ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, they had their time in the sun... And now that time has past and the bar has been raised (though, I'd argue that the PiP should not be allowed either based on its ridiculously short EV range)...

mwalsh said:
I watch out for them to keep regular Prius owners honest when it comes to the HOV lane. To their credit, they've been surprisingly unemotional about loosing the privilege. :D

Nubo said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Can we get license plate shots of the cars parked in front of the massage parlor? This might be one time when people would want them fuzzed out - not that we care! :lol:

Yeah I thought we were taking "shaming" to a whole new level :lol:

295684.jpg
I always felt that Palin's 'fund-raising experience' would come in handy for arm-twisting donors when he was President of the Royal Geographical Society (2009-2012), a marvelous and true joke that can only be described as Pythonesque :D Even ignoring his work making travel documentaries, his Python and Ripping Yarns CV included numerous sketches aside from 'Blackmail' that would prepare him to head the RGS:

Member of the International Hairdresser's Expedition to Mt. Everest; experience of antarctic/desert exploration ('Scott of the Antarctic/Sahara'); ran a jungle restaurant on the route to the 'Lost World of Roiurama', as well as serving as a porter in the Explorer's Club; Led the British Naval Expedition to Lake Pahoe ("22a, Runcorn Avenue"); looks good in a safari jacket, shorts and pith helmet while performing the Fish-Slapping Dance; deep knowledge of animal behavior ("the Norwegian Blue prefers kippin' on its back!" "Across the Andes by Frog"); experience in academia (member of the Philosophy department of the University of Woolamaloo); knowledge of numerous languages and dialects including German, Italian, French, Hungarian and RAF banter; experience applying for government grants ("Well sir, I have a silly walk and I'd like to obtain a Government grant to help me develop it") as well as comfort working with senior religious figures ("Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"); skilled in debate (""an argument is an intellectual process, while contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says"), and on and on. You couldn't ask for better preparation. :lol:

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
And the Prius could have been a PIP... It's hard to tell from the photo...

All the factory PIPs have an aluminum trim plate on the tailgate and a very distinct charge cover on the side of the vehicle pictured. That definitely ain't one, unless it's aftermarket.
Yep. None of the Priuses pictured so far are PiPs. They're also Gen 2 Priuses (04-09 model year) but they could be aftermarket retrofits (would need to inspect more closely). The PiP didn't become available until the '12 model year and is based on the Gen 3 (2010+ model year).

PiPs will have PLUG-IN HYRBID badging on the 2 front fenders, and a badge on the back, besides that trim plate. The wheels also are different than that of any other Gen 2 or Gen 3 Prius. Take a look at http://www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in/#!/gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also, the taillight design changed on 2012+ Priuses (PiP and non-PiP) vs. the '10 and '11.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/prius/2006/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under Photos has lots of pic of a Gen 2 Prius.

One can see that the Gen 3 regular Prius liftback at http://www.toyota.com/prius/#!/gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; doesn't have the trim plate on the tailgate along different wheel designs.

BTW, there are now 4 members of the Prius family: regular aka liftback, v wagon (bigger), c (smaller), and PiP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_M8aCqmHr3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sums it up pretty well. http://john1701a.com/prius/album/prius-album02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows the Gen 1 (aka NHW11) that spanned the 01-03 model year.

JasonA said:
I've got lots of pics but the thing that pisses me off the most is property management owners that won't put up proper signage for "EV ONLY" parking.. :roll:

cf359017b3a4b8cc0d2b58eb5d989151.jpg

To be clear....this photo is at the Burbank Town Center mall, just outside of Sport Chalet. Only 2 of the four spaces are designated EV charging spots: the gray Leaf is not in one, even though the charging cord will reach, and neither is the Transit, which I believe is posted as a loading zone. And of the two spaces that are designated, the signage is insufficient for Burbank Police to enforce as it lacks the necessary wording.

Also, I did not know this until recently, but many ChargePoint stations including these have a 120 volt outlet hidden behind the corrugated metal plate below the display. Just wave your card or RFID-enabled credit card, and when it is accepted just pull the door open. So if the L2's are used up, and you have your L1 EVSE in the car with you, this gives you an option.

