ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
GRA said:
TomT said:
Do you really think that cops give a damn?! They do what they want to and to hell with the rules and regulations that mere civilians have to follow!
If it's properly signed for EV charging only and enough people complain about it to the city and/or the media, with photos showing the offending city-owned vehicle(s), I'm quite sure that cops too will give a damn. Or at least their bosses will and will put a stop to it, which amounts to the same thing. The same methods that shamed Nissan into buying back cars and coming up with a battery warranty work equally well when dealing with public bad behavior by government employees, especially when it involves illegal use of government vehicles. Ubiquitous camera-equipped phones pretty much eliminate deniability.
uh, no.
they park where they like, when they like.
red zones, hydrants, fire lanes, no standing.
they are like diplomats in NYC.
If they're doing so as part of their duties, no problem. But there's no excuse for this if properly posted (which doesn't appear to be the case here), as it's a non-emergency situation. How many politicians want to have the local blow-dried airhead doing an expose at 5, 6 and 11, with microphones shoved in the faces of said pols asking why they're tolerating this heinous and illegal misuse of public facilities, paid for by taxpayers. Police acting badly! Film at Eleven!

Yeah, there's absolutely no interest among the news media for that kind of story. I can't remember if it was Sixty Minutes or a local channel that recently had a segment on government employees driving work vehicles for personal use both during and outside of work hours.

In this case, I'd say emailing/calling the Downey City government and politely pointing out the problem should be the next step, and go from there.

and to get back on topic with the pictures...at the second county library with EVSE's. It took 8 months to get signs up and now it's ICE'd. <edit> on a side note the email I sent to the county regarding county vehicles blocking the evse was met with null response.

Attachments

• library_2.jpg
    library_2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 169
Pretty much the same response you get from most any county on most any subject! I think they take classes in that! :lol:

ksnogas2112 said:
on a side note the email I sent to the county regarding county vehicles blocking the evse was met with null response.

A Leaf. Plugged in, but purposely not charging. Chargepoint had never been activated. Car has EV advocacy stickers all over it. I think they are doing it for show to illustrate what a car charging looks like. I guess they never dreamed someone would actually have an EV and not able to use it because the parking spot and charger are taken in an empty lot.

I don't understand why people do this. This is at NCSU. It's almost as if having a plug in car is a badge of honor to make them look good and get a good parking spot. In this lot there were practically no other cars. Why block the one EV space and even worse, pretend to use the one charge station.

I went to another charge station close by and another leaf was parked in the EV spot, not even pretending to charge. Again in an empty lot.

kubel said:
eved.jpg

tf.png
My Leaf has been at the gas station on several occasions. Sometime you have to buy gas for the lawnmower.

dm33 said:
A Leaf. Plugged in, but purposely not charging. Chargepoint had never been activated. Car has EV advocacy stickers all over it. I think they are doing it for show to illustrate what a car charging looks like. I guess they never dreamed someone would actually have an EV and not able to use it because the parking spot and charger are taken in an empty lot.

I don't understand why people do this. This is at NCSU. It's almost as if having a plug in car is a badge of honor to make them look good and get a good parking spot. In this lot there were practically no other cars. Why block the one EV space and even worse, pretend to use the one charge station.

I went to another charge station close by and another leaf was parked in the EV spot, not even pretending to charge. Again in an empty lot.

How do you post a picture? Especially from an iPhone?
6puo1jtr5

How did you determine they were "purposely not charging" and "not even pretending to charge".

Chargepoint stations don't release the connector until you swipe your card. So it seems more likely that they did have an active session going. Maybe the car was simply done charging.

N952JL said:
My Leaf has been at the gas station on several occasions. Sometime you have to buy gas for the lawnmower.
I've done that a couple times too, but others here were quick to point out what a bad thing I'm doing for the environment since small engines don't have catalytic converters or other emission controls.

Maybe EVers should make a point to stop at C-stores and park in front of a pump while they go inside for coffee. The store owner may not complain, as there is more profit in selling a cup of coffee than a tank of gas.

richard said:
How did you determine they were "purposely not charging" and "not even pretending to charge".

Chargepoint stations don't release the connector until you swipe your card. So it seems more likely that they did have an active session going. Maybe the car was simply done charging.
The Chargepoint station didn't show it was in a session. Had the message about swipe a card to start a session. That is a good point about not being able to get the connector without starting one. Maybe they ended the session and left it plugged in anyway.
I looked up the city ordinance here and it is poorly written. It says that an electric car in an electric parking space must be plugged in or else its in violation and can be fined $50. It makes no mention of requiring the vehicle to be charging.
I called the campus parking enforcement and they said they refuse to enforce parking. If an electric vehicle is parked in the spot, even if not charging and not even plugged in, they will not do anything about it. They don't care that their policy doesn't make sense.

Very frustrating. I never expected so many people to be inconsiderate. So far I've run into non stop ICE vehicles parked in charging spots, or EVs not charging, or nasty comments from passerby's about why I get to park close to the door. The conclusion I'm reaching is that its just not worth trying to use public charge stations in my area. I'll have to assume they don't exist. Not worth the hassle and certainly not worth the risk of not getting home.

This is at the Chateau Montebello hotel, many Fairmont hotels have Charging stations.

I can JUST make it in my Leaf...it is 115 km from my house. There were 2 Volts plugged in front of the station, neither plugged in. For the entire day and night!

They let me park on the side and just stretch the cord. Once I was charged I moved it over.

That is not the hotel :) just an outbuilding at next to the parking lot.

dm33 said:
...How do you post a picture? Especially from an iPhone?
image.jpg

Link to image
You need the URL to point directly to the JPEG or PNG file. In this case, I clicked on "show codes" at your link, copied the "Direct Link" choice and put it inside the tags.

The "Thumbnail" choice could be useful, too:

[url=http://postimg.org/image/6puo1jtr5/][img]http://s8.postimg.org/6puo1jtr5/image.jpg[/url]

Just spotted the new all electric Chevy Avalanche with CHAdeMO. More proof that GM is abandoning the Frankenplug!

rkre.jpg

Mitsubishi North America Headquarters. No other cars under the solar canopy when I got there and tons of parking spots. Obviously thinks this is making a statement but have to laugh at how pathetic this is. QC cord reaches to the spots on either side.

iq1k.jpg

q80j.jpg

If that's an employee you'd think there could be some repercussions.

Aside from that, there's only one device I know of that effectively enforces parking, it's called a tow truck.

Kroger grocery store, intersection of Hwy 121 & Coit Rd in Plano, TX on July 17, 2013. Two chargers with four potential charge parking spots, all ICED.

Edit: I also posted this picture on Kroger's main facebook page with a suggestion that some green paint on the pavement to designate the 4 spots would be helpful.

ICEDKroger.jpg

It's too bad that post about the tire valve removal being another alternative to a tow, got removed.

I was going to give it a +10 :twisted:

z0ner said:
It's too bad that post about the tire valve removal being another alternative to a tow, got removed.

I was going to give it a +10 :twisted:

Hmmm... I thought "deleted successfully" meant nobody'd seen it. :lol:

While I might fantasize about removing someone's valve cores, I'd never act on it and wouldn't want to encourage anyone else to do so. The potential for violent confrontation is high, as well as criminal charges. And, it's just wrong.

Nubo said:
Hmmm... I thought "deleted successfully" meant nobody'd seen it. :lol:

While I might fantasize about removing someone's valve cores, I'd never act on it and wouldn't want to encourage anyone else to do so. The potential for violent confrontation is high, as well as criminal charges. And, it's just wrong.
And, the irate ICE car driver might take it out on the next EV he sees. Please don't go there.

Back