Leaf Audio/Music Features

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at the list of music players supported by Ford Sync through USB. We don't know whether Leaf will support all these - but apparently Windows Automotive makes it easy to update needed drivers using USB.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Compatibility/AllCompatibleMediaPlayers.aspx

Apple, Creative Labs, Archos, iRiver, Microsoft, Phillips, Samsung, Sandisk, Sony, Toshiba players. Wow. Even plays DRMed music in many of these players.

For those of you who had success playing MP3s from a USB flash drive... What format did you use?
I formatted one 1GB as FAT on a PC, and copied an iTunes folder structure onto the drive with MP3s.
When I inserted it, the Leaf display said something like "check USB format" and didn't list or play any of the music.

TEG said:
For those of you who had success playing MP3s from a USB flash drive... What format did you use?
I formatted one 1GB as FAT on a PC, and copied an iTunes folder structure onto the drive with MP3s.
When I inserted it, the Leaf display said something like "check USB format" and didn't list or play any of the music.

The USB drive that I tested with was a 8GB sandisk drive and it's formatted FAT32. I just noticed a new format type... 'exFAT'. Maybe you did that one by mistake and it's too new for the LEAF to read? Maybe try a different brand and see if it makes a difference?

-Peter

I went to another test drive event, this time bringing an HTC Droid phone, and Motorola SLVR.
It recognized both of them when plugged into USB and played MP3s stored on their SD cards.

For some reason it only showed a few of the songs from the SLVR, not the whole library.
Music navigation was clumsy, but it did read MP3 ID tags from the songs so showed more than just file-names.

Some Nissan staff there said that the cars being shown had prototype firmware, and the features could still improve on the production models.

TEG said:
I went to another test drive event, this time bringing an HTC Droid phone, and Motorola SLVR.
It recognized both of them when plugged into USB and played MP3s stored on their SD cards.

I guess the car is treating the phones as ext storage ...

If anyone has a music player (other than i*) and tries that, we will get some confirmation on how much of Sync's features Leaf has.

Oh, I tried a Creative Zen player too but it didn't recognize it at all.

TEG said:
That doesn't sound good - if you excuse the expression. May be drivers - if you excuse the term - can be loaded thr' usb. Need to dig ....

evnow said:
TEG said:
That doesn't sound good - if you excuse the expression. May be drivers - if you excuse the term - can be loaded thr' usb. Need to dig ....
I am a little c@onfused. For any mp3 players it doesn't recognize, you can use the aux in. Not as elegant, but it will work.

JasonT said:
I am a little c@onfused. For any mp3 players it doesn't recognize, you can use the aux in. Not as elegant, but it will work.
Yes - but USB is better - since that allows navigation using wheel/dash controls. Less distracting and safer.

And possibly better sound quality not going through an extra analog cable.

Oh yes, and it can charge the phone or MP3 player while it is plugged into the USB.

I did something this afternoon which I haven't done for a long time: I plugged the analog output of my Sony MP3 player into my big system at home. For the most part, the MP3s sounded pretty good on my Magnepan MMG planer speakers. I'm used to listening to analog LP, lossless, and high resolution at home, but for the most part, the analog output from the portable Sony MP3 player didn't sound that bad. I'll be looking forward to listening to these MP3 files on the LEAF's sound system and in its quiet interior next year, when I finally get to order in the "forgotten 36". Are any of you who are taking delivery before next summer acustomed to listening to really good sounding audio at home? I'd be interested in some comments from audiophiles who get a chance to listen in the LEAF over several days to a month...

tps said:
For the most part, the MP3s sounded pretty good on my Magnepan MMG planer speakers. I'm used to listening to analog LP, lossless, and high resolution at home, but for the most part, the analog output from the portable Sony MP3 player didn't sound that bad.
I used to have Magnepan's a few years back. Gave up on LPs a while back too. Higher resolution MP3 will slowly approach the quality of CDs, though usually I can make out the difference - though I've not tried connecting any mp3 players to my main music system.

I plan to try out analog out, USB & BlueTooth options to figure out the "best" one - but I'm 2 months away from getting Leaf.

