Official California SDG&E Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
However, a 3rd meter would measure your PV generation?
If so, it is a private meter, not read by SDG&E, right?

The California Solar Initiative rebate can be obtained up front based on predicted usage (Expected Performance Based Buydown), or based on actual generation for 5 years (Performance Based Incentive). The latter is potentially more lucrative, but requires a utility grade meter and official readings reported by your utility.

wsbca said:
The California Solar Initiative rebate can be obtained up front based on predicted usage (Expected Performance Based Buydown), or based on actual generation for 5 years (Performance Based Incentive). The latter is potentially more lucrative, but requires a utility grade meter and official readings reported by your utility.

Correct. In my case, the 5 year payout is on pace to net about $7,000 more than the up-front payment. :mrgreen:

Jimmydreams said:
wsbca said:
Jimmy - do you reckon the EV digital meter is pre-programmed with the time windows for the TOU rates, so when they come and read it in person they will manually record the readings for the different slices? Can you actually see those distinct values accumulating on the (presumably rotating) display?
My guess is that the meter isn't programmed in any way at all....it simply reports what power was used when. Once that data gets into SDG&E's computer, THAT system crunches the data and decides what rate to apply to what chunk of data. Since the GE meters aren't 'smart', they would have to be manually reprogrammed every time there was a rate change. That's easier to do on the mainframe computer.

Nope, wsbca was right.

I have a GE k2v meter with TOU programming. The meter itself totals out Rate A/B/C etc. You can see the totals in the display rotation, or use an external magnet to step manually. The programming includes the date/time windows for each rate.

I can read all the Rate totals via the IR port. The meter reading person does much the same, using GE's meter-reading software.

Note that the TOU rate windows (seasonal) do not match what you might think.. with some strange stuff going on around Daylight Savings Time change. I believe the meter is still on the Old DST schedule, which makes for some strange "hours" in Spring and Fall while they're out of sync.

Anyway, the GE meters don't report instantaneous or hourly use to SDG&E. (They're not Zigbee-enabled) The on-board recording is limited.

GroundLoop said:
Nope, wsbca was right.

I have a GE k2v meter with TOU programming. The meter itself totals out Rate A/B/C etc. You can see the totals in the display rotation, or use an external magnet to step manually. The programming includes the date/time windows for each rate.

I can read all the Rate totals via the IR port. The meter reading person does much the same, using GE's meter-reading software.

Note that the TOU rate windows (seasonal) do not match what you might think.. with some strange stuff going on around Daylight Savings Time change. I believe the meter is still on the Old DST schedule, which makes for some strange "hours" in Spring and Fall while they're out of sync.

Anyway, the GE meters don't report instantaneous or hourly use to SDG&E. (They're not Zigbee-enabled) The on-board recording is limited.

Wow....sounds horribly inefficient and rife with problems. Oh well....I am about to do my 'true-up' bill for my last year of electrical usage. Should be an interesting bill. ;)

Welcome to SDG&E.

That's what eventually drove me off TOU billing -- a complete inability to understand my bill or derive similar numbers from rates and consumption. It's worse than taxes.

I say this as someone who fully understands my Verizon bill and property tax, so...

Are there any new Leaf owners in San Diego that are NOT participating in the EV Project, and have solar energy, and are using SDG&E schedule EV-TOU-2? This EV rate schedule does not require a separate meter so it applies to the entire house electricity usage. It isn't clear to me whether this rate schedule applies to solar customers but I don't see anything that says that it does not.

http://www.sdge.com/documents/customer/totalrates/050109/schedule_ev.pdf

Frank said:
It isn't clear to me whether this rate schedule applies to solar customers but I don't see anything that says that it does not.

http://www.sdge.com/documents/customer/totalrates/050109/schedule_ev.pdf
You can use any of these three tariffs. Note that two require a separate meter and one does not.

