Los Angeles to kick the Leaf out of the HOV lanes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what we are seeing is a continuation of our failure of government. we pay taxes but get an ever smaller and smaller return on goods and services and we have been misled as to why which has redirected our focus.

so where has the money gone? well, besides being woefully under taxed, we have less people paying it and its not immigrants i am referring to, its big business.

more and more we have corporations getting a PO Box in Switzerland and hiring someone to shuffle paperwork there so they can get away with paying taxes that are much lower than the US.

so the company operates here, collects its profits from us, but pays no taxes. the government then has to use our money to support the infrastructure these major companies use.

fact; one loaded semi does more damage than 50,000 passenger vehicles.

fact; the federal gas tax has not been raised in 20 years and 2 months

fact; most countries impose tariffs on foreign trade to protect their home businesses, so why dont we? we get crapped on but dont retaliate. well, back in the day when we still thinking we were invincible (we were fooling ourselves then too) we said "ok, no problem we can afford it"

well, we cant any more and i think the first tariff should be put on all products by "American" companies who have chosen to register to pay taxes some where else.

this would allow us to not have to pay extra fees for roads used by corporations. you say America is becoming a welfare state, well you are right and I along with my illegal immigrant brothers are sick and tired of supporting Corporations!

DaveinOlyWA said:
fact; most countries impose tariffs on foreign trade to protect their home businesses, so why dont we? we get crapped on but dont retaliate. well, back in the day when we still thinking we were invincible (we were fooling ourselves then too) we said "ok, no problem we can afford it"

well, we cant any more and i think the first tariff should be put on all products by "American" companies who have chosen to register to pay taxes some where else.

The US has tried the tariff / protectionist / isolationist thing already. It never works out well. I don't support it now.

One practical issue that I remember as a kid. We embargoed wheat from USSR for obvious reasons then, and what do you think happened to farmers in THIS country with more wheat than they could sell?

It was a bad idea then because it prevented trade between countries. An embargo of this type only forces American companies to pay their fair share of the tax burden

I haven't heard anything about this until now, but apparently there is a blurb on the Metro Express website FAQ saying that Governor Brown had signed a law exempting EV/CNG vehicles from any FasTrack requirements effective March 1 of this year. I'll see if I can find out more about it and get back with additional details. But it appears to be good news!

I drive a CNG/Electric/Zero Emission vehicle; do I have to pay a toll? Will I need FasTrak®?

Yes. These vehicles are charged a toll similar to all other solo drivers. A FasTrak is required. Governor Brown signed a bill stating that alternative fuel vehicles will be exempt from FasTrak requirements on the Metro ExpressLanes starting in March 2014.

Ah. Apparently this is AB2405, from friend of the EV driver Bob Blumenfield. We have much to thank this gentleman for!

Don't know why this one never made it onto my radar, like his other bill did (AB266, extending the life of our HOV lane decals).

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB2405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hill said:
Wow, the thread laid dead since 2012 .... a little late to the party, eh Mike?
;)

I guess. I did a search first, before posting, and it didn't come up with Blanga's posts about AB2405.

The new information would appear to be the March 1st expiration date for EVs being required to pay tolls on the 110 and 10.

Read it like 5 times, and still unsure if I am interpreting the AB2405 correctly. Does it basically say that starting 3/1/14 cars with HOV stickers can drive on *all* California HOT lanes for free?

Valdemar said:
Read it like 5 times, and still unsure if I am interpreting the AB2405 correctly. Does it basically say that starting 3/1/14 cars with HOV stickers can drive on *all* California HOT lanes for free?

That's the way I read it. What I can't figure out (and Metro is not saying) is whether or not a special FasTrak for qualifying EVs is still needed, otherwise without it a picture of your car will be taken.

TomT said:
And there is, apparently, still a minimum monthly charge for it...

mwalsh said:
February 23rd. And you still need a transponder, set to the appropriate switch setting:

Yup. For the rare occasions that I use the Metro "Lexus Lanes" it's still cheaper for me to use my 91 Express Lanes transponder (which does not have a maintenance fee) and pay full price, rather than pay a minimum $36 every year just to have a Metro one with the selector switch.

Yep, I do exactly the same thing.

RonDawg said:
Yup. For the rare occasions that I use the Metro "Lexus Lanes" it's still cheaper for me to use my 91 Express Lanes transponder (which does not have a maintenance fee) and pay full price, rather than pay a minimum $36 every year just to have a Metro one with the selector switch.

TomT said:

mwalsh said:
February 23rd. And you still need a transponder, set to the appropriate switch setting:

the second transponder in a family is free, if you have an open account linked to a credit card. otherwise, there is a deposit. AAA gives a discount on the first one, or did when I got the first transponder for the ICE.
i really cant find confirmation at the METRO site that EV Leaf can use the HOT lanes in LA.
I have emailed them.

TomT said:

mwalsh said:

you can find the news, if you search around on FB page of MetroLanes.
Toll free for EVs with a sticker and a transponder.
more news promised as the learn it. Starts 2/23/14
https://www.facebook.com/expresslanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankyouOB said:
TomT said:

mwalsh said:

you can find the news, if you search around on FB page of MetroLanes.
Toll free for EVs with a sticker and a transponder.
more news promised as the learn it. Starts 2/23/14
https://www.facebook.com/expresslanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But what is not clear is the $3 monthly "maintenance" fee going to be waved for EVs? Otherwise the only way to get around that is to make the minimum "four trips" on the Metro HOT lanes every month, or qualify for the "Equity" program which is for low-income folks.

While I occasionally use the one on I-10, I don't use it four times a month.

they promise more info later and soon.
i dont know the answer. $36 a year to have access to the metro lanes is OK with me, how about you?

maybe someone can change the title, as it is very wrong now.

thankyouOB said:
$36 a year to have access to the metro lanes is OK with me, how about you?

In terms of cost, it's not much. But as I mentioned to TomT earlier, I don't spend $36/year in tolls in the HOT lanes. That's why I got a 91 Express Lanes FasTrak, instead of the Metro one, because it has a pricing tier where I don't have to pay a monthly fee, I just had to pay for the transponder (around $70 IIRC). And I don't even live nor work anywhere near the 91 Freeway. It's almost paid for itself in savings over Metro's monthly maintenance fee.

Back