Need new wiper blades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
Maybe the Trico Force wipers are better than the Flex model, but I bet they aren't cheaper than just refilling the rubber blade on the OEM wiper (looks like they are $43 on Amazon for both sides).

I dont know about the Flex model. I got the Force model because they are the top of the line for the Trico brand and they were on sale and they looked the same as the OEM.

Even on sale, they are NOT cheaper than refill blades!!
((my local O'Reilly Auto Parts Store had $15 off for the set.))

Do they perform better than the OEM? Absolutely!! (IRMV)

Its nice to know there are multiple options for folks that need wipers.

I splurged and bought a gallon of windshield fluid for $1. This was my first preventive maintenance investment in 5 months, so I am still very pleased with the LEAF ownership.

side note: For folks looking to replace the wiper (not just the refill blade) here is the recommended options from CARID <<~ clicky However, their prices are astronomical, but it's a nice tool.

wipers on sale today, for $2.99 for the 16" one.

http://www.sears.com/valvoline-silver-series-wiper-blade-16-in/p-02801326000P?prdNo=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thoughts are why replace the whole blade when all I need is the rubber insert?
So, for the sake of anyone else who's looking for those hard-to-find wiper inserts:

The Leaf uses wider ones than most cars in its class - and all the online configurators I've checked actually recommend the wrong part which is too narrow for the Leaf's OEM blades.
Many thanks to asinclair for providing the correct part number :D The part numbers are 288951AA0A for the driver side and 288951AA1A for the passenger side.
There's a Nissan dealer who's currently selling them on eBay for just $6.60 with free shipping. They're marketed for the Nissan Murano SUV, but they are the same ones that the Leaf uses.

johnr said:
Many thanks to asinclair for providing the correct part number :D The part numbers are 288951AA0A for the driver side and 288951AA1A for the passenger side.
There's a Nissan dealer who's currently selling them on eBay for just $6.60 with free shipping. They're marketed for the Nissan Murano SUV, but they are the same ones that the Leaf uses.
I saw a few for $8.38 - where'd you see the ones for $6.60?

http://r.ebay.com/ChTqBT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://r.ebay.com/m7qmuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:

Here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/221297240557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - but it looks like they've sold out, so the ones you found for $8.38 are the best deal right now.

johnr said:
drees said:

Here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/221297240557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - but it looks like they've sold out, so the ones you found for $8.38 are the best deal right now.
Cool - I need some soon so I bought the two I linked to - we'll see if they are the right ones or not. At half the price of full replacements, should be worth it.

drees said:

Got these and they are the exact replacement. Takes less than 30 seconds to swap out a blade. This particular vendor (iridiumauto), though is pretty slow on shipping. Bought the blades on Wed Oct 16, one shipped on Wed the 23rd, the other on Fri the 25th. Once shipped was delivered in typical time.

iamwjh said:
For my 2012 LEAF, I just purchased and installed Trico Force wipers. They were on sale.
Old wipers off, new wipers on. Took longer to open the packages than to swap the wipers.

The OEM wipers were streaking and had gaps on the driver side where there was not 100% contact with the glass. Performed like that since day one. And this slowly became VERY annoying and unacceptable to me. The Trico units perform so much more noticeably better.

I am a big fan of the Bosch brand, which I use exclusively on my other vehicle, however these Trico Force units were almost identical to the LEAF OEM and the Trico units provided a seamless drop in for appearance sake.

these worked fine for me. the long one streaked for the first day in two spots, but i must have cleaned something off it or the windshield, because, i can now report, they work fine and fine and fine for days.
if i can get the inserts from the nissan shop when i am there, i will do that and hold on to them as a cheaper fix for next time.

johnr said:
My thoughts are why replace the whole blade when all I need is the rubber insert?
So, for the sake of anyone else who's looking for those hard-to-find wiper inserts:

The Leaf uses wider ones than most cars in its class - and all the online configurators I've checked actually recommend the wrong part which is too narrow for the Leaf's OEM blades.
Could someone post detailed instructions on how to change the wiper inserts, possibly details from service manual?
I know they slide out, but searched and could not find detailed instructions.
I found one reference that mentioned "just carefully peal back the rubber so you can slide them out" and person responded back "easy once you know what to do".
Is that instruction correct?
Peeling back the rubber from the frame seems like an unusual approach for changing wiper inserts, but the way Nissan wiper frame is constructed does look like you would have to do that to change the insert.
Almost like the frame wasn't really designed for changing the insert.
Although the inserts are available from Nissan.
Thanks for the help. :oops: :D

I'm guessing that the 2013's are a different blade design where the hook latch is offset below the blade. Bummer as I just broke my old set removing them from the car and the replacement rain X do not fit properly.

