Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrogen fueling slower than Tesla Supercharger - PriusChat

Big range in fueling times - 10 minutes when no one is there and station is operating normally.

But adding 30 minutes for one fill and 80 minutes for another fill gives you 120 minutes for 3 fill ups - and he can only fill up to 85%.

Now, the person is a bit misguided as it takes about 40 minutes to do a full Supercharge from low SOC to around 80-90%, so the total time would be about the same for 3 fill ups.

But a Tesla would probably have been charging at home instead of having to go to a fueling station...

drees said:
Hydrogen fueling slower than Tesla Supercharger - PriusChat

Big range in fueling times - 10 minutes when no one is there and station is operating normally.

But adding 30 minutes for one fill and 80 minutes for another fill gives you 120 minutes for 3 fill ups - and he can only fill up to 85%.

Now, the person is a bit misguided as it takes about 40 minutes to do a full Supercharge from low SOC to around 80-90%, so the total time would be about the same for 3 fill ups.

But a Tesla would probably have been charging at home instead of having to go to a fueling station...
Tech on the street today (from 5+ years ago) is 10 minutes. News is up a few pages about the 3 minute fills that are beginning to be deployed. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that can refuel their vehicle three times in a row - even to 'only' 85%... :roll:

But at least PriusChat is an unbiased technical resource. :lol:

AndyH said:
Tech on the street today (from 5+ years ago) is 10 minutes. News is up a few pages about the 3 minute fills that are beginning to be deployed. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that can refuel their vehicle three times in a row - even to 'only' 85%... :roll:

I think folks got the jist of the article that you didn't mention... The stations currently can't do back to back 3 or 10 minute fill-ups.

Yes, that's a viable issue if you're not the first car in line, and unlike an electric car, it's the only place to go in your area for hydrogen. Even after my California tax money builds 68 stations, that is sadly not what is going to push hydrogen mainstream. Only people who live or work near a station, and who only want to drive within California, will be interested in the car.

Naturally, I left out the $4 -$11 (according to Toyota) cost per kg of H2 as opposed to free Superchargers and fully charged overnight cars with 10 seconds of effort for just a few dollars in electricity for a couple hundred miles of range.

And no fossil fuels required to produce the energy storage medium, H2.

And no explosion hazard.

And no security force required to protect it.

And no millions of dollars required to build it.

But, it also requires a huge amount of electricity, just like a Supercharger...

drees said:
Thanks. It's good to see actual owner reports. No more comparisons between actual EVs and H2 vaporware in which optimistic assumptions are used for the FCV and pessimistic ones are used for the EV.
drees said:

Actually, that comes to 140 minutes for 3 fill-ups, so about 47 minutes per fill-up.
drees said:
Not with the corrected values, at least in warmer weather. (Tesla charging will slow in cold weather.)

So, what did Hyundai tell him?
Hyundai USA said:
It takes less than 10 minutes to fully fill the Tucson Fuel Cell,...
So they are in the ballpark on a good day, except for the fact that the tank does not "fully fill" in that time. They also did not mention the fact that the station may need time to recover before his fill-up and that many stations only have one pump. They also did not point out that H2 refueling stations are likely to be even more unreliable than CHaDeMo station due to the high level of complexity.

BTW, I wonder how much *additional* electricity it takes to cool the hydrogen gas as it is pumped into the cars for the new stations that can fill on in three minutes on a good day (longer if warmer outside).
drees said:
That's the kind of thing that Hyundai and Toyota fail to mention when they are peddling their new shiny objects. I cannot imagine going backwards from almost-exclusively refueling at home to often sitting in lines to do it at a central refueling stations. How primitive.
AndyH said:
The post was made by a member of PriusChat with nearly 1100 posts who must have believed "unbiased" "technical" "resources" like you, Hyundai and CARB. As a result, he now is dealing with extremely long fueling times for his new environmentally-unfriendly vehicle (when compared with a BEV).

RegGuheert said:
drees said:
Thanks. It's good to see actual owner reports. No more comparisons between actual EVs and H2 vaporware in which optimistic assumptions are used for the FCV and pessimistic ones are used for the EV.
drees said:

Actually, that comes to 140 minutes for 3 fill-ups, so about 47 minutes per fill-up.
drees said:
Not with the corrected values, at least in warmer weather. (Tesla charging will slow in cold weather.)