I wonder if how a USB flash drive such as the Pico "C" would work out with the LEAF? Right now, my MP3 collection fits comfortably on 16GB, but I'm guessing I might need a 32GB drive by the time I am able to order my LEAF. Maybe I should try to get one of these and take it to the March "Drive Electric" event in DC (the closest to me) to try it out. Or maybe those of you owners on the west coast might want to try and report your findings. Specifically, I'm wondering if the small size would be good, given the position of the LEAFs USB jack.

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/18_75.pdf

Pardon me if this has been answered before, or is a dumb question...I've only had dumb phones before. I felt compelled to make the leap to the iPhone since it will talk to the car, and also has an app to monitor our solar system. But this is more about using the phone IN the car....

Since the car has a USB port, does that obviate the need for a dedicated iPhone interface gadget for charging and transmitting audio...meaning, can you just use the phone<->USB cable that came with the phone to not only interact with the audio system but charge the phone? Also, I know you can go handsfree with bluetooth
(I assume there's a mic somewhere in the cabin?), but would docking the phone with its own USB cable achieve the same thing?

I guess what I'm asking is does the USB port simply consider anything attached to it to be a removeable drive with storage, or is there more to it (such as providing the charge current and/or interfacing to the phone)

wsbca said:
Pardon me if this has been answered before, or is a dumb question...I've only had dumb phones before. I felt compelled to make the leap to the iPhone since it will talk to the car, and also has an app to monitor our solar system. But this is more about using the phone IN the car....

Since the car has a USB port, does that obviate the need for a dedicated iPhone interface gadget for charging and transmitting audio...meaning, can you just use the phone<->USB cable that came with the phone to not only interact with the audio system but charge the phone? Also, I know you can go handsfree with bluetooth
(I assume there's a mic somewhere in the cabin?), but would docking the phone with its own USB cable achieve the same thing?

I guess what I'm asking is does the USB port simply consider anything attached to it to be a removeable drive with storage, or is there more to it (such as providing the charge current and/or interfacing to the phone)

I brought my Apple-supplied iPhone USB cable to the test drives and plugged it in. The car 'found' my music right away (folders, playlists and all) AND charged my phone. The steering wheel controls also worked for next, back, volume, etc. :mrgreen:

Do we know what file formats the car will read/play? I assume the user manual will tell us (in a few days right?). I know MP3 is fine (which is what most of my music is in). Any other formats that it works with that might be better? Well WAV is better but the files are too big for me.

-Peter

evnow said:
tps said:
For the most part, the MP3s sounded pretty good on my Magnepan MMG planer speakers. I'm used to listening to analog LP, lossless, and high resolution at home, but for the most part, the analog output from the portable Sony MP3 player didn't sound that bad.
I used to have Magnepan's a few years back. Gave up on LPs a while back too. Higher resolution MP3 will slowly approach the quality of CDs, though usually I can make out the difference - though I've not tried connecting any mp3 players to my main music system.

I plan to try out analog out, USB & BlueTooth options to figure out the "best" one - but I'm 2 months away from getting Leaf.

I have Magnepan MMG-W's in my bedroom system and use wall-mounted speakers with B&G planar tweeters in the living room. My custom MMG's (struts, new crossovers) are in the closet with the amplifier I built for them due to cat issues until I can get a dedicated room... But I think I will go full-digital active crossover when I bring them back out as most of my source material is now digital.

What are you guys using for amplification? Other than the UcD amplifier I built, the majority of my amplifiers have been NAD with some higher-end and some lower-end. (BTW, although not powerful enough for some speakers, my NAD 3020 has been the most reliable piece of audio equiptment I've ever owned)

It is good to know some people have decent frames of reference for sound systems-- unlike most car audio fans or people who think Bose is the ultimate in speakers. Maybe people who give their impressions of the LEAF's audio system should list what they are used to listening to and/or what they think sounds good.

lne937s said:
It is good to know some people have decent frames of reference for sound systems-- unlike most car audio fans or people who think Bose is the ultimate in speakers. Maybe people who give their impressions of the LEAF's audio system should list what they are used to listening to and/or what they think sounds good.
I consider myself a recovering audiophile ;-)

I still have my tube gear with Martin Logans, though.

BTW, when I used to frequent AudioAsylum - I remember some talk of how to keep the cat away from "maggies". Some spray ...

Back