I'd think that if you had a PV system you wouldn't want to use these schedules. The advantage of the separately metered TOU rates is that you start the baseline over for the charger. The disadvantage is that the rates are higher -- the lowest rate is essentially the rate you'd pay on DR and they go up from there. If you have a PV system you're probably not going much over baseline if at all. In this case you're better off on the standard tariff.

Slightly different for the whole house TOU rate. That one would be advantageous if you can shift a lot of your electric use to off-peak, including the car. But again if all your usage is within baseline you'd always be better off using DR.

The more interesting question would be, if you are currently generating a surplus, would going with DR-SES be worthwhile. You'd be paying at least 28% more for every kWh but if you're getting credited at 2x the rate during the day and paying x at night when charging it might be cheaper. You'd have to run the numbers, keeping in mind the 2x advantage is only for summer.

garygid said:
I could understand my true-up bill. Seems like numbers from nowhere, no calculations or explanations given. Perhaps they did some special hidden thing at 1 Jan this year.
Did you get the single sheet back up statement? They just add up the net number of kWh you've used or produced each month, which gives the total kWh used. (I found these consistent with mine, off only by a small amount attributable to when they read the meter). If you have credits they subtract all the transmission and distribution fees since there weren't any, as well as the taxes and bond chargers on those fees. That leaves only the total kWh used (or produced) and the Minimum Charge Adjustment.

Since they haven't figured out what to do with production credits yet, any excess production credits are just sitting in limbo, leaving you with the Minimum Charge Adjustment.

Any particular thing which was confusing?

Is there anyone that is serviced by SDG&E that is participating in the EV Project but does NOT have a second dedicated meter installed by SDG&E to measure the EV electricity consumption? Someone posted a message earlier in this thread that said SDG&E is allowing EV Project participants to not have a second meter installed, if they didn't want to take advantage of the "experimental" rates. But they would still be a Project participant and still get a free charger. The reason I ask is that an SDG&E representative contacted me today to explain the EV Project installation and he did not indicate there was an option to not have a second meter installed.

Frank said:
Is there anyone that is serviced by SDG&E that is participating in the EV Project but does NOT have a second dedicated meter installed by SDG&E to measure the EV electricity consumption? Someone posted a message earlier in this thread that said SDG&E is allowing EV Project participants to not have a second meter installed, if they didn't want to take advantage of the "experimental" rates. But they would still be a Project participant and still get a free charger. The reason I ask is that an SDG&E representative contacted me today to explain the EV Project installation and he did not indicate there was an option to not have a second meter installed.
I don't understand how you can be part of the EV project and not have the separate EV meter installed, or not be subject to one of the experimental TOU rates. That is the whole point of the project, to study charging habits and the effect of pricing incentives to charge off-peak, no? How would they do that if they don't know when you are charging it? Can you point to the previous post in this thread that says you can have a single meter and still participate? I browsed through all 10 pages and couldn't find it. After the project is over, it would be possible, but not during, AFAIK.

I got the same call from SDG&E today but didn't talk to the rep, my machine took the message. All he said was they were sending me info on the study and the 2nd meter installation, and I had to respond by the 24th if I didn't want to participate. Maybe the info they are sending will clear this up.

TT

ttweed said:
I don't understand how you can be part of the EV project and not have the separate EV meter installed, or not be subject to one of the experimental TOU rates. That is the whole point of the project, to study charging habits and the effect of pricing incentives to charge off-peak, no? How would they do that if they don't know when you are charging it? Can you point to the previous post in this thread that says you can have a single meter and still participate? I browsed through all 10 pages and couldn't find it. After the project is over, it would be possible, but not during, AFAIK.

I got the same call from SDG&E today but didn't talk to the rep, my machine took the message. All he said was they were sending me info on the study and the 2nd meter installation, and I had to respond by the 24th if I didn't want to participate. Maybe the info they are sending will clear this up.