So, what did Hyundai tell him?
Hyundai USA said:
It takes less than 10 minutes to fully fill the Tucson Fuel Cell,...
So they are in the ballpark on a good day, except for the fact that the tank does not "fully fill" in that time. They also did not mention the fact that the station may need time to recover before his fill-up and that many stations only have one pump. They also did not point out that H2 refueling stations are likely to be even more unreliable than CHaDeMo station due to the high level of complexity.

BTW, I wonder how much *additional* electricity it takes to cool the hydrogen gas as it is pumped into the cars for the new stations that can fill on in three minutes on a good day (longer if warmer outside).
The station at UC Irvine opened 8/31/2006, so it's at least one and maybe two generations behind the state of the art. My understanding is that new stations designed to refuel cars to 10,000 PSI/700 bar store the H2 at 875 bar, specifically to allow for rapid recharging intervals and less need to run the compressor or cooler during refueling. The CARB report I linked to upthread, among other things, describes the steps needed to increase the daily throughput of H2 stations and meet the demand, as well as discussions of the existing stations and their limitations:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/ab8/ab8_report_final_june2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starting on page 29 is a section titled "Evaluation of Current and Projected Hydrogen Fueling Capacity"

From that section (pg. 30. I've added the emphasis):

"Stations in the southern half of the state have an expected average capacity of 150 kg/day, while
those in the northern half have an expected average capacity of 210 kg/day. This is largely due
to the fact that there are numerous small capacity legacy stations in the South Coast, Torrance,
and Los Angeles areas that were built at times when technology was not as mature as it is today

and the expected vehicle fleet much smaller. Additionally, these stations were built when FCEV
and hydrogen fuel station technologies were largely in their demonstration phase. By contrast,
most of the stations planned for northern California are still in the process of construction or
planned for future construction, using newer technology with higher design capacity for a larger
customer base
"

Section VI, "Hydrogen Fuel Station Performance Standards and Technology" starts on page 34 of the report. Here's a part of that:

"There are varying station designs across the state’s current and planned installations. It is not
yet known if these earlier stations will meet customer fueling habits in the future. With the
current numbers of FCEVs on the road, most station operators are concerned primarily with
improving the reliability and maximizing the availability to fuel single, intermittent customers.
Future stations will need to address the needs of multiple customers simultaneously; maximizing
throughput, rather than availability alone, will begin to take more focus. The intermittency of
current operation will quickly become insufficient under current plans for vehicle deployment

Going forward, it will be necessary to analyze and distinguish between customer usage habits at
various stations. ARB proposes three station classifications be considered for the next round of
funding, as detailed in Table 2."

Skipping down a bit:

"The next steps in funding hydrogen fuel stations should combine the need for larger, High Use
Commuter stations with the need for more supply inside the clusters. Therefore, a priority
should be placed on large (500+ kg/day) stations within the five clusters. Outside of the clusters,
the majority of the stations should then follow the Low Use Commuter plan, as they will likely
serve similar customers as the in-cluster stations, but may have fewer vehicle visits on a daily
basis."

From page 37:

B: Higher Capacity Stations

While the largest hydrogen fuel stations should continue to grow in capacity in order to fill the
high daily-use commuter-supporting role, it is also necessary that all hydrogen fuel stations
should eventually become larger to satisfy long-term projections of demand. This can be
achieved through new installation of larger stations or upgrades to the capacity of existing
stations. To balance the near-term costs and demand, today’s funding programs do not yet
require very large station capacities for eligibility since the earliest market demands will be
sufficiently met with today’s typical station capacity. The recently-awarded stations required
a minimum capacity of 100 kg over a main operation time of 12 hours, though nearly all of the
awarded stations were designed to surpass the minimum requirement (the awarded average
capacity was 180 kg per day) [12]. Considering all built and planned stations, the present-day
average capacity is 173 kg. The largest stations have a capacity of 350 kg per day.

