." Still can get 5 regen bubbles.

fudd246 said:
From my discussions with other LEAF owners in the UK, it appears that the regen sensor is known for going faulty with a year or two. I can't say how much weather and SOC has on the sensor being glitchy, but a simple change of the sensor should solve the problem if it's not related to the software update.

Hope this helps!

Are they experiencing same loss of regen after update?

If sensor, is regen still there, just not sensed?

So far all the data I've gathered suggest no correlation between loss of regen and P3227 update. I see the same loss of regen in my log files from last December. Also, this year the loss didn't kick in until over a month after getting the update.

^ I'm not going to chance it. You'll remember that the last update I agreed to killed the BCM in my car, forcing me into a loaner for a week and leaving me unhappy with lower apparent Gid counts once my car was returned.

Back