Bottom is OEM Nissan Blade. Top is aftermarket.

TimLee said:
Could someone post detailed instructions on how to change the wiper inserts, possibly details from service manual?
I know they slide out, but searched and could not find detailed instructions.
I found one reference that mentioned "just carefully peal back the rubber so you can slide them out" and person responded back "easy once you know what to do".
Is that instruction correct?
Peeling back the rubber from the frame seems like an unusual approach for changing wiper inserts, but the way Nissan wiper frame is constructed does look like you would have to do that to change the insert.
Almost like the frame wasn't really designed for changing the insert.
Although the inserts are available from Nissan.
Thanks for the help. :oops: :D
The inserts just slide out, but they only go one way - if I remember correctly I popped the wipers out from the car so they're not against the windshield, then pulled the original inserts out in the direction outward (away from the vehicle). They feel like they won't come out but with a good tug they break loose and come right off. Then slide the new inserts in from the same side. A slight amount of wiggling to help them go through the grooves. Then a final pop and they're in!

I'm reviving this thread just to save other Leafers a lot of time and ha$$le trying to find replacement wiper blades I went through. Wasted a lot of time searching for refills online and at auto supply chains (where their recommended replacements are all too narrow--lots of misinformation out there).

Lots of entries in this thread about finding a compatible replacement for the whole blade assembly before asinclair posted about how the dealer used rubber refills for the Murano--a perfect fit for the Leaf. Don't replace, refill!

Model numbers for the refills are 28895-1AA0A for 26" driver side, 28895-1AA1A for 16" passenger side. Best price I found is a dealer on ebay--$6.49 ea. free shipping.

Install just like you would refills on any vehicle. Raise wiper arm off windshield, squeeze clip and slide the blade frame off wiper arm toward windshield, pinch and slide out the old rubber blade, slide in the refill so the tracks align with the catches on the frame, secure frame back on the wiper arm. Done!

RickW said:
Model numbers for the refills are 28895-1AA0A for 26" driver side, 28895-1AA1A for 16" passenger side. Best price I found is a dealer on ebay--$6.49 ea. free shipping.
Thanks asinclair and rickw. Just ordered… We'll see if they are better than when new. The rubber performance then was weak from day one. My guess is the fresh inserts will be better on my almost 3 year old LEAF.

Has anyone found a replacement insert for the rear wiper?
I haven't replaced that one yet, and it's starting to get ratty.

garsh said:
Has anyone found a replacement insert for the rear wiper?
I haven't replaced that one yet, and it's starting to get ratty.

See my Jan 31 post (page 8) on $9 Trico blade swap for rear. Now that someone has found the inserts for cheap I may look into that for the front. Here's the excerpt about the rear blade:

I have a $9 solution for the rear blade! Noone has a replacement rear blade but I figured out how to replace the rubber insert off a TRICO Exact Fit. The O'Reilly Auto Parts guy was very helpful - he showed me how to remove the blade. You have to twist it about 90 degrees (rotate end closest to arm center towards window) to release some pins that lock it into place, then you remove the wiper by sliding a center spindle out of its slot. This is similar to ones at the store but not quite. However, I was able to buy a TRICO Exact Fit 10" rear blade for $8.50 and then remove the rubber insert from it and use it. You need to pull one end of the rubber blade insert away (perpendicular to the blade) from the wiper to avoid the end caps, then slide it the length of the insert. The TRICO exact fit insert is removed the same way. Then carefully slide the TRICO insert into the original OEM wiper. You don't need to transfer the metal stiffeners - the TRICO ones work fine. It's not 100% identical, and it's a tight fit - it will frequently jam up if you don't do it slowly. But after a few seconds of gently coaxing it, the fit looks good. It may not be quite as perfect as OEM blade replacement, but a lot cheaper and you can get these at any auto parts store.

I just replaced mine after two years. decided that getting them at the dealer was worth the small extra price over cheapest online (there is value in just getting something done). I had bad luck with inserts on my previous car.

Phatcat73 said:
I'm guessing that the 2013's are a different blade design where the hook latch is offset below the blade. Bummer as I just broke my old set removing them from the car and the replacement rain X do not fit properly.

Bottom is OEM Nissan Blade. Top is aftermarket.

Our 2012 is the same way. I ordered some off Rockauto.com and they would not fit.

Can anyone confirm how to order blades that will actually fit this type on the leaf?

Back