And if you see an Blue Ocean Leaf charging there some evening, you might find its owner over at IKEA getting his Swedish meatball fix :D

RonDawg said:
Also, I did not know this until recently, but many ChargePoint stations including these have a 120 volt outlet hidden behind the corrugated metal plate below the display. Just wave your card or RFID-enabled credit card, and when it is accepted just pull the door open. So if the L2's are used up, and you have your L1 EVSE in the car with you, this gives you an option.
Ron, unfortunately the L1 just doesn't work. There's a fatal design flaw. The plate has to make connection to the magnetic connector before the power will flow. This means the brick of the portable EVSE is just hanging in mid-air. This causes the plug to pull out just enough from the plug under the plate to cause a fault and the charge aborts. I've tried three times on three different plugs before I gave up. If there was a plate to velcro the brick then it wouldn't be a problem. Coulomb is aware of this (afaik) and is not building those models of EVSE's anymore.

ksnogas2112 said:
RonDawg said:
Ron, unfortunately the L1 just doesn't work. There's a fatal design flaw. The plate has to make connection to the magnetic connector before the power will flow. This means the brick of the portable EVSE is just hanging in mid-air. This causes the plug to pull out just enough from the plug under the plate to cause a fault and the charge aborts. I've tried three times on three different plugs before I gave up. If there was a plate to velcro the brick then it wouldn't be a problem. Coulomb is aware of this (afaik) and is not building those models of EVSE's anymore.
Is there no way to attach a loop of cord to the brick so you can hang it from the pedestal while providing strain relief? BTW, chargepoint still shows the dual mode 120/240 EVSEs on the products link on their website.

ksnogas2112 said:
RonDawg said:

OK thanks for the info. I have never tried to use the L1 outlet myself.

ksnogas2112 said:
RonDawg said:
I've used the 120V L1 outlet on ChargePoints probably 20+ times, and I've never had this issue...

ksnogas2112 said:
RonDawg said:

I use the "put the portable EVSE brick under the hood and run an extension cord to the plug" trick (Seen somewhere on this forum - there's a perfect gap between the 12V battery and the "firewall", route the J-plug along one side of the charge port and the extension cord along the other and you can close the hood.). This eliminates the problem of the plug being pulled out and secures the EVSE at the same time.

IMG_20130702_180411_zpsbe707f00.jpg

As I get to my nightly charge at the blink DCQC in Azusa CA I see a Prius plug-in in one of the parking spots clearly marked parking for EV Charging only and there is plenty of parking spots in this lot at all times. So when the guy comes out and starts putting some boxes in the back of his car I ask him why he parked here and he tells me he has an electric vehicle!, I said no you have a Hybrid then he starts arguing with me that it’s electric and he can park here so I told him to read the sign! “No Parking Except For Electric Vehicle Charging” I also asked him to show me how he can charge here! Then he drove off.

vsaphill said:
As I get to my nightly charge at the blink DCQC in Azusa CA I see a Prius plug-in in one of the parking spots clearly marked parking for EV Charging only and there is plenty of parking spots in this lot at all times. So when the guy comes out and starts putting some boxes in the back of his car I ask him why he parked here and he tells me he has an electric vehicle!, I said no you have a Hybrid then he starts arguing with me that it’s electric and he can park here so I told him to read the sign! “No Parking Except For Electric Vehicle Charging” I also asked him to show me how he can charge here! Then he drove off.
Sorry, you've admitted he has a Prius Plug-in. If he was plugged in and charging, then he had every right to be there. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to change the sign to say "EV Parking, Plug-in Hybrid Parking, Extended Range EV parking" to cover any circumstance. I think it is a given if the car has a plug, it is considered an EV for the purposes of the charging station.

adric22 said:
vsaphill said:
Sorry, you've admitted he has a Prius Plug-in. If he was plugged in and charging, then he had every right to be there. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to change the sign to say "EV Parking, Plug-in Hybrid Parking, Extended Range EV parking" to cover any circumstance. I think it is a given if the car has a plug, it is considered an EV for the purposes of the charging station.
adric22, that is the most incompetent post I've read on MNL in a long time.
The plug in Prius is parked in a DCFC only parking spot. It has no L2 EVSE.
The sign says “No Parking Except For Electric Vehicle Charging”.
The Plug-in Prius is clearly illegally parked, the driver was apparently too ignorant to even recognize that. The vehicle has to have a plug that will work for the EV charging spot, and has to be plugged in and charging, or it is illegally parked.

Back