Leaf owners: What ONE thing do you most dislike about it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
Funny thing - When you ask the car to precondition (fixed at 74 degrees), and have the dashboard climate control set for 70 degrees, you are telling the car to preheat to 74 then immediately spend energy cooling back to 70 as you drive away.

Isn't auto CC set to 77 degrees? Which makes your scenario that much worse. Best to just leave the CC off for the first few miles.

BTW, that's a common mistake I seem to be making of late...now that I'm coming home with the A/C on - forgetting to switch it off before I set out again the next morning. I mean I do catch it in pretty short order, usually the first time to see what projected range my overnight charge has given, so it's not a massive deal.

DeaneG said:
Funny thing - When you ask the car to precondition (fixed at 74 degrees), and have the dashboard climate control set for 70 degrees, you are telling the car to preheat to 74 then immediately spend energy cooling back to 70 as you drive away.
I'd expect to lose most of that difference just opening the door and climbing in.

The remote preheat/precool is preset to 77 degrees and is unchangeable. However, the auto climate control in the car is whatever temperature you set it to on the dash.

What I will sometimes do when I only want outside vent and the fan, is turn the temperature all the way down and make sure the AC button is not lit. This ensures that neither the heater nor the AC will run. I shouldn't have to go through such machinations but I have not found another way to affect this end result.

mwalsh said:
Isn't auto CC set to 77 degrees? Which makes your scenario that much worse. Best to just leave the CC off for the first few miles.

Smidge204 said:
Well making your car louder is easy to fix at least! Maybe you could try playing this to cover up the rattling pens and road noise. And passengers. And anything else...

(Warning - lower your volume before clicking! Link is work-safe but only at low volumes. :lol: )

=Smidge=
I would love to play Merzbow in my Leaf -- as LOUD AS POSSIBLE w/out the sound system freaking out! Has anyone really stress tested it yet? Four more weeks til mine arrives...

mwalsh said:
BTW, that's a common mistake I seem to be making of late...now that I'm coming home with the A/C on - forgetting to switch it off before I set out again the next morning. I mean I do catch it in pretty short order, usually the first time to see what projected range my overnight charge has given, so it's not a massive deal.

That happens to me a lot. I think there should be a setting that for default climate control to OFF every time you start the car.

I've only had it for a few hours now, but here are the little annoyances I have found (all minor, generally I love it):

1) Startup Sounds (now disabled, hopefully it won't reset like some people are reporting)
2) "Accept/Decline" screen every frickin' time you start the car, hopefully this can be hacked in the future
3) Left Front Pillar seems to block a lot of my view, particularly in parking lots when pedestrians could be walking towards me and blocked by the pillar. The little tiny window helps quite a bit on the passenger side, but not on the driver side.
4) Charge Port Lid should open with a touch of a button if the key is within range, so you can open it from outside the car (or a button on the remote or something).

The "over-boosted" steering is going to take a bit to get used to, but I think once I drive it for a while it will be fine. Just need to learn the feel of such a unique vehicle.

I've just started day four and only have one dislike so far -- the fact the clocks aren't synchronized. Very annoying.

on the A/C thing, now this might be a Northwest issue only but our high humidity means that i usually run straight air for last minute to "cool" down compressor to prevent condensation which may lead to mold build up.

in drier climates this is a non-issue, but might be a good habit to get into. i am pretty anal about this and have been since i started driving Priuses 7 years ago about turning EVERYTHING off. radio, fans, etc.

DaveinOlyWA said:
on the A/C thing, now this might be a Northwest issue only but our high humidity means that i usually run straight air for last minute to "cool" down compressor to prevent condensation which may lead to mold build up.

in drier climates this is a non-issue, but might be a good habit to get into. i am pretty anal about this and have been since i started driving Priuses 7 years ago about turning EVERYTHING off. radio, fans, etc.

I agree with you, Oly; I've been doing the same thing for years. After awhile it just becomes automatic.

The 3.3kW charger

Just doesnt make sense why they didn't put the 6.6kW charger in the first place!

One more very slight annoyance that I'm going to have to get used to:

I prefer a dial-style speedometer. That way in my peripheral vision I can know how fast I'm going, the needle should be pointed approximately "that" direction. Granted, the speedo numbers in the Leaf are nice and high so you can see them easily, but it's more of a conscious check to read the numbers.

On a car where it's really hard to tell how fast I'm going based on the engine noise, I need that speedo to be as simple as possible! :D

blorg said:
I prefer a dial-style speedometer.

I don't like the fact it is easily visible and can be read from other cars...like cop cars. Been thinking of adding some "blinders" in the eyebrow so you have to look at it straight on.

wq2345 said:
The 3.3kW charger

Just doesnt make sense why they didn't put the 6.6kW charger in the first place!
Well with a 3.3kW charger my LEAF is charged before 5:00am every night. According to my data, it's normally finished charging between 3:30am and 4:00am. If a 6.6kW charged charged my LEAF a couple of hours sooner what difference would it make? Both chargers get the job done before I need the car. On the road, I would rather use my DC quick charger. Who wants to wait around for even a 6.6kW charger, if you're traveling between metro areas? Give me an 80% charge in under 30 minutes any day! Seems like 6.6kW charger is in the middle, too slow when you're on the road and faster than you need for over night charging. But a 6.6kW charger costs more and also puts more stress on the grid than is necessary.

ENIAC said:
On the road, I would rather use my DC quick charger.
As would we all...but I can't say I've SEEN any, and I can't quite convince myself that I'm going to real soon. It would be nice to know that charging during an hour or two at the mall might actually be useful.

OK, I have had my LEAF for one week and put 300mi on it. As I posted in another thread, it is "practically perfect in every way". But being "practically perfect" doesn't mean that there is not an annoying trait or two. :D Mine seem to be common:

#1 - Miles remaining is not helpful. Jumps around all the time and I don't think it has ever been consistent with actual miles. I am getting used to it, but this actually has tended to create range anxiety for me.
#2 - That annoying "OK" button I have to push everytime I turn it on.

Long4Leaf said:
#2 - That annoying "OK" button I have to push everytime I turn it on.

YES! We need to find a way to disable it. I know that for the nav system on the Murano our forum found a way to disable the confirmation screen. I'll have to look that up and see if there is any way to apply a similar fix to the Leaf.

I found out that when you lift the back seat up after being forward you have to disconnect the middle seatbelt because it tends to lock the belt. It also will break the little plastic retainer button off the belt.

Back