TT

Sorry, I should have posted the link to the previous post I was talking about. Here it is: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2017&hilit=cpuc

I think the charging data for the EV Project would still be available through the Blink's Internet connection to EcoTality. I thought the second meter was only needed to satisfy SDG&E for billing purposes. But if SDG&E is going to bill you at the same rates as the rest of your house, the single meter should be OK for that.

ttweed said:
Frank said:
Is there anyone that is serviced by SDG&E that is participating in the EV Project but does NOT have a second dedicated meter installed by SDG&E to measure the EV electricity consumption?
I don't understand how you can be part of the EV project and not have the separate EV meter installed, or not be subject to one of the experimental TOU rates.

We are in the project, with a single meter, and not using the experimental rates...we have a solar PV system with net metering. I'm not sure that is a requirement for being given the choice, but it is why we elected to forgo the second meter when, at the last minute, we were offered that option. This was a topic of much discussion last summer...the issue was, if you were going to have any excess PV generation (beyond your household consumption), you were not going to be able to use it to charge your car. You would have to pay the bill for the meter upstream of your EVSE, and then apply under AB920 for reimbursement for your excess solar separately. And, at that time, one of the 3 experimental rates had a lowest (super-off-peak) rate far higher than the likely (wholesale) AB920 reimbursement rate. So you might end up using no net electricity, and still end up paying out of pocket. Which would undoubtedly skew any data they collected from your EVSE, because a rational consumer would then charge from the house account at L1 as much as possible to use their own electricity before buying any.

Further - the experimental rates were going to be strictly randomly assigned. So you wouldn't know what you were getting into until it was too late. The idea that your behavior would not be "normal" if you got stuck with the worst case rate (and were driven to use L1) seemed to be OK with SDG&E, they said it would be accounted for in the subjective (interview) aspect of the data collection. But I surmise that the Project was less enthusiastic about that potential skew.

At some point along the way someone realized that PV overproducers were not the completely insignificant minority that one might have assumed (probably because the very people who would buy an EV would also be likely users of solar). So they changed the rules...not only did they eliminate the low-spread experimental rate (the one with super off peak higher than any conceivable AB920 reimbursement), but they allowed you to turn down the second meter and remain on your current rate schedule.

For us that made the most sense - we sized our solar system to accomodate most if not all of our car usage.

As to data collection - we'll still have a Blink, which will report to the project. They will know what our electric rate structure is, it just won't be one of the experimental rates. They will also be able to collect data from our charging habits at other project EVSE sites etc.

If you don't have solar, the super off peak experimental rates (6-7c per kWh) are super attractive, and I don't think there'd be any reason to turn down the (free) second meter and that rate structure.

I don't know if this option persists, but it's the configuration we are currently operating in - we got our Clipper Creek EVSE in December, our car in January, and we're now waiting for our Blink to take the place of the Clipper Creek. We have a single net-metering compatible smart meter, which has been in place for about a month (before that we had an analog net meter), which reads 000006 kWh as of this morning (probably more now since it's been a bad solar day).

Thanks wsbca. The SDG&E guy didn't mention the option to not have a second meter today, and he knew that I have net metering with solar. I guess he just assumed I wouldn't be interested in it. But I have been thinking of going to EV-TOU-2 for the entire house, including EV. The Super Off Peak rate for EV-TOU-2 is $.144/kWh which isn't good compared to the $.07./kWh experimental rates. But, there is another advantage for me because EV-TOU-2 lowers my home's electricity bill because the Peak period also includes weekend days. The DR-SES schedule does not have a Peak period on weekend days. My PV system produces 90% of our usage so I always have an annual bill from SDG&E. The EcoDog FIDO software allows quick comparisons of different rate schedules, including all 3 EV-TOU schedules so I can see what the cummulative bill would be on that rate. The bill would be much lower with EV-TOU-2 because extra generation credits would be earned on the weekend days during the summer season.

My concerns with the second meter is that the billing department will take the two meters data and deduct meter two from meter one in 15 minute blocks. If errors are made in this process it will be hard to detect. Also, I was wondering if at the end of the Project I decided to go with one rate for the house like you have, would SDG&E remove the second meter and change the EVSE wiring at no cost to me?

