LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool license plate.

I haven't registered my car yet; I'm still waiting on the paperwork from the dealership. I'm sorry you had a weird experience at that DMV office downtown. I kind of feel badly about it actually. You see, I stopped by the DMV on Burlington, just north of downtown a few weeks ago to ask for the paperwork to get the highway tax sticker. The supervisor knew exactly what I was asking for and printed out the paperwork. She said that I should come back to that particular office to register the car because they register lots of "non-traditional" vehicles including electrics and natural gas cars so they are familiar with the paperwork involved. She also said that most of the DMV offices in town only carry maybe two tax stickers at any point in time. At the DMV on Burlington, apparently because of their volume in "non-traditional" vehicles, she carries lots of extras. I should have said something earlier; I'm sorry. I'm not sure where their volume comes from, but I suspect it's the city. I've seen several natural gas vehicles of theirs driving around. That office used to be in the petstore in North Kansas City, but had now moved a couple of blocks further north and is now located in a car dealership building.

I think I finally have my EV figured out. I spent a total of may 5-6 hours getting familiar with all the features.

Oh, Pierponts would be fine. Some of us can charge up in the above ground Union Station parking structure. It has two spots, a level 1 and a level 2.

I charged one evening using the level 1 charger that comes with the LEAF. It's about 1/3 slower than the level 2. I haven't used the level 1 out in the wild yet though. In order to keep it from "walking away" I bought a combination padlock at Target. It's black, is exactly the right size, and is glossy black, just like my new LEAF.

Wow. That sucks and is stupid. We pay higher fuel taxes over here and there's nothing like that. Nothing like encouraging people to stick with ICE.

Now if they want to lower/remove all taxes on fuel and have EVERYONE get a tax sticker, then that's ok.

CA = get benefit from high efficiency/alternative fuel vehicles
MO= get punished for alternative fuel vehicles

And people wonder why there's a low acceptance in the Midwest.

I woudn't have gone to the SOB DMV had my personalized plates not been delivered there (it was my only choice). I work close by, so I popped over there around 11:00 a.m. I happened to get a front row parking space in the circle drive in front of the building :). I began removing my old plates from my car when two angry drivers (crazy "ladies" :eek: ) started screaming and honking at a driver ahead of their cars, who was hovering for a spot to free up, blocking them from moving past her. Nobody exited a spot for the duration that I removed the old plates. AFTER I walked over and politely told her something like, "ma'am, you're making a lot of people angry... you're blocking the drive; you might want to move over and let them through," she pulled over, out of the way (duh!). I feared someone would try to squeeze through and swipe my car's rear end :shock: (one lunatic was in a big, old SUV)....Those folks needed a chill pill really badly! :( I do understand them though, it's frustrating doing any business downtown, mainly because of the frigging parking situation (none available, stupid meters or grab a spot quickly if you see one free up or walk for blocks, get a ticket when the meter expires). So that was the preamble to my registration saga! I thought my halo was on straight that day, but ... such was my luck :!:

Guys, we need to get an extension cord like the one in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8998&hilit=sears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then we can secure our L1 EVSE like in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also read where others have placed a padlock through the J1772 handle, as well, but haven't seen a picture...I haven't unwrapped my L1 EVSE to see where there's a hole for that (I should really be more curious!)... :oops:
I've only been charging at home for the week I've owned.

My stats so far:
Distance Traveled since delivery 6/4/12: 225.9 miles
Average Energy Economy, June 2012: 4.5 miles/kWh
Electricity Consumption: 64.0 kWh
# of EcoTrees Acquired: 19* :)
Travel Time: 10.2 hrs
# of Trips: 52
CO2 Tailpipe Emission Reduction: 145 lbs
Electric Rate Simulation:
Consumption: 64.0 kWh
- Regeneration 14.5. kWh
= Total net electricity consumed 49.5 kWh
x 0.11 Dollars/kWh
= $5.45 net electricity cost

*Eco tree is a virtual tree. Not intended to represent planting or saving an actual tree. :lol:

Now if I could just get my XMradio set and make phone calls.... :roll:

eclecticflower said:
Guys, we need to get an extension cord like the one in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8998&hilit=sears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then we can secure our L1 EVSE like in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also read where others have placed a padlock through the J1772 handle, as well, but haven't seen a picture...I haven't unwrapped my L1 EVSE to see where there's a hole for that (I should really be more curious!)... :oops:
I've only been charging at home for the week I've owned.