Figure 16 shows the breakdown of California’s full historical record of hydrogen fuel station
capacities according to 50-kg increments of station size. As can be seen, the vast majority of
stations have a daily capacity of 200kg or less (e.g., there are 31 stations representing 54% of the
total; these stations have a capacity of 150-200 kg, with an average capacity within this group
of 181 kg.). Combined with the information in Figure 15, it is clear that a steady transition to
higher capacities overall will need to occur in the future in order to provide a familiar retail
experience for the customer. On an energy-equivalent basis, today’s gasoline stations provide 24
times the amount of fuel on average; the largest gasoline stations provide 80 times as much fuel
as the largest hydrogen fuel stations.

And so on, with details.

Oh, here's the data on the UC Irvine fueling station, which was the very first H2 station in SoCal, and the 2006 iteration was its third: http://www.nfcrc.uci.edu/3/ACTIVITIES/PROJECTS/hydrogen/IrvineHydrogenFuelingStation.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As can be seen from the specs,

"25 kg/day design capacity (equivalent to 25 gal/day of gasoline, sufficient to refuel 8 fuel cell vehicles) with room to expand to 50 kg/day"

this station was never expected to cater to high volume, rapid refueling. As detailed in the CARB report I linked in the previous post, newer stations which are being built in SoCal are designed for much higher throughputs and numbers of daily refuelings.

Thanks, Guy.

Just think how much EV infrastructure could be put in with all that expenditure. CA is spending a fortune to enable a small number of people to drive inefficient vehicles when they could spend much less money to enable a large number of people to drive much more efficient vehicles.

All while propping up the fossil-fuel-based system that EVs are poised to replace.

It's sad.

RegGuheert said:
Thanks, Guy.

Just think how much EV infrastructure could be put in with all that expenditure. CA is spending a fortune to enable a small number of people to drive inefficient vehicles when they could spend much less money to enable a large number of people to drive much more efficient vehicles.

All while propping up the fossil-fuel-based system that EVs are poised to replace.

It's sad.
$20 million a year for up to 10 years for infrastructure, some more for the vehicles (depending on how well they sell/lease). I can live with that, considering the hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars that California has squandered on BEVs/PHEVs compared to supporting even more efficient vehicles and infrastructure. With PV and wind now cost-competitive _without subsidies_ in at least some areas, there is absolutely nothing about H2 that requires propping up the fossil-fuel-based system. And again, FCEVs/FCHVs are EVs.

As to H2 being inefficient vehicles, sure. So are BEVs compared to the local vehicles I use. For any given distance, biking, walking and ICEs have energy ratios of 1:3:60 in the same energy units. Since BEVs are three or four times more efficient than a pure BEV, that reduces the ratio to 1:3:15 or 20. FCEVs would probably come in at ratios about 30 or 40.

GRA said:
With PV and wind now cost-competitive _without subsidies_ in at least some areas, there is absolutely nothing about H2 that requires propping up the fossil-fuel-based system.
You're kidding, right? How many BEVs are being kept off the roads because $200M is being spent on a small quantity of less efficient transportation?

Can you provide ANY evidence that 500+ kg/day H2 refueling stations will not obtain their H2 by reforming fossil fuels? Those are the type of station that you just pointed out would be built using taxpayer's money.

GRA said:
And again, FCEVs/FCHVs are EVs.

I would think folks who support this H2 technology would want to distance themselves from those bad "last mile solution" electric cars.

Yes, my 1947 John Deere M tractor has a generator for 6 volt positive ground electrons, so I guess it's an EV, too. My body is typing this from electrical stimulation / signals from my brain... I'M ELECTRIC, TOO !!! WOO HOO !!!!

By the way, I'm not really against spending the money for research. I'm am against doing so in lieu of completing (hell, beginning) the California West Coast Electric Highway, amongst several other EV initiatives.

