Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To each their own. I find most SUV's and CUV's totally repugnant. The Model X is the most efficient SUV, ever. And it looks pretty darn good, for an SUV.

jeff said:
My daughter was driving with me and asked "that ugly ass thing is a Tesla?"

Kinda reminiscent of those '80 cars like the Toyota Corolla that had a rear spoiler for effect with a speedo
that didn't exceed 85 MPH. Given its size, angle and the weight of the X, it's hard to believe that any real
rear down-force is needed or that it could contribute any. Maybe it affects the drag coefficient, but questionable. Wonder whether it's deployable based on speed.

lorenfb" Wonder whether it's deployable based on speed.[/quote said:
Answer: yes, it is a functioning spoiler, which tilts at about 45 mph, and provides increased mileage (around 2%). It retracts when the car is off.

javan said:
lorenfb said:
Wonder whether it's deployable based on speed.
Answer: yes, it is a functioning spoiler, which tilts at about 45 mph, and provides increased mileage (around 2%). It retracts when the car is off.

Thanks for the info, i.e. so it does have a useful function - countering the squared rear (drag).

Zythryn said:
Wannabeleafowner said:
Any one notice the two inch receiver on the back? Wonder what the tow rating is...or if its just for a bike rack.

5000 lbs.

Thank you sir. Just curious (and slightly off topic). Does the leaf have a tow rating? Thinking it would be cool to be able to hookup a kayak trailer or even a little 4 X 6 utility trailer. Wonder if it has been done.

Wannabeleafowner said:
Zythryn said:
Wannabeleafowner said:
Any one notice the two inch receiver on the back? Wonder what the tow rating is...or if its just for a bike rack.

5000 lbs.

Thank you sir. Just curious (and slightly off topic). Does the leaf have a tow rating? Thinking it would be cool to be able to hookup a kayak trailer or even a little 4 X 6 utility trailer. Wonder if it has been done.

My pleasure.
Officially, the Leaf has no tow rating.
Unofficially I have heard of people using it to tow items with an aftermarket hitch called the eco-hitch. I have no idea what weight though. I wouldn't guess very much.

Tesla's long waiting list for Model 3 needs a caveat

...It is certainly possible Tesla has 400,000 reservations from people who intend to buy a Model 3. But we at Automotive News have reservations of our own, because Tesla has apparently lifted its two-per-person limit on refundable deposits.

In an article Friday on investing website Seeking Alpha, the blogger Anton Wahlman claims to have placed 20 refundable deposits on the Model 3 without incident. (We thank him for his willingness to go wild with a credit card for journalism’s sake.)

This means opportunists could very well be placing $1,000 deposits in bulk...

Wahlman, a Tesla skeptic, suggests other possibilities...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160429/BLOG06/160429789/teslas-long-waiting-list-for-model-3-needs-a-caveat

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969630-put-20-refundable-deposits-tesla-model-3

Tesla thread on the subject:

No, you *can't* reserve 20 Model 3s...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/no-you-cant-reserve-20-model-3s.69260/

Wannabeleafowner said:

ok, I am likely wrong but I thought 2" receivers had max rating of 1500 lbs or am I thinking of something else? (could be just the 2" receiver I have...)

Wannabeleafowner said:

no it does not have a tow rating and yes, it has been done by several people. I think the most anyone has towed for any distance is around a 1000 lbs or so

Zythryn said:
Wannabeleafowner said:
Zythryn said:
5000 lbs.

My pleasure.
Officially, the Leaf has no tow rating.
Unofficially I have heard of people using it to tow items with an aftermarket hitch called the eco-hitch. I have no idea what weight though. I wouldn't guess very much.

I have a eco-hitch and its rated to 1500 lbs

DaveinOlyWA said:
Wannabeleafowner said:

ok, I am likely wrong but I thought 2" receivers had max rating of 1500 lbs or am I thinking of something else? (could be just the 2" receiver I have...)
2" receiver can tow 10k+ lbs, AFAIK. Depending on the capability of the tow vehicle, of course...

Firetruck41 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Wannabeleafowner said:

2" receiver can tow 10k+ lbs, AFAIK. Depending on the capability of the tow vehicle, of course...

wrong. capacity is dependent upon class and the hitch itself, not the car

Back