For me the length of the cord with the included level 1 chargers good for me. I tried it out once at home, but I haven't used it out in the wild yet though. One thing to be careful of though. It looked like the extension cord in the above link might not work. The ends of the extension cords must not be translucent in any way. Some charging stations, e.g. ChargePoint, have a photo sensor on the 120v outlet and will not work with any cords with a translucent end.

As for locking the level 1 charge connector, I found a perfect combo lock at target for about $4. It fits perfectly!! I'll post a picture later today. If anyone is interested, I could pick up a few more.

Also, a while back I purchased a couple of plastic license plate covers that say "Powered be American Made Energy" that I'm not going to use if anyone wants them.

Eric, the cord was posted in another thread and it seemed to be one of the best ones according to the conversation (I don't really know; but the plug ends also locked to the other plug ends-securable); Sears is out of them currently.

Got tired of pushing the accelerator so much in ECO drive, so this weekend put it in DRIVE for a couple of short distances - much zippier and so much more enjoyable. :p I know I won't gain any regen in D, but for short rides, I don't feel so bad. I get a lot of regen on the hwy every work day in ECO. Huge difference in ride without the regen braking...so I squander a little... :cry: trying to get rid of my guilt! Have to enjoy the glide of the ride with the saving o' the gas! ;)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting thread...maybe I need to use D more often (going up hills and avoiding regen/drag/forced accelerator) and figure out how to hyper mile using N. I will get more savvy the longer I own and read the forum threads. Eric, please post if you've tried these techniques. Learing curve! :roll:

Attached below is a picture of the padlock I bought for my Level 1 charger. It fits perfectly!! I apologize for the quality of the image. I got it at Target for around $4.00.

IMG_0046.jpg

My heart is aching...

All these new posts and I don't have one... Cannot really justify getting rid of Corolla (destined for college car for daughter #1 in 2 years) or Prius (bought new 8/2011, after having given up on electrics coming to KC). Planning now to wait for 2013 model in Winter, as daughter #2 will start drving in Spring and 3rd vehicle makes sense then....

On a lark, in April I applied to MO DMV for vanity plate "PLUGZ IN" - and its now waiting for me. But no EV to mount it on.....

If you see a Prius with "PLUGZ IN" plates, its me ---- waiting for December.

On a lark, in April I applied to MO DMV for vanity plate "PLUGZ IN" - and its now waiting for me. But no EV to mount it on.....
cdherman, MO only alllows 6 letters/numbers on vanity plates, so you're misspelling yours? ;) See the link to my new vanity plate earlier in this thread (G'BYGAS). Let us know the real plate spelling when you get a chance and tell us where you're located (welcome to our KC-area thread). You're not alone, I know the waiting game pain ($99 reservation Aug. 2010, delivery June 4, 2012)...I've yet to see ericvoll in the wild and we both live north of the river, both work downtown and have both had our cars about 2 weeks, but we haven't crossed paths yet. ksnogas2112 (Tom) is over the state line and still awaiting delivery. Great to know there are more KC LEAF lovers! :)

We may need to start a KC LEAF car club, similar to other car clubs who meet regularly to share insights, swap stories, ogle each other's LEAFs and spread the EV word. Yes, it'll be a very small group to start... :roll:

Eric, good find! Did it rain on your charge ports? :lol: Ideally, we need a padlock with a large U-clip to pass through both the charge port cover clip and the EVSE gun handle hole to close the area off entirely to intruders. I've read on the forum where vandals have smashed the port cover backward and broken it... :cry:

Just sitting around at summer camp reading the emails on the forum and watching the mercury try to hit 100* again. I think it's a miss today. If i don't get call / email from dealer will check in on Thursday.

Stay cool y'all

ksnogas2112 said:
Just sitting around at summer camp reading the emails on the forum and watching the mercury try to hit 100* again. I think it's a miss today. If i don't get call / email from dealer will check in on Thursday.

Stay cool y'all
Soon...very, very soon.

Back