One other thing I forgot to mention about the SDG&E call today. He told me that I would be charged $.17 per day for the second meter until I received my Leaf and began charging it. He said that it didn't make much sense to charge for non use of the meter but they could not work around that. Puzzling.

Frank said:
Sorry, I should have posted the link to the previous post I was talking about. Here it is: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2017&hilit=cpuc
OK, thanks. I see now that if you have a solar system on your home it is a total game-changer. You're right that they can still collect your charging patterns from the Blink unit, so all they are losing is the data about how the experimental TOU rates effect the different groups. I guess they also need to know how people with PV systems are going to charge their cars as well-you're actually a whole different group for the project, I suppose...

There's no choice for me though, w/ no PV system--I'm taking the second meter so I don't get billed on my DR rate schedule. I'd probably go into the 3rd tier regularly by charging a car on top of my regular usage.

I don't like the sound of this $.17 per day charge for the second meter, though. They better not put it in until the week before my Leaf arrives, then...

TT

ttweed said:
I don't like the sound of this $.17 per day charge for the second meter, though. They better not put it in until the week before my Leaf arrives, then...

TT

I don't believe there is a $.17/day charge for the meter. I thought that was on some of SDG&E's charts, but was told they discontinued the monthly fee.

I had the second meter installed because I wanted to option there for a future homebuyer if/when I eventually sell. It was free to install, so why not? If I don't like the rate structure, I can wait the 12 months (or 24 if they extended it) and then remove the meter. The box and wiring will still be there if someone wants to come back later to put a meter back in. :mrgreen:

Jimmydreams said:
I don't believe there is a $.17/day charge for the meter. I thought that was on some of SDG&E's charts, but was told they discontinued the monthly fee.

I had the second meter installed because I wanted to option there for a future homebuyer if/when I eventually sell. It was free to install, so why not? If I don't like the rate structure, I can wait the 12 months (or 24 if they extended it) and then remove the meter. The box and wiring will still be there if someone wants to come back later to put a meter back in. :mrgreen:

Did you get your second meter installed prior to taking delivery of your Leaf? If you did, can you check your SDG&E bill to see if there is a charge equivalent to $.17 per day? The SDG&E guy clearly stated that the charge per day would only be up until charging begins.

Good idea about the benefit of the second meter. So after the Project is over and if you decide that you want to only use one meter, what rewiring would be necessary? I assume SDG&E would pull the meter out of the socket and then leave the externally mounted socket box on your wall with a cover where the meter used to be?

Frank said:
Did you get your second meter installed prior to taking delivery of your Leaf? If you did, can you check your SDG&E bill to see if there is a charge equivalent to $.17 per day? The SDG&E guy clearly stated that the charge per day would only be up until charging begins.
The $0.17/day charge is a standard minimum billing charge per meter. Basically, for any billing period, your minimum bill will be $0.17/day or the cost of the electricity you use - whatever is less.

So you could have the meter installed for 29 days out of a 30 day billing period, then suck down $6 worth of electricity on the 30th day and your charge will be $6 (not $6 + $0.17*29).

In other words - if you have the meter installed early, invite your EV friends over for a "free" charge... ;)

drees said:
The $0.17/day charge is a standard minimum billing charge per meter. Basically, for any billing period, your minimum bill will be $0.17/day or the cost of the electricity you use - whatever is less.

So you could have the meter installed for 29 days out of a 30 day billing period, then suck down $6 worth of electricity on the 30th day and your charge will be $6 (not $6 + $0.17*29).

In other words - if you have the meter installed early, invite your EV friends over for a "free" charge... ;)

OK, I get it. Thanks. It is unlikely that the second meter will be installed more than one month prior to getting the Leaf. So as long as I charge the vehicle once within the 30 day billing period after the meter is installed, the minimum charge would be met and there would be no charges above and beyond the cost of the electricity for the one charge. Did I get it? ;)

Back