Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiat Chrysler CEO says can build Tesla Model 3 rival if makes business sense:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-tesla-idUSKCN0XC26B
"I am not surprised by the high number of reservations," Marchionne told journalists following a shareholder meeting in Amsterdam, saying he had great respect for Tesla chief executive Elon Musk. "But then the hard reality comes in ... making cars, selling them and making money doing so."

Marchionne said he did not understand how the Model 3, Tesla's first mass-market car, could be sold for 35,000 euros ($39,600) at a profit.

"If he can show me that it can be done, I will do it as well, copy him, add Italian style to it and put it on the market within 12 months," he added.
Yep on the hard reality. Let's see if Tesla actually turns consistent profits once Model 3 production has really ramped up. So far, as I've pointed numerous times, they've racked up over $2 billion in net cumulative losses.

Isn't Marchionne the guy who said he hates building the Fiat 500e? Italians seem to be able to build either cheap cars (Fiats) or good cars. They have had little luck in general doing both.

cwerdna said:
Fiat Chrysler CEO says can build Tesla Model 3 rival if makes business sense:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-tesla-idUSKCN0XC26B
"I am not surprised by the high number of reservations," Marchionne told journalists following a shareholder meeting in Amsterdam, saying he had great respect for Tesla chief executive Elon Musk. "But then the hard reality comes in ... making cars, selling them and making money doing so."

Marchionne said he did not understand how the Model 3, Tesla's first mass-market car, could be sold for 35,000 euros ($39,600) at a profit.

"If he can show me that it can be done, I will do it as well, copy him, add Italian style to it and put it on the market within 12 months," he added.
Yep on the hard reality. Let's see if Tesla actually turns consistent profits once Model 3 production has really ramped up. So far, as I've pointed numerous times, they've racked up over $2 billion in net cumulative losses.

And, as people have pointed out numerous times, the cars are sold at a profit.
And the profit from the cars, plus a bit more, is spent to build a worldwide infrastructure..

That isn't cheap for a new kid on the block.

I'm just fine if this guy is skeptical, he can just get out of the way.
Others will either continue to lead or follow.

redLEAF said:
Let the speculation continue for other variants even before it hits the market ... looks good as a 'shooting brake' (British-speak for station wagon) to me but have always been a bit partial to as much functionality as possible in my cars ... what do you think?

tesla-model-3-sportwagon-crosswagon-render-255.jpg

I would buy the wagon version in a heartbeat. The photoshop above looks like the other car I have in my garage.
TROISQUARTARRIERE1.jpg

cwerdna said:

What would your plan be for creating a mass-market-capable EV manufacturing company from scratch? How much capital would you expect to have to burn through before you reached that level? If they were making net profit at this stage, they'd be doing it wrong, imho.

Nubo said:
cwerdna said:

What would your plan be for creating a mass-market-capable EV manufacturing company from scratch? How much capital would you expect to have to burn through before you reached that level? If they were making net profit at this stage, they'd be doing it wrong, imho.

At this point in time, very little of Tesla's losses have been the result of any of the Model 3's R&D.

The Model 3 will be basically a scaled MS with selective technologies from the MS being sold at a loss
or near break-even, i.e. the 15 - 20 % GP of the MS will approach zero. Again, the key technology affecting
profitability will be battery costs, as will be the case for all gen 2 BEVs with a sub $40K resale price.
As has been mentioned many times, the economy of scale battery cost reduction from the GF probably
will provide some benefit, but it's highly overrated.

The model S has the same front end ?? The flat nose ? If so then yeah you're both right probably a model S.

On the plus side I convinced my mother in law to go electric and she pre ordered a model 3 !

Sondy132001 said:
The model S has the same front end ?? The flat nose ? If so then yeah you're both right probably a model S.

On the plus side I convinced my mother in law to go electric and she pre ordered a model 3 !

omg...

I guess the pic above just added to the confusion. That's not a Model 3 but the newly face lifted Model S. Likely, what you saw in Pismo Beach.

This is for sure not the Model S as there are many of those around here, but I'm not sure what it is. There's also a brown one down the street from me.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

jeff said:
This is for sure not the Model S as there are many of those around here, but I'm not sure what it is. There's also a brown one down the street from me.

That is a Model X

Zythryn said:
jeff said:

That is a Model X

Yes, especially when one discovers the ugly spoiler (Mickey Mouse)!

Back