That puts H2 and those "other" electric cars in competition for public resources.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
With PV and wind now cost-competitive _without subsidies_ in at least some areas, there is absolutely nothing about H2 that requires propping up the fossil-fuel-based system.
You're kidding, right? How many BEVs are being kept off the roads because $200M is being spent on a small quantity of less efficient transportation?
How many bicycles are being kept off the road because hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent to provide infrastructure and support for BEVs, which will only allow sprawl lifestyles to continue, with all of its additional external costs (roads, sewers, water, power, health costs due to injuries and obesity, etc.)? Since bikes and feet require far less energy and much cheaper infrastructure and space than does any car, do less damage to the infrastructure or the environment, are better for our health and encourage higher density (and thus greener) development, how can you possibly support ANY government money being wasted on cars, however powered? There are many bike and walking advocates who make that argument - see "Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less are the Keys to Sustainability" by David Owen as an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Metropolis-Smaller-Driving-Sustainability/dp/1594484848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, yeah, I have no problem with spending $20 million/year on H2 infrastructure out of California's $156.3 billion (this year) budget, even if it's potentially wasted if FCEVs don't take off, just as I have no problem with money being spent on BEVs despite the fact that my own lifestyle is far greener and less expensive than if I were to use such an inefficient means of transport as a CAR for my local travel.

RegGuheert said:
Can you provide ANY evidence that 500+ kg/day H2 refueling stations will not obtain their H2 by reforming fossil fuels? Those are the type of station that you just pointed out would be built using taxpayer's money.
Actually, I pointed out that they needed to be built in the future if FCEVs take off. The ones being built average 180 kg./day, but the larger ones are in the 250-350 kg./day range at the moment, IIRR. Several of those are 100% renewable. Feel free to read the report yourself for the details.

Oh, the waste!

"California Governor Jerry Brown Signs Package Of Bills Aimed At Increasing Electric Car Uptake"

http://insideevs.com/california-governor-jerry-brown-signs-multiple-bills-aimed-increasing-electric-car-uptake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pedestrian, bike, public transit and new urbanism advocates are undoubtedly tearing their hair out over this diversion of scarce state funds to continue to support a car-based lifestyle, instead of using the money to support _their_ pet projects.

Just FYI:

"WHO’S ON BOARD 2014 Mobility Attitudes Survey"

http://transitcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/WhosOnBoard2014-ForWeb.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Actually, I pointed out that they needed to be built in the future if FCEVs take off. The ones being built average 180 kg./day, but the larger ones are in the 250-350 kg./day range at the moment, IIRR. Several of those are 100% renewable. Feel free to read the report yourself for the details.
Read the subject report, Reg. The State of CA is MANDATING that this first round of H2 is 1/3 from renewable sources - a target the existing infrastructure already meets. H2 from wind, solar, and biogas is already deployed and commercially viable. We no longer need fossil fuels for personal transportation.

If someone made a hydrogen fuel cell powered range extender that you could put in the trunk of a Leaf, I'd probably buy one.

Regardless, my favorite zero emissions method of transportation is still having my dogs tow me on a skateboard. :mrgreen:

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Actually, I pointed out that they needed to be built in the future if FCEVs take off.
:?: But you posted that as a response to drees' posting about a user who has experienced an average of 47-minute waits to date. I thought you were saying those stations need to be built today to break the chicken and egg problem. It will be interesting to see FCVs take off with long waits for fueling.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Actually, I pointed out that they needed to be built in the future if FCEVs take off.
:?: But you posted that as a response to drees' posting about a user who has experienced an average of 47-minute waits to date. I thought you were saying those stations need to be built today to break the chicken and egg problem. It will be interesting to see FCVs take off with long waits for fueling.
Yes, I was pointing out the fact that the UC Irvine H2 fueling station is the oldest one in SoCal, was never intended to handle high frequency fueling, dates in its current incarnation from 2006, and is not representative of the new stations that are being built in the area. The Prius Chat post appears to be an example of the usual hiccups attending the introduction of a new technology, with users being unfamiliar with the capabilities and limitations. A certain amount of outreach from the auto companies explaining locations with better fueling speeds wouldn't hurt.

The new stations, which are being 'built today' are faster, and while they aren't 500+ kg stations, they are designed to handle more and more frequent refueling than is the case at Irvine and similar outdated H2 fueling stations. Again, the details are in the referenced report.

GRA said:
The new stations, which are being 'built today' are faster, and while they aren't 500+ kg stations, they are designed to handle more and more frequent refueling than is the case at Irvine and similar outdated H2 fueling stations. Again, the details are in the referenced report.
From the PriusChat link:
Troy Heagy said:
The other station 5 miles away is "down" and has been down for two weeks.
It seems that the newer stations are filling even fewer FCVs than the old ones. According to an earlier post, they were both down when he first got the vehicle.

There are two stations nearby:

Fontain Valley Water Treatment Plant
and
Newport Beach Shell Station

Each has a capacity of about 100 kg of H2 per day. So, between the three of them, they can produce, at most, about 250 kg of hydrogen per day. Assuming each vehicle fills up with 5 kg/week, that means that these three stations can service a fleet of about 350 FCVs. Total cost to the taxpayer: ~$5M, or about $14,300 per FCV. That is on top of the generous CARB credits which apparently have a value of ~135,000 per vehicle.

So, what does it cost to put a FCV on the road for three years?

$3,000 - Due at signing.
$18,000 - 36 months at $500
$3,600 - Cost of fuel @ $0.10/mile, 12,000 mile/year, three years (Not sure who pays for it. CA taxpayers, probably...)
$14,300 - Cost of a fueling station
$130,000 - CARB credits (I guess that's not a direct tax, but still a benefit to Hyundai.)
----------------------------------------------
~$169,000 - $21,000 borne by the lessee and $148,000 borne by the taxpayers

And that doesn't include any money spent to maintain the filling stations.

I don't think CA can afford to put too many of these on the road, but that won't stop it from breaking the bank trying.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
From the PriusChat link:
Troy Heagy said:
The other station 5 miles away is "down" and has been down for two weeks.
It seems that the newer stations are filling even fewer FCVs than the old ones. According to an earlier post, they were both down when he first got the vehicle.

There are two stations nearby:

Fontain Valley Water Treatment Plant
and
Newport Beach Shell Station

Each has a capacity of about 100 kg of H2 per day. So, between the three of them, they can produce, at most, about 250 kg of hydrogen per day. Assuming each vehicle fills up with 5 kg/week, that means that these three stations can service a fleet of about 350 FCVs. Total cost to the taxpayer: ~$5M, or about $14,300 per FCV. That is on top of the generous CARB credits which apparently have a value of ~135,000 per vehicle.

So, what does it cost to put a FCV on the road for three years?

$3,000 - Due at signing.
$18,000 - 36 months at $500
$3,600 - Cost of fuel @ $0.10/mile, 12,000 mile/year, three years (Not sure who pays for it. CA taxpayers, probably...)
In the case of the Tucson, Hyundai (12k/yr). You must remember, its been covered numerous times in the thread.

RegGuheert said:
$14,300 - Cost of a fueling station
$130,000 - CARB credits (I guess that's not a direct tax, but still a benefit to Hyundai.)
----------------------------------------------
~$169,000 - $21,000 borne by the lessee and $148,000 borne by the taxpayers

And that doesn't include any money spent to maintain the filling stations.

I don't think CA can afford to put too many of these on the road, but that won't stop it from breaking the bank trying.
Of course, Newport Beach is a Tri-Gen demonstration plant that just uses excess power to make H2 (after heat/electricity), and Fountain Valley dates from 2012, i.e. neither is representative of the 180-250 kg./day production plants that are being/will be built in the area. But you're right, they are expensive and suck up government funds As, of course, are/do BEVs and their still all-too often balky and incomplete public infrastructure. I couldn't help noticing the following current threads, 3 years and 9 months after the introduction of the LEAF and Volt:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
But you're right, they are expensive and suck up government funds As, of course, are/do BEVs and their still all-too often balky and incomplete public infrastructure.
According this article, CA allocated $46.6M to build 28 H2 stations and $5M for 175 EV charging stations. That is $1.66M per H2 station versus $28K per BEV station, a ratio of 58:1. In other words, the fueling infrastructure costs are hardly comparable.
GRA said:
I couldn't help noticing the following current threads, 3 years and 9 months after the introduction of the LEAF and Volt:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, QCs continue to have reliability problems. And I don't expect that to change anytime soon. When I charge my LEAF at a QC station, relays click away while the session is negotiated. It doesn't give me an impression the stations are designed for long life. But Tesla has apparently developed a working approach.

Note, however the important difference: QCs for BEVs enhance their capabilities but for many applications they are not essential since the vehicles can be charged at home. This becomes more true as range is increased. For FCVs, the extremely-expensive H2 fueling infrastructure is essential